mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

Oh i know sometime i just stare and stuff for an hour. Especially when i get some of those WTF blueprints at work.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know what you mean, if someone gives me blueprints/detailed diagrams(really detailed) of what they want, I look at them with that, WTF is this look, and I ask them what they want, as this paperwork is getting in the way of me getting this done, to many details overwhelm me.

I have had plenty of scrapped ideas, but they usually get scrapped in my head before I actually try to make them, now I am not saying my stuff is pretty, but it is functional.

If you want pretty, functional, and consistency, Mike is the Man, it's a beautiful sight if you go to his shop and see ten sets of disc brake kits sitting there on the counter.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw up today's pics. the vids are loading....3 more that probably total more than an hour. I'm not sure if anyone has that kind of time to sit around and watch, but it's already loading. Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll start working with the full size tubing. I'm heading to bed, so I'll have to post the rest of the vid links in the morning.

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

Thanks Steve! If you watched all of that, you really need a life buddy!!! LOL!

No vids today.....I started on the CAD work this morning around 4am and I'm still at it........man, do I wish I had a clue what the heck I was doing.....it would save me a ton of time!!!

Maybe in a day or two, but certainly by the end of the week. I spent saturday working on the CAD work instead of being in the shop. I'll post a few jpgs of that when they're finished....or at least viewable :)

I will probably be putting in some extra time on these since I just received a downpayment on a set of lower and upper control arms. Any one else that wants me to build them some at the same time, pm me. :)

• Like 1

Doesn't look like I'm going to have a shop update today like I'd hoped, but I did just drop over $400 on 5 sets of lower control arms. One set is already sold and I'm building 2 sets for myself.....so, I think what I'm going to do is this...... for anyone..uumm....I mean the first 3 people.... that are serious enough to send a 50% down payment, they will get locked in at $500 for a set of modified lower control arms with a set of custom upper arms. The "catch" isn't so much that the price will double(might go up $50-100) on the production versions, it's that I may decide not to make any more....just like I did with the Z'd lower control arms. My buddy had expressed interest in producing them if I don't, but I'm not promising that will happen. The production versions(if they happen) may have a different style of upper control arm. I think these tube versions are going to be a lot of work, so I may change up the design. Plus, my buddy doesn't have a good way to notch the tubing. Or....I may decide it's just easier to go with what I've already figured out. We'll see.

I do have a bit of work to do in the shop right now....maybe I'll get a few minutes to work on this.

Okay.....I squeezed on a few min on the lathe. I mounted the milling attachment in place of the compound. It was done very quickly, but I think you'll get the idea of how I plan to use the lathe to notch the tubing. :)

The setup....

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

Here's some preliminary CAD work. Not sure it's quite final yet. I'm sure I'll have to adjust it as the work on the arms progress, but I thought I'd share what I've got. The rectangular tubing was a quick draw while sharing ideas with George on how to make the tension rod mount.

Ballmounttemplate.jpg

ctrlarmwithtabs4.jpg

ctrlarmwithtabs5.jpg

ctrlarmwithtabs6.jpg

ctrlarmwithtabs7.jpg

ctrlarmwithtabs8.jpg

ctrlarmwithtabs9.jpg

TCRodgus1.jpg

TCRodgus2.jpg

TCRodgus3.jpg

TCRodgus4.jpg

TCRodgus5.jpg

TCRodgus6.jpg

Not much of an update....spent almost the entire day working on the milling attachment for the lathe so that I can more easily handle the tubing. I'll probably put the vid of that in the machine work thread so the guys that know what they're doing can can chuckle watching amateur hour.

I just posted a third vid for the milling attachment....just click on the link above to go the the machine work thread.

I finally got the groove cut the way I want. As much as I want to get back to the arms, I may just make a new mounting base for the attachment so that I can more easily index the angle.....that would really make it a lot more easy to notch tubing. Heck.....I might pull the attachment out more and use it....this is the first I've used it in a couple of years.

Sorry for the lack of updates....haven't been in the shop. The roofers showed up monday for a 2 day job.....they'll be here a 4th day tomorrow....hopefully, the last. Not their fault....supply issues and timing. Plus.....they're having to replace a ton more wood than they had expected. The bid was for 2 sheet, they've already used 9 and expect to put another 9 or 10 on the second floor. They're plugged into my shop outlets.....I don't have enough juice, so I haven't been able to do anything out there. Anyway.....

Parts are still showing up. The upper ball joints came in yesterday. Friday, the remaining lower control arms should be here. I've got a week off coming up....I'm really hoping to put some serious time in on this project. But....all that new wood is going to have to get painted at some point.....preferably before it starts raining again.