mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

Thanks guys. My bet would be it's about the same as the aircraft stripper....just in a spray can. It will burn if you don't wear gloves. You have to avoid the overspray, but you can cover odd surfaces much easier than with a brush. The gallon of Tal-strip is $29 and will need to be brushed on. I may get the quart and try it first.

Did I do a demo of the propane torch method? That's definitely more work than this, but no harmful chemicals at all....just some paint fumes....and flames :)

I sell 5 gallons of aircraft stripper at my shop in LA for $92, Two types, alkali based B12, and acid based B15. Either one same price. Best price in California. Industriial strength, B12 for magnesium and titanium, usually landing gear. B15 for everything else. B15 strips light rust as well.

You should wear a respirator when torching as well, different elements in paint such as lead and cadium become vapors and you can inhale them, not to mention all the other stuff.

Also, when stripping with aircraft stripper respirator must have organic vapor cartridge, only use 8 hours max. Between use put in ziplock bag. respirator left in tool box or on bench top continues to absorb everything in air. At my shop I change respirator cartridges every 4 hours. Cartridge will filter smell long after it stops filtering vapors. Strippers have smell added just like natural gas. Overusing cartriges worst than no respirator.

Thats my .02, but I am still standing here because I gave you a dollar bill and I am waiting for my .98 in change.

Edited by zenndog
  • Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that safety lesson!!!! I do have organic vapor cartridges for my respirator...which I was not wearing....but they've been in the package only..no ziplock. So...I may just stop on the way home from work today and get some refills. Maybe several sets if I can afford them.

I was going to have Amanda start doing some of the stripping, but if it's that nasty....I think I'll just do it myself.

I hadn't even thought about the crap staying in the filter...then you end up still breathing it later anytime you wear it.

I'll have to look at the Tal-stip and see what it's got in it.

Great to see you back at it Mike. I know you aren't slacking since I have been watching the other projects too. :)

Seems like some aggressive ventilation would be good too- set up a fan to blow the fumes out the garage door, and try to work upstream of the fumes.

Glad to see you're still hanging in there! Mend keeps getting bumped for everyone elses stuff :( I'm kinda sitting at a crossroads right now. I've got the truck brake kits and the 411 kits as well. I either need to start an LLC to cover my rear liability wise, or quit doing them. If I do it, I've got a lot of other ideas that could use the "CYA" as well, but I'll end up spending all my time doing parts for everyone else. After paying for the licensing, setup, insurance, taxes, I doubt there'd be enough money in it to make it worth it.....and if I can't make enough to pay for my projects, what's the point? On the other hand....if I drop the kits and doing parts for other people, I'll have my time back to work on my stuff.....just probably won't have the $'s to do it. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go yet. I'm kinda leaning away from the biz idea so I can get back to my stuff. I don't enjoy doing the kits....only the prototyping. I'm also afraid that I'll spend all my time working just to pay the taxes and insurance. With overhead like that, I'd have to raise the prices, which would limit the market even more......so I just don't think it would be worth it. If I had a niche in the roadster market, they've got money...I'd probably go for it, but in the truck market....I don't see it. :) So...with any luck, I can get the 411 kits done/gone soon....get the last couple of truck kits sold and then get back on Mend! I'm hankerin' to do the wgn and the NL motor swap....but Mend is getting done first.....guess I'd better get busy!!

Hi Mike,

Patent your designs and sell them to someone to manufacture and market the products. Be sure whe you sell the rights to use your patent that you reseive royalties on every unit sold. This way as long as they are being made and sold you receive a payment.

