Engine block colour opinions please

JK510

I'm not quite ready to do it yet, but when the times comes I want to paint my engine block.

It's currently blue (urggh) and my favorite plan at the moment is to go body coloured - the car will be 920 Safari Gold.

So, my question is, has anyone else painted their block body colour?

The rocker cover is polished, as are the carbs and the manifold and a few other bits and pieces, the head will be vapour blasted, sump probably black (opinions welcome here too) and the wiring is all going to be hidden away as much as possible, battery is being moved to the boot (trunk 😁) so I'm hoping that the engine will be quite visible on the whole.

So if anyone has a better idea or some images of what can be done I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

JK

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Call me what you will, but I like two colors for an engine block. Stock color or black.

If you ask Ray (@mrbigtanker) everything should be red.

The stock color for an L motor is a nice pastel sort of blue. I believe some guys here have used Pontiac blue, but I've had good luck with Chrysler light blue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Call me what you will, but I like two colors for an engine block. Stock color or black.

If you ask Ray (@mrbigtanker) everything should be red.

The stock color for an L motor is a nice pastel sort of blue. I believe some guys here have used Pontiac blue, but I've had good luck with Chrysler light blue.

Thanks for that, I'm not keen on the blue which it currently is as it matches nothing else and the car will not be stock so I don't need authenticity. Black just doesn't do it for me....

JK

1 hour ago, JK510 said:

I'm not quite ready to do it yet, but when the times comes I want to paint my engine block.

It's currently blue (urggh) and my favorite plan at the moment is to go body coloured - the car will be 920 Safari Gold.

So, my question is, has anyone else painted their block body colour?

The rocker cover is polished, as are the carbs and the manifold and a few other bits and pieces, the head will be vapour blasted, sump probably black (opinions welcome here too) and the wiring is all going to be hidden away as much as possible, battery is being moved to the boot (trunk 😁) so I'm hoping that the engine will be quite visible on the whole.

So if anyone has a better idea or some images of what can be done I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

JK

I think the other thing you should think about Is the color of the engine bay.... 

Sounds like the car is about to be painted....

If the car , engine bay and engine are all gold that going to be alot...

I'd match either the engine bay or the engine to something like the interior or your wheels if the have a color on them.... 

• Like 3

Normally all my engines are stock-ish blue.

My current car Im prob going to paint it to match the wheels/accent color (bronze-ish) when I pull it to paint the engine bay (OD green).

The problem with body color is it now just blends in with the bay. you want the engine to pop.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I think the other thing you should think about Is the color of the engine bay.... 

Sounds like the car is about to be painted....

If the car , engine bay and engine are all gold that going to be alot...

I'd match either the engine bay or the engine to something like the interior or your wheels if the have a color on them.... 

Yeah that was my other concern, too much of the same colour....hmmm, more thinking needed....

JK

• Like 2
On 9/22/2022 at 12:15 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I guess I don't feel that an engine should match anything.

EDIT - I don't feel that an engine has to match anything. It could, but it's an engine.

The first Civic Si I built back in the late 1990's was white.  I powdercoated all of the suspension red, painted the SOHC vtec block red, subtle red throughout the interior (mostly black) &  red checkered flag "waving" graphics across hood, down left side & up right side.  Was one of the first fully "built" Civics in SW MI at the time, got LOTS of attention!  Man, that was a great car! 😎

• Like 1
19 hours ago, yenpit said:

The first Civic Si I built back in the late 1990's was white.  I powdercoated all of the suspension red, painted the SOHC vtec block red, subtle red throughout the interior (mostly black) &  red checkered flag "waving" graphics across hood, down left side & up right side.  Was one of the first fully "built" Civics in SW MI at the time, got LOTS of attention!  Man, that was a great car! 😎

That was the 90s. Everything back then was LOUD!

• Like 1

A friend and I did a Mini block that same green (stock BMC color as you mentioned) many years ago.

I have used Ford blue (maybe "Old" Ford blue, not sure) for Datsuns and have done one 510 block red. 

I always did my Mitsubishi 4G63 blocks black as that was their typical stock color.

• Like 1