mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, amazing job on that truck! I didnt know you could make body stuff like that!

Thanks :) Just to be clear....all the pieces that are being welded in are simply what was cut out. The inside sheet metal is switch to opposite sides and turned top to bottom. The curve in it resembles a ski....it's not a single radius curve. If I turned it top to bottom and left it on the same side, the curve would be out of whack with the shape of the truck.

Nice to see your back on the Mend! :D

Yep...been a long time coming. I'll get back to the welding when I get some .023" tips for the welder. .030" is a bit too much of a battle on the really thin stuff......especially with the gaps.

Man, I wish my talents were in this area.. it makes me jealous to see people doing effective cut and patch jobs on body panels. Anyone can turn a wrench, but it takes some serious skill to pull off repairs of that magnitude. Good job Mike.

Glad to see the pictures. Canby or bust?

not quite ready to commit to that!!! Way too much work left!!

Major surgery...i love it !

Man, I wish my talents were in this area.. it makes me jealous to see people doing effective cut and patch jobs on body panels. Anyone can turn a wrench, but it takes some serious skill to pull off repairs of that magnitude. Good job Mike.

You might not call it talent if you saw it up close!! :( First time attempting something like this.....so more "beginner's luck" than "skill" :)

Years ago, I came out on the losing end of a big deal.....traded of a nice VW rabbit for the bodywork/paint on another car for the family.....the work was almost crap.....at that point, I figured I could "F" it up for free!!! :) I've always preferred to buy tools than to pay someone else............but I'm getting to the point where that's starting to change. ...ie, buying a new car so I don't have to do either!! LOL! :)

I hear ya on the not working on stuff and just buying what ya need. You'll always need to get the hands dirty though :)

All the structural work and no one will be the wiser. Makes me feel all tingly :D

2eDeYe' date='09 May 2011 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1304997857' post='473493']

I hear ya on the not working on stuff and just buying what ya need. You'll always need to get the hands dirty though :)

I think I'll start looking at it like it's therapy....I always feel better when I've accomplished something........as opposed to simply vegging in front of the TV

All the structural work and no one will be the wiser. Makes me feel all tingly :D

It's necessary. I feel the same way when I see a show car......thousands of dollars spent on making it go fast and it still has drum brakes!! :o WTF! If you don't have the reinforcement for the shoulder harness bolt, it will pull out in a wreck and become a projectile aiming for you head. I don't want that bolt to be the last thing going through my mind!! :)

The challenge is that I have a Miller Roughneck series gun that uses a 1/4 turn quiklock tip.....which no one stocks in .023". I've got plenty of wire/tips in .030, but the interior sheet metal I need to weld is only about 24ga.......I don't feel like chasing that many holes! :) The gun is great for welding heavy stuff in a production environment......which I don't do much of. I may consider getting a different guy.....probably should have thought of that a couple of years ago!! :)

Thanks....it's actually my daughter's :)

wagonjon.....you got me thinking about putting a smaller gun on my welder....the original one. I think I'm going to check on it a bit more, but I'll probably order one.....one advantage would be that I can get tips anywhere.....another advantage....the head is a good bit smaller so I can get into tighter places.....WIN/WIN! :) thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Geez....I actually have done some work on Mend in the last couple of months....not much, but I guess I never got the pics put up here. Sooo....here they are. Not much, but if I don't get them up here, they may get lost forever! :)

100_0935.jpg

100_0936.jpg

100_0937.jpg

100_0939.jpg

100_0940.jpg

100_0942.jpg

100_0944.jpg

100_0946.jpg

100_0949.jpg

100_0950.jpg