I've actually considered that route. Great idea.......in theory....but the reality is that the market isn't big enough to attract a buyer or even make enough to pay for the patent. Now...if I could come up with something that has a more universal application besides datsuns..... :)

I would certainly consider finding someone that could do the manufacturing....without going the patent route. The prob I see there is that they'll actually want to make money on them and that will price the parts out of the datsun market :(

I've actually considered that route. Great idea.......in theory....but the reality is that the market isn't big enough to attract a buyer or even make enough to pay for the patent. Now...if I could come up with something that has a more universal application besides datsuns..... :)

I would certainly consider finding someone that could do the manufacturing....without going the patent route. The prob I see there is that they'll actually want to make money on them and that will price the parts out of the datsun market :(

I've seen some people come up with a design for something like this, and then sell just the "custom" parts, but require some work on the part of the customer. In this case I could see you have a batch of parts water jetted. Have a batch made of the parts that need to be turned. Have the customer do the welding (or have it done). This might make it tougher for them to come back on you since they supplied a critical part of the fabrication.

Liability is a tough thing to avoid either way. Even with an LLC, your level of protection isn't known until tested in court. I think a lot of small businesses are fairly safe from law suits because they don't have enough money to go after.

I don't think liability is that hard at all. A corporation with none if the tools/assets in its name, the end lol. Not much anyone can do about that.

I know it's moot, just saying.

I've actually had that brought to my attention already......send the pieces, let them get it welded. Prob is...most shops won't touch car parts...especially brakes......why....because of the liability issues. Not as many will sell since it's not bolt on. Heck....even when it is bolt on...some guys still want you to come install it. If a guy has the tools/abilities to do the welding....most likely, he has the ability to cut/drill the plates as well. At that point, I might as well simply sell him the CAD prints for $10 :)

It really is starting to frustrate me a bit. I'll think of something else I could build/make and sell and I get a bit excited about going the business route. Then, I start thinking about all the stuff I want to do for my own stuff and realize that there's no way I'll have the time if I start the biz! Catch 22 at this point!! :) If I had a bit more patience, I'd easily swing toward just doing my own stuff.....but I have trouble waiting for the $'s to show up! :) Anyway......I should be in the shop instead of online right now :) I just got two Costco canopys....one for the parts in the back yard, one for the side of the house. Mend can now stay under it while I strip the paint instead of sitting in front of the shop. :)

• 4 months later...

Wow...finally....an update...even if it's only a small one.

These are the tires I was originally going to put on, but I've since gotten some that are a bit nicer....so I mounted these up to some 320 rims so that I can put them on Mend while I work on it's rims. Thought I'd shoot some rattle can on just to see how it will look. The original rims will get done with much more care. :)

100_1912.jpg

100_1913.jpg

Thats Pretty Mike! That is what I plan on my 520 only in orange. Are you going to sandblast and powder coat the original rims?

The T switch is here I have to pick it up at the post office as our regular carrier has a problem with getting mail in the wrong mail box, so I have all packages held at the post office for pick up. I have to check the post office weekly as a lot of the time I do not receive notification that I have a package.

The plan is to PC the original rims. I rolled one of them up against Paula's truck. I told her I was going to mount them on hers and she said it better only be for pictures!! :) I like the green too. Anxious to see how the whole truck looks when done.

100_1916.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! :)

At least I'm making a tiny bit of progress on Mend. I finally got the disc brackets complete. I PC'd them green. The red ones are for Paula's 521. Now I just have to get Mend in the shop to install them!! :)

100_2097.jpg

Thanks guys!

What the heck is up with the new forum software? I'm subscribed to this thread, but I only happened to see there was a response because I was looking at new content. I've also been getting notifications from end of Jan. I guess I'll get these in a week or two? :(

for some reason my email notifications were turned off on a bunch of threads. I'm guessing that some of the threads I frequent less often, weren't actually subscribed to until after the last time I changed all the notifications. anyway......it's fixed now :)

• 3 weeks later...

Poor Mend!!!! At least she made into the shop finally!!! It's about time for the "Canby Crunch"!!!! Computer has got a mother board prob...so updates may be a bit spotty for a couple of weeks until I can get another one.

100_2216-1.jpg

100_2217-1.jpg

100_2219.jpg

100_2220.jpg