mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

I think these are finally done!! :) The first pics are of the one that still had the black on them a week or so ago. The orange tint is flash rust, which Ospho or metal prep would handle. I'll disassemble them and glass bead them so I can powdercoat them. The molasses works so well, that the screw that was rusted stuck....the one holding the trim ring......came out with my fingers. :) Pretty impressive if you have the time to let them sit in there for a couple of weeks. I pulled these out, rinsed them in the sink under hot water....blew them off with the air nozzle....they haven't been brushed or blasted.

100_3748.jpg

100_3752.jpg

100_3753.jpg

100_3755.jpg

100_3756.jpg

100_3760.jpg

100_3764.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd put this one up for reference....this is the black I was talking about....it's all gone now. At this point, I still couldn't get the screw out or the trim ring off.

100_3335.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Wharf :)

Well...these aren't Mend's brackets, but I don't have a disc thread going right now. These are BackwoodsDave's. Thought you might like to see how the Matte Black looked. Not the best pics, but they were still about 200deg when I took these.

100_3814.jpg

100_3815.jpg

100_3821.jpg

• Like 1

So..this isn't much of an update, but ...

I got tired of having to push Mend in and out of the garage, with and without help. Knowing she's a runner just made it seem like a waste of energy. It took me about 20min to look up the wiring, pull the switches out of a box, put the connectors on. Works like a champ!!! Flip the switch, push the button...vvrrrooomm!! :) Considering that I had to pull her completely out of the driveway to get the wgn in, it was much nicer actually driving her in and out :)

100_3859.jpg

100_3860.jpg

I had put a wooden block in to sit on, but it was my "shorty compensator"....the one that sits in front of my tool box so I can actually see what's in the top of my box :) It needed to return to it's previous duties since there's not much chance my legs are going to get longer and I'd better not be doing any jumping in the shop....it's only a 4" slab :)

So..I've been wanting to put some 510 buckets into Paula's 521. I had this bottom piece sitting in the back of the wgn and the floorboard rails have been in a box in the shop for months. I figured I'd clean one off, test the fit, and in the end, I'd have a more comfortable perch when I move Mend around :)

100_3944.jpg

100_3945.jpg

100_3946.jpg

100_3947.jpg

Looks like I'll have to massage the floor a bit when I actually put the buckets in Paula's. Not much though!! Sorry for the pic prob....not sure what the heck is going on with my camera, but it's getting annoying!!

100_3970.jpg

• Like 1
So..this isn't much of an update, but ...

I got tired of having to push Mend in and out of the garage, with and without help. Knowing she's a runner just made it seem like a waste of energy. It took me about 20min to look up the wiring, pull the switches out of a box, put the connectors on. Works like a champ!!! Flip the switch, push the button...vvrrrooomm!! :) Considering that I had to pull her completely out of the driveway to get the wgn in, it was much nicer actually driving her in and out :)

When we were in Pullman (1984-6) we had what was diagnosed as a problem with the ignition switch a few blocks from the local mechanic, so I walked over and he came back, ripped the harness off the back of the switch, pulled out a Y shaped piece of wire with spade connectors on each end and showed us how to start it using just that. First connector- nothing, second connector-dash lights up, third connector- engine cranks. Pull #3 when it catches. We got pretty good at this and drove it that way for the better part of a year. Do got some pretty strange looks from her friends when starting the truck this way. Ignition switches are so boring...

ps Why am I having trouble with the quotes??

Edited by ]2eDeYe
fixed the quote :)
  • Like 1
Why am I having trouble with the quotes??

You have to make sure that whenever you don't actually want to use ALL of the quoted section (pictures, swearing, long responses:D) that you still get the "[.....blablabla...]" on each side of the part you want. It's the first [ and the last ] that really matter the most. You should end up with a line like this...[the word QUOTE=person's name or tag] something that they said[the word QUOTE again]. Try going back and editing your last response with the partial quote from Mklotz...I'l bet you get it this time.:)

Edited by denveratsun
  • Like 1
So..this isn't much of an update' date=' but ...

When we were in Pullman (1984-6) we had what was diagnosed as a problem with the ignition switch a few blocks from the local mechanic, so I walked over and he came back, ripped the harness off the back of the switch, pulled out a Y shaped piece of wire with spade connectors on each end and showed us how to start it using just that. First connector- nothing, second connector-dash lights up, third connector- engine cranks. Pull #3 when it catches. We got pretty good at this and drove it that way for the better part of a year. Do got some pretty strange looks from her friends when starting the truck this way. Ignition switches are so boring...

ps Why am I having trouble with the quotes??[/quote']

...hhmm....since I have an extra ign switch...I suppose I could have wired that up instead :)

The quotes are like html commands...you need one to open and one with a / to close. The closing quote probably got caught up in the highlighting process when deleting :)

You have to make sure that whenever you don't actually want to use ALL of the quoted section (pictures, swearing, long responses:D) that you still get the "[.....blablabla...]" on each side of the part you want. It's the first [ and the last ] that really matter the most. You should end up with a line like this...[the word QUOTE=person's name or tag] something that they said[the word QUOTE again]. Try going back and editing your last response with the partial quote from Mklotz...I'l bet you get it this time.:)

...what he said :)

• Like 1

I had a friend with a 67/1200 or 1300 pickup (I'm sure I have the nomenclature wrong but you know what I mean) and as I recall it had a fitting for a crank on the crankshaft pulley, so he could break his arm starting it by hand. Does this sound right?? Does the NL have this?

