mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work, Mike. We both remember painting that roof a few times. It always seemed to need it.

Thanks....hopefully, I'm only going to be repainting it ONCE!! :)

Excellent. You want to "F" some of my stuff up, too? ;)

LOL! ....so you want me to take 3 years to tear yours apart and grind it down so it can rust too?! :)

• 5 months later...

uuummmmm.......that I haven't touched it in 6 months and that I may not for another 6mos? lol Actually, I think the next project in the shop will be destine for Mend...or at least I can use that excuse :)

That's more activity than the Fairlane has gotten....or probably will get :(

I poked around some of your other brake/suspension threads but didn't see it in the background showing any progress so I thought I'd ask. Was hoping I just missed something. I'm certainly in no position to give you shit about too many projects or not enough progress on them. I get it...priorities.

Priorities......maybe......more like I agreed to do some Z'd control arms last year and it took me nearly 6 months to do them! :( Hopefully, this next project won't take so long.....I would really like to get something done on Mend this summer!

• 2 months later...

LOL!!! Yep....pretty sad!!! BUT............I have kinda sorta been working on it indirectly. I'm prototyping a new front suspension for it. I've pretty much proven it will work. I just need to finalize some details and then build the parts. I was kinda holding off on putting it on here.....one, because I've been lazy about posting it......and two, I was thinking about waiting until parts were actually going on Mend.

If you subscribe to my youtube channel.....you already know about it. :) I'm creating a ball joint mod for it that will use torsion bars and retain the stock track width. So far, it's looking pretty good. :) Enjoy......if you can stick through all the vids. :)

For those of you that can't watch the vids.....here's a few pics. If you follow any of the pics back to my photobucket account, you'll find about 350+ pics of what's been done so far.

Basically.....LCA from an '87 HB. UCA from an '84 720. The tie rod is from a HB I believe. I went with the press in ball joint arm because it allows a lot more room for the sway bar mount. I've got a bit more to get dialed in with it, but it's fairly close. Most of the details are in the vids so I'm not going to take a lot of time typing them out here. I'll try to do a page on my site when it's all dialed in.

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

This will better explain how the mount for the spindle was setup. It's holding the wheel mounting surface of the 720 hub at the exact same position as the stock drum setup. Ball joints with stock track width, sway bar, t/c rod and torsion bar suspension.

IMG_0684.jpg

i like this! lol

now if you werent too bothered by the added track width, how out of whack would it be with just putting a non-modified 720/HB LCA and the upper you have there without the spacer?

i was kinda curious if you ever tested that to see what kind of camber issues or whatever might be ran into..

you breaking ground with this, man! im diggin the R and D goin on video!

i like this! lol

now if you werent too bothered by the added track width, how out of whack would it be with just putting a non-modified 720/HB LCA and the upper you have there without the spacer?

i was kinda curious if you ever tested that to see what kind of camber issues or whatever might be ran into..

you breaking ground with this, man! im diggin the R and D goin on video!

Not breaking ground at all. I did this years ago on NWDE with Bre620.....that's what the white arms are for.....stock length 720 LCA's. The UCA's are way too short. We did this mod for Bre's 521 to run Z71 rims......then Beebani took the info and made custom upper arms......still does. If you don't shorten the LCA, it will push the track width out about 1.25" PER side. 2.5" total track width change.

2eDeYe' timestamp='1340916686' post='709898']

I too like this!

Do you happen to know if the control arms are the same lenth between the 521 and 620?

Yep....they're the same. This mod should work for the 620's, too. :)

I thought u weren't do this stuff any more.......nice work....though....

????......I think the only question was about whether I continued to make any more stuff for other people.......I've never questioned making stuff for myself. .....and thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally spent a bit of time on this again. Hopefully, more time today, as well. At some point, I'll probably need to mount this up on the truck to see just how much of a pain it's going to be to get the new upper arm in place. I'm sure that some inner fender clearancing will be required. These pics and vids are just basic setup stuff while prepping the parts to put on the frame jig. The column and linkage are both from a 521. I've already got several guys on me about building this setup, so I'm going to try to step up the activity level a bit. :)

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg