mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you consider that you won't be able to see any of it with the bezel and grill on....it was nearly a complete waste of time :) For some reason....I seem to enjoy the time wasters the most :)

• Like 1

I almost spent the time watching TV....but I made some bobbles for Mend :)

Delrin UCA bushings. I tweeked how I was turning them and I may have it down to be quick enough to make it worth selling them :) ...but that's another thread :)

100_4201.jpg

100_4203.jpg

HUGE THANK YOU to Madmax!!!!!! I revised the bracket artwork...yet again.....and lookey what he sent me!! :) Since these babies were done on a water jet, I went ahead and had it cut the mounting holes too. They came out so sweet!!!

100_4334.jpg

100_4348.jpg

He leaves this little (.025") bridge between the tabs so that the individual tabs don't fall through the grating on the water jet. Bend them back and forth a couple of times and they leave a very small nub. 2 seconds on the belt sander and they were gone! The hole in the tab is nearly perfect. I tried about 6-7 times to get the camera to shoot the tiny little bump, but it wouldn't.....you have to look for it even when it's in your hand.

100_4333.jpg

100_4352.jpg

100_4360.jpg

The first pic is after about 10-15min in the blast cabinet. The glass beads will take off the mill scale, but not very quickly. So, I decided to see if the Muriatic acid was still good...it was :) I did a single plate to start with to see if it was still strong enough. I didn't realize how deep it was in the bucket until after I dipped the first one. I stacked the rest of the pieces to save a ton of time. The acid really doesn't care how many pieces you stick in. It will do the stack just as fast as it will the single plate.

100_4367.jpg

100_4370.jpg

100_4371.jpg

100_4372.jpg

100_4373.jpg

You can see the rest of the tabs waiting their turn. I fanned them a bit so they'd stand up in the bucket and leave the bolt sticking out for me to grab. The plate at the bottom of the pic is after being rinsed and dried. The top is the one I bead blasted the mill scale off of. In the bottom pic, same plates, but the bottom one got about 45 sec in the blast cabinet....cleaned up really quickly!!! The acid saved a ton of time!!!

100_4374.jpg

100_4375.jpg

This plates are from the stack in the first pic above. You can see where the washers kept the acid from doing it's thing. Those small amounts of mill scale come off easy enough in the cabinet. The acid did the hard part!!

100_4381.jpg

Now I need to make some more spacers on the lathe and I can mock up the brackets for Mend :)

The bucket of clear water is to rinse the parts off. You don't want to be walking around with the acid dripping off the parts. You also don't want to take the part with acid on it into a confined space, like a wash room to rinse them.

Oh.....and for pete's sake.......if you can't hold your breathe more than 20 seconds to load, unload, rinse the parts....WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!!! This stuff is really nasty on your lungs!!!! Prob with trying to hold your breath.....something delays you, you exhale and then take a bigger breath then you would have normally. I have health insurance and lots of life insurance....and I'm lazy...........hhmm...wait...you can't see that I'm not wearing one....so never mind.....I had a respirator on!!! :)

Psh and I got chewed to pieces for advocating the use of acid!!!!! lol

Mike I can't stand your thread because every time I look at it I feel the NEED for a nl. looking good.......

I vaguely remember something about you and the acid.....refresh my memory.... :)

I've been tempted to put a for sale sign on the NL :) Don't think you want to pay shipping!! :) Besides...I'd be asking more than it's actually worth. I drove it to work today.....everytime I do I keep wishing it had the new motor and auto trans!! :)

......but, heck.....this isn't the NL thread any way :)

Safety first??? I find other people's pain funny................not my own!! :)

I did get a bit further on the brackets for Mend. Here, they're just tacked, but I have fully welded them already. I need to do some clean up grinding and then I can mock up, tack and weld them into position on the main brackets. Then, it will be clean up and powdercoat. If you want to see some vid of the spacers being made, check out the 'let's see some machine work' thread...bottom of the page. Nobody ever responded to them, but they're there :) http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=8455&page=8

100_4405.jpg

100_4408.jpg

......bit more news......Mend is getting "real" paint!!!! I was going to shoot the interior with rattle cans, but I've since opted to go with a catalyzed acrylic enamel that I'll most likely pick up today. I've already ordered and paid for the Hot Rod Flatz(black) paint for the exterior. So...paint and bodywork will be a bit more involved than orginally planned....but the good news it that she'll last a lot longer and I don't have to worry about re-doing her :) Yea!!! I'm getting a bit more excited about doing all the work now that I know it will be permanent! :)

Edited by mklotz70

TruDat :)

We spaced picking up the paint today....we'll get it on the way home tomorrow. I'm kinda anxious to get Canby out of the way to I can get back on this. I'm going to end up spending too much time getting ready for the swap meet now. I decided I just didn't want to rush this project as much as it was going to need to be to get her to Canby.

I still don't plan on making Mend perfect, but what I do make nicer, I want to last! :)

• 2 months later...

Geez...over two months since I've done anything to Mend. That's pathetic!

I still haven't done much...I did pick up the paint. I just need to get the reducer, but until I have something actually ready to paint...I'm not in a hurry to do that. The push for some of the other items...paint, sewing machine...was to take advantage of having some cash on hand. Anyway....

Here's a couple of pics of the paint removal. I did this with the spray on Tal-strip....but I think I'm going to go get the gallon jug of it. It will go on heavier and penetrate better...at least that's the thought. This section used about 1/2-2/3's of a can. I'll get a better idea of coverage when I start another can.

After spraying it on, letting it sit for 10 min or so...I used a plastic bondo spreader and a metal putty knife to scrape it off. If I get it on heavy enough to start with, it will eat through both the rustoleum and the original paint....otherwise, I have to scrap off the rustoleum first and reapply. I'm going to tape off the intererior as I do around the windows...I don't want any damage to the interior paint. If you scrap after the paint has dried a bit, it just falls to the ground and you can sweep it up. If you scrap while it's still wet, it will fall in globs...which have to be scraped off the concrete. I'll put down a drop cloth next time :)

100_0177.jpg

100_0178.jpg

100_0179.jpg

100_0181.jpg

That looks like it works really good. How harsh/expensive is it?

I use aircraft remover but I don't like how harsh it is to use. The cost isn't great either.

Thanks guys. My bet would be it's about the same as the aircraft stripper....just in a spray can. It will burn if you don't wear gloves. You have to avoid the overspray, but you can cover odd surfaces much easier than with a brush. The gallon of Tal-strip is $29 and will need to be brushed on. I may get the quart and try it first.

Did I do a demo of the propane torch method? That's definitely more work than this, but no harmful chemicals at all....just some paint fumes....and flames :)

You can use a heat gun too, but the torch is instant. Basically heat up a stip of paint...you'll see it change colors or bubble....if it smokes or lights on fire, too hot.....but use a good sharp, stiff putty knife to scrape the paint off. The blade on mine won't bend and it's about 1.5" wide. You might want to use a glove...the metal will be hot. It will take a bit of force to scrape it off, but if you get the temp just right.....it's not bad.