mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

Damn Klotz, Love the mirror. Hey, if you don't want Fisch, I'm up for adoption too.:D

EDIT: Oh, BTW, I'm garage trained too. I only pee on the floor once in a while now. Only when I see shiney stuff come off the mill do I still loose control.

Edited by Jester
  • Like 2
  • Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

LOL...you guys are funny. I'm still waiting for Driven, Datrod, and Bobmx3 to adopt me!!! :)

I keep thinking, "Dang....if I fix a couple more things on the NL, I can sell it for enough to buy a full size mill :) ....of course I don't have the power in the shop to run it, so I'll stick with this one :)

• Like 1

I actually got something done today too! :)

I've been dieing to try the wrinkle black PC. My gun was giving me fits....which I'm sure was operator induced!! I was going to use caps on the mounting bolts, but since I decided to put it on the tray with AL foil.....I needed it to have the bolt ends bare.....then I could clip the ground to the foil instead of the box :) Anyway.......I love the wrinkle finish!!!! I kinda wish I'd done the front in it too.

100_2214.jpg

100_2216.jpg

100_2217.jpg

100_2222.jpg

100_2224.jpg

100_2225.jpg

100_2226.jpg

100_2232.jpg

100_2233.jpg

100_2234.jpg

100_2235.jpg

I didn't prep the inside very well, but I wasn't worried about how it came out at all...and I didn't spray much powder in there. The backside was WAY heavy on the powder...gun prob. The knob is just sitting there. I'll be able to put it all together soon :) Of course, I'll have to finish the interior before I mount this baby in there!! :(

Edited by mklotz70
  • Like 2

Normally, I hang the parts and the gun doesn't give me grief because I'm aiming up. This time, I was shooting down and it was dumping powder out. I got it adjusted a bit better toward the end, but I still had to aim it up. I've already got a couple of other parts in mind for this finish :) Man...I sure wish I had an oven big enough to do a whole dash board!!!

• Like 1

Man...I sure wish I had an oven big enough to do a whole dash board!!!

Do what my uncle did Mike. I kid you not he took two crappy electric kitchen ovens, cut holes in their sides, built a metal tunnel between them, insulated that tunnel, viloa!

I questioned whether it was colder in the tunnel, he said nope, the insulation distributes the heat pretty well and I think he uses an oven thermometer in the tunnel to make sure he is up to temp.

You're freakin MacGyver after all, make one!

BTW, this heater looks GREAT! Better be careful or this rig will outshine your NL!

• Like 1

We did something similar with an old pizza oven. Just took the elements and conltrols from an old free home oven and put them in the free pizza oven case. Worked killer and it was almost free. You can find that stuff all the time for free on CL, lol.

I've also seen, (but never tried), surface heating with infrared heaters. They just move the heat along the surface (every 20 minutes after flow) and it seems to work. That's how guys are doing motorcycle frames and such at home. If you look around on the web, you'll see what I mean. One of these days, I want to try it just because, lol.

Edited by Creepy Cruiser
  • Like 1

Mike i used a heat lamp and it worked pretty good, i left it on one side at about 10 inches for about an hour than i moved it to the other side and repeated... I was just playing around though to see if it would work so i didnt watch the clock as closely as i do when stuffs in the oven

• Like 1

MacGyver....I loved that show!! :)

Great ideas on the ovens! I've actually looked into it a bit and I can do it, I just don't have the room. I just may try the heat lamps.....they wouldn't take up any room when I was done. They'd heat up the garage nicely too :) I would need to run the fan because of the fumes. I think it would probably work fine on the dash....the thin sheet metal flows out really quickly!! Gee.....I've only got 3 or 4 dashes to play with....uumm...521's that is.... :) There's at least one 320 dash in the shed too.

• Like 1
Mike i used a heat lamp and it worked pretty good, i left it on one side at about 10 inches for about an hour than i moved it to the other side and repeated... I was just playing around though to see if it would work so i didnt watch the clock as closely as i do when stuffs in the oven

Any result pics?

• Like 1

Okay....so not everything turns out hunky-dorry around here :(

I thought I'd try the Liquid 2 Powder fluid and see if I coudl PC the lettering.

I should have went and read the instructions online again. Not only did I manage to burn the nice gloss black, but the letters were really spotty. I mixed by volume and it should have been by weight. Not sure if I'll try to fix this, do another front, or just PC over it with the wrinkle :)

100_2269.jpg

100_2270.jpg

100_2272.jpg

100_2280.jpg

I was glass beading this to PC it...but I may just leave it :)

100_2273.jpg

100_2277.jpg

• Like 1

My first post. I'm the other PO (Yellow Wheels is my wife). It is really satisfying and pretty amusing to see Mike dealing with all these things that annoyed me for years. I never wanted to tackle the heater box because I figured I would never get it back together, or that I would have to destroy it to get it out and apart. So I left it in the last position where it was stuck. Heat partly on all the time works pretty well in Seattle. Mike- have you looked at the fan motor yet? It must be pretty corroded too.

I love the mirror mount- I presume it is the one I saved? The mirror just crumbled to the floor one day so I ended with that worthless stick-on job. More later- I have plenty of stories about "Mend". Brian

• Like 2
My first post. I'm the other PO (Yellow Wheels is my wife). It is really satisfying and pretty amusing to see Mike dealing with all these things that annoyed me for years. I never wanted to tackle the heater box because I figured I would never get it back together, or that I would have to destroy it to get it out and apart. So I left it in the last position where it was stuck. Heat partly on all the time works pretty well in Seattle. Mike- have you looked at the fan motor yet? It must be pretty corroded too.

I love the mirror mount- I presume it is the one I saved? The mirror just crumbled to the floor one day so I ended with that worthless stick-on job. More later- I have plenty of stories about "Mend". Brian

Welcome to Ratsun, we hope to see you around often. :D

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

Great to see you here!!! I've sold cars to guys that told me of all the plans they had for it....but I never got to see any of them again. :( I think it's really cool that you get to see this. I enjoy sharing it. Just wish I could get off my lazy rear and do more work on it!!!

The fan motor wiped off nicely. I washed the fan. Ran just fine when I put some juice to it. It's above any of the fluid stuff and if the fan was running, it blew the moisture away before it got close to the motor.

100_2071.jpg

I'm looking forward to the stories!! :)

• Like 1

Not much of an update, but if I can keep up with small ones, I won't end up spending half a day trying to get caught up.

So, I thought I'd see if the molasses was still doing it's thing. I made it up over a year and a half ago!!! Still seems to be working. I don't want to turn this into a molasses or rust removal thread.....there's a dedicated rust removal thread on here already if I remember right.

Reminder of how they started......

100_2341.jpg

Here's the nicer of the two after about 3 days in the molasses.

100_2527.jpg

100_2528.jpg

The tub of mix still in the same spot.

100_2529.jpg

Every couple of days you want to pull the item out(easier with wire attached) and brush it to loosen the rust up...helps it get to more rust and work quicker. It's certainly not as fast as acid, but it's a ton safer!!!! I sprayed these off on the lawn with the hose.

100_2530.jpg

100_2531.jpg

I'm gonna watch this screw and see if it will take enough off to loosen it up :)

100_2533.jpg

100_2535.jpg

Edited by mklotz70
  • Like 1