mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

Thanks guys.

Charlie.....sure....want me to put those discs on too while I'm at it??! :) At $100/hr...I'll do almost anything! LOL! Probably be more like $25/hr...might be more motivating to be making money doing this than spending money. I'm just waiting for my bottle to run out on the welder so I can drop down another $100+ :(

I'll do some grinding today. I might even get started on putting the eng/trans in place and see how that goes.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been slow getting back on this, but did a lit here and there. Got several hours in last night....basically just grinding...very tedious. But, my mp3 player, audiobooks and ear muffs made it go by pretty quickly :)

Driver's side A pillar was similar to the right side....so it got a similar patch.

100_3056.jpg

100_3057.jpg

100_3058.jpg

100_3059.jpg

100_3060.jpg

100_3061.jpg

100_3062.jpg

100_3063.jpg

100_3064.jpg

100_3067.jpg

100_3068.jpg

100_3069.jpg

100_3070.jpg

100_3071.jpg

100_3072.jpg

100_3073.jpg

100_3074.jpg

100_3075.jpg

100_3076.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, for whatever reason, I haven't really felt like working on Mend. I heard something yesterday that got me going again. Something to the effect of....if you're committed to doing something...what does it matter whether you "feel like it" or not?! Just get off your butt and do it! So I did :)

I need to get the tranny mount sorted out so I can pull the eng/trans back out and get back to work on the eng bay.

The boards/rope are to hold the end of the tranny up tight against the underside to gain me some working room without having to use the jack or remove the eng/trans. The angle iron was to give me a hard, straight line to scribe against. I made the side cuts with the air body saw(air hacksaw). Once the bracket is made, I'll pull the eng/trans and weld metal back in the hole. :)

100_3157.jpg

100_3158.jpg

100_3159.jpg

100_3161.jpg

100_3162.jpg

100_3163.jpg

100_3164.jpg

100_3167.jpg

I had the mount on the stock way, but it turned out to be too close to get bolts to mount up. So, I turned it back around(modified way) to get the clearance. It should be fine now. This is the mount that came with the tranny and is much smaller than the 521 tranny mount, which is why I went with it. :)

100_3168.jpg

100_3170.jpg

100_3172.jpg

100_3174.jpg

Great work Mike. It's nice to look at other peoples work, you never know when & where an idea will pop into your head. I love your metal work. Keep after it. :thumbup:

Thanks guys!

I heard this idea...again....and it finally sunk in... Once you've committed yourself to something, what does it matter if you "feel like it". Basically, whether I feel like it or not, I've made a commitment to finish Mend before I work on any of my projects. So, whether I "feel like it" or not, I need to keep moving on it. Understand, I don't "not" feel it everyday, but a few days in a row really slow things down. I've always felt better when I'm making progress....so I simply need to make some progress everyday....or at least nearly everyday. :)

I'm looking to finish the mount tonight, then work on the shifter. Then I can pull the motor back out and get busy on the interior and eng bay. :)

Great job Mike. What trans mount is that? It woulbe a lot easier for me to use that mount on my truck also..

Mike if I could afford $25 an hour your would be hired. I did some mod work on the radiator & condenser yesterday will take some pictures today & post it up. :lol:

As far as the front disk brakes go I hope to do those next, as soon as my back recovers from 9 hours of being bent over cutting, grinding, & fitting. :D

Mike what motor & trans are you using? I know I sent you parts for a 3N71B automatic transmission is that going in Mend?

Great work Mike keep up the posting wit pictures it really does help us "challenged "ones. :thumbup:

Great job Mike. What trans mount is that? It woulbe a lot easier for me to use that mount on my truck also..

Mike if I could afford $25 an hour your would be hired. I did some mod work on the radiator & condenser yesterday will take some pictures today & post it up. :lol:

As far as the front disk brakes go I hope to do those next, as soon as my back recovers from 9 hours of being bent over cutting, grinding, & fitting. :D

Mike what motor & trans are you using? I know I sent you parts for a 3N71B automatic transmission is that going in Mend?

Great work Mike keep up the posting wit pictures it really does help us "challenged "ones. :thumbup:

The trans mount came with the auto...and I have another, so I'm guessing it has to be a 510 if I have a spare. The motor will be an L20 with the auto behind it....made possible by the parts you sent :) I think I might try to hit the shop for a few while the burgers are being made :)

I put in about another hour. I drilled the holes and bolted the pieces into place. I positioned the jack to let the pieces sit right where they should. In an effort to make some progress, I didn't notice just how tweaked the parts were until after they were tacked and out of the car. At that point, I decided, it may not be my best, but it won't be seen and it will hold. Sometimes, it's better to get things done than make them perfect. Charlie...I put more pics in PB for you :)

100_3175.jpg

100_3177.jpg

100_3178.jpg

100_3179.jpg

100_3180.jpg

100_3184.jpg

100_3186.jpg

100_3187.jpg

100_3188.jpg

100_3190.jpg

The bracket is shiny black now...rattle can. I mounted it up...went right in...plenty of clearance all around. The shifter is connected to the trans linkage, so that's the placement, I just can't seem to find Mend's tranny tunnel cover :(

100_3248.jpg

100_3251.jpg

100_3252.jpg

Dave C came over and found my trans tunnel cover for me...I can be so blind sometimes!!

We mocked up the position of the shifter...ought to work just fine!!

100_3253.jpg

100_3255.jpg

100_3257.jpg

Kaylee's first time in Mend :) She's expected on the 26th....I guess we'll see :)

Looks gret Grampa! :lol:

Man that looks like it was always in there great job Mike.

This has me worried on the placement of my shifter. What I am wondering is with the 5" difference in engine compartments (radiator suppot to firewall) will this push my shifter back 5 Inches from where yours sits?

Mend & Kaylee

Crap, I have a long trans in mine! So now am I talking 8" back from yours? :unsure:

Well I guess by the time I get this thing done I will have a book thicker than the Funk & Wagnall's Dictionary.

Funk & Wagnalls New Practical Standard Dictionary 1957 (My birth year)

FWDictionary19571.jpg

Funk & Wagnalls

New Practical Standard Dictionary of the English Language

Britannica World Language Edition

Volume One A-P

Funk & Wagnalls Co., 1957

1068 pgs.

I beleive that my build just might take 2 1,000 page volumes to document. Damn if only I had a video camera! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a Mend update, but this is info is more for those following Amanda and Mend, rather than all of Ratsun. :)

Kaylee Dawn Klotz, 5/27/10, 7 lbs 11 oz, Both are doing just fine and will home today. :)

Check out her hands!!! They're almost big enough to hold a sanding block right now!!! Datsun will be her second word.....right after Grandpa!! :) I don't need to wait for her to walk...she can crawl around the shop while she's picking up tools or sanding. ...hhmmm.....I wonder if she can reach the lathe controls from a booster seat? LOL!! I'm pretty sure Kaylee will make it to Canby....even though Mend won't.

100_3260.jpg

100_3263.jpg