Hey look- the quote worked! Thanks Denveratsun! :)

Edited by watsonius
  • Like 1

The '67 would have been the 520 model...Mend is a 521. The NL did/does have the crank hole, but I covered it up with a datsun logo keychain :) I have a crank fitting on the original motor, but not on the one that's currently in it. I didn't want to be tempted to try it. :)

The wgn is buttoned up and out of the shop. I need to finish up the brake kits, then I'll get what I can get done on Mend before Canby. I know she won't be finished and I'm going to push to take her....but it will be to the $5 section. I don't think we're going to take anything to show this year.....just don't feel like stressing over it. Last year, we had two of the 6 trucks that were there.......it's about time some of these other truck owners step up and bring their rigs to make a class!!!

A bit of stress is okay. Besides...once she's done, I get to play with one of my toys :)

She's still a runner/driver....as long as the windows are in and the brakes are done, I don't see why we can't bring her. :)

Last year, we had two of the 6 trucks that were there.......it's about time some of these other truck owners step up and bring their rigs to make a class!!!

Mike, I printed my registration out this evening for my TRUCK entry. Mailing it tomorrow. It's no trophy winner at all, doing it for the sport of it. Hoping that if a few others do the same that we at least get a truck class. I have talked to a few people with trucks that said that they would be entering, but we will see.

Cool. Paula and I are thinking we might reg one truck this year....mainly just to support the club, but I'm not going to worry about if it actually makes it or not. The safest bet would be Paula's 521.....If Mend is ready, it could slip into that spot at the last min. I doubt she will be since I also need to spend a good deal of time cleaning out the sheds for a swap meet space.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much, but I actually made a small amount of progress on Mend. I blasted one of the headlight buckets to prep it for PC(powdercoating) while I was waiting for the brake brackets to bake. I ended up selling all the brake kits I had, so now I'm waiting just a bit to get some new brackets. Since I have the PC stuff set up right now, I'm thinking I just might go ahead and finish these off with some PC today :)

100_4118.jpg

100_4120.jpg

100_4121.jpg

100_4122.jpg

100_4135.jpg

• Like 1

I figured that since I started the headlight refurb here....I'd post the rest of the info here too.

I want to pc the bucket assemblies which means I need to get the plastic pieces out. They're pressed into a hole and then expand on the backside. If you try to press/hammer them out, it will simply break them or strip the plastic down to the size of the hole. So...you need to squeeze the plastic down small enough to go back through the hole. It took me three tries, but I finally got the dimensions right on the tool to work. Of course, had it dawned on me to make the tool diameter the same size as the hole, I could have measured one of the empty holes and done it right the first time.

Here's some pics of the process. It ended up being a P size drill. I think by the time you get through these and the vid, the blanks will be filled in. 🙂

100_4154.jpg

100_4155.jpg

100_4161.jpg

100_4163.jpg

100_4164.jpg

100_4171.jpg

100_4173.jpg

.....and here it is in action 🙂

BktTool.mp4

....now to actually go finish pulling the other pieces so I can pc them 🙂

**edit......holy cow does photobucket suck!!!!  Tried to fix the vid link.....looks like it might have killed the pic links.....and the vid still doesn't work.  PB has super sucked with video....audio and image always getting offset.  😞

Edited by mklotz70
link update

Hi Mike,

I have my Head light buckets in the mail to you for the Klotz Special Clean & Powder Coat. OH guess I should ask "How Much?" Oh and "How Long?" LOL

Just Kidding. Great job. Will Those specialty tools be avaible soon on Ebay?

This is one of those things that you just wouldn't pay somebody else to do! :) I only did it cause I have all the stuff and I love pointless projects!! :) Once the bezels and grill are on, you'll have to look to even see any of the green!

.....wait...you can sell stuff on ebay....I only ever buy on there :(

...don't reckon I'll be making any more of those tools....why would anyone in their right mind do this to their rig?????? I think my siggy has been proven once again!! :)

Nice work Mike. Isn't it nice to be able to make some of the tools that weren't thought of. Or your just too cheap to buy. :D

lol......let's see you find one to buy!!!

Most of the time it's not so much that I'm too cheap to buy them....I've got a ton of tools!!! It's either that I can't find them or I can do them better/cheaper. I thrive on the challenge, too!!! :)