mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

I would think it would be 5" total material width, so if your legs are 2 inches wide at the bend y bending 4" of material.

Not sure how wide their V is on the big one, but when I get the other one delivered I will post up. :)

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

I sleep more than you'd think. But, on slow nights at work, I can get a couple of hours in on the CAD. Most guys take a few pics and do a ton of work......I take a ton of pics and little work.....but the amount of pics makes it look like I'm working!! LOL :)

• Like 2

I got the gussets made and bent today! Yea!! :) The shots of the ruler against the side of the plate is to show how straight the cut with the 7" cutoff wheel came out. There's a lit wow at each end, but the middle 5" is pretty much dead on. Better to be lucky than good!!

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

Thanks guys :)

Yep...20 ton. If you like that vid, you'll probably enjoy the next one at least as much. I have to hit the sack now, but the vid editor is churning away on it. I'll upload it tonight when I get up......about 6 hours from now :(

Here's some pics in the meanwhile. :)

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2591-1.jpg

IMG_2592-1.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

Hi Mike

Fantastic work..looks like things are comming along quite smoothly. Yiep, im with you Rat-tastic, im so glad I put my order in for one of these as well. Cant wait to put this balljoint mod and Mikes Brake conversion kit on my 320. Hey Mike, instead of freighting my kits to Australia why dont you deliver them personally....that way you can install them while your here lol. Hope all is well buddy and keep up the good work.

Sorry, but this is just plain friggin' cool!!!! I'm not positive I can get the vid uploaded before I can get home, but here's a couple of pics of the stress analysis. I put 1000lbs going up against the ball joint mount and had the bushing tubes fixed. They would never stop moving, but I wanted to force against something. The next pic is 1000lbs going down on the same plate, but this time I fixed the surface where the bumpstops will hit. The animations is the vids are even cooler!!!

ArmStress1.jpg

ArmStress2.jpg

• Like 2

Still got a bit of time to upload, but here's the link.

For those that don't go to youtube to watch it, here's what I put in the description:

I figured out how to do a couple more things in CAD which then allowed me to figure out how to do the stress analysis. I'm not sure I'm even doing it right, but it sure looks cool!!

I cycled each animation 3x's in the vid. The first two are 1000 pounds up on the ball joint plate and the bushing tubes are fixed. It would never see that much load going up and the bushing tubes would never lock up like that, but I wanted it to force against something. In the next two I put the 1000 pounds going down on the ball joints and I fixed the surface that would hit the bump stops. Again, I don't think it would ever see that kind of load. Either way, I'm pretty tickled with just being able to do it even if I didn't quite do it right. :)

You constrained it correctly to see where it would yield. What measurement and scale are the numbers at? PSI in Hundreds of pounds?

It's funny, I am just getting into stress analysis stuff at work while your getting into it at home :lol:

If I'm reading it right, when it gets to light blue, it's got 7 tons of force on it. That's just one arm. Granted it's not the only direction seeing force, but it's also not accounting for the reinforcement provides by the bushings and cross shaft. Unless I'm not reading it right, I'm thinking it's plenty strong :)

• 3 months later...

hmm...apparently, I forgot to get the weight :(

Did this up on the flat UCA for the ball joint mod.  I didn't realize I could choose "actual" as an option on the other test, so it shows tons of movement in the metal.  This one shows how much it will actually flex IF, the bushing mounts are locked......which they never will be. 

...oh.....and 5 sets of the UCAs are being cut at the laser cutter this week.