NM 521

Oilspot

I generally get home with maybe 10 min of daylight to work this time of year. So I figure Ill quick swap out the voltage regulator. 

Start backing out the mounting screws and both of them lock up like they're mushroomed on the other end and not meant to come out. Hit em with some pblaster and it's dark. Am i missing something here? I figured maybe the was a nut on the back side but there isn't. 

Hoping with some soaking that they'll free up.

Really not wanting to strip out the Phillips heads screw and making this into a royal pain in the ass. 

Edited by Oilspot
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got the voltage regulator sorted out last weekend, and spent a little time this morning working on taillights. I looked for tail light lens cover gaskets/ rubbers and didn't come up with anything. Are they still being made? if not what's a good substitute? 

On 12/24/2021 at 1:35 PM, Oilspot said:

I got the voltage regulator sorted out last weekend, and spent a little time this morning working on taillights. I looked for tail light lens cover gaskets/ rubbers and didn't come up with anything. Are they still being made? if not what's a good substitute? 

...so what was the fix for the regulator issue?

18 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

...so what was the fix for the regulator issue?

Well.... Replacing the regulator turned out to be a pain in the ass. Both screws backed out about a half turn and froze solid. Ended up having to drill out the screws which, for some damn reason took forever. Once I got that done I the damn light still comes on. 

At that point I decided to leave the truck in my shop redo the tail lights, get some work done on the bumper, and go through the alt wiring, pull and test the alternator (it needs to come out for a cleaning anyhow, it's a dirty damn mess). 

I drove the truck for a week with the light going on and off with no rhyme or reason and the battery stayed fully charged the whole time. I figure it's probably something in the 50 yr old wiring. Will probably do the brushes while I'm in there if the unit checks out. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Oilspot said:

Well.... Replacing the regulator turned out to be a pain in the ass. Both screws backed out about a half turn and froze solid. Ended up having to drill out the screws which, for some damn reason took forever.

Is it like most, where the screws go through the inner fender and poke out just enough to get rusty?  😁

Hindsight won't help you on this one, but I learned that it's better to tighten them until they break off, or cut off the heads, and then use vise grips to pull them out from the other side. Same with fender bolts. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty happy with how these cleaned up. I redid the frames last weekend, polished the lens' this morning and made the yoga mat seals. 

I'm thinking of hitting the back of the housings with a clear paint to try to help preserve the 50yr old plastic. I'd like to find something to keep these lens' from drying out and going to shit over time also!!!! 

HL5MIor.jpg

hGnJX3L.jpg

Ive gotta thank MBT again for getting me setup with these units! 

I look forward to getting them on the truck this weekend. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Oilspot said:

I'm thinking of hitting the back of the housings with a clear paint to try to help preserve the 50yr old plastic. I'd like to find something to keep these lens' from drying out and going to shit over time also!!!! 

A good two-part epoxy like this. This will seal them and cut down UV damage over time. Just paint it on and let it cure overnight. 👍

This is what I did to mine and it worked well. My lenses had loads of spider cracks in the plastic. Epoxied the inside, then buffed the outside, and they look good as new.

large.20200430_200625.jpg.300974a0f37f13

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Oilspot said:

I'm pretty happy with how these cleaned up. I redid the frames last weekend, polished the lens' this morning and made the yoga mat seals. 

HL5MIor.jpg

hGnJX3L.jpg

Ive gotta thank MBT again for getting me setup with these units! 

I look forward to getting them on the truck this weekend. 

Hey you got them looking real good. I’m glad you like them. Now let’s see them installed. 

21 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

A good two-part epoxy like this. This will seal them and cut down UV damage over time. Just paint it on and let it cure overnight. 👍

This is what I did to mine and it worked well. My lenses had loads of spider cracks in the plastic. Epoxied the inside, then buffed the outside, and they look good as new.

large.20200430_200625.jpg.300974a0f37f13

You epoxied the inside? Not the outside too? How does just doing the inside help with the cracks on the outside? That looks pretty freakin good. I may have to try it.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Hey you got them looking real good. I’m glad you like them. Now let’s see them installed. 

It was shitty cold n' rainy today, which equals a wet floor in my shop. Tomorrow's shitty cold, windy, and still damp/ wet in the shop. I'm thinking I'll prob get them put in Sunday. 

• Like 1
On 12/31/2021 at 11:55 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You epoxied the inside? How does just doing the inside help with the cracks on the outside? 

The epoxy is just thin enough that it will fill in the cracks from the back side. And also, complete coverage of the inside ensures it becomes/stays "one piece" going forward. 

You can do it on the outside, I just didn't. I just wanted it to seal, not look "perfect". 

If you do the outside, be 100% sure the epoxy you use is UV resistant or it will turn amber over time. 

• Like 3

I got the tailights put in over the weekend. I'm happy with em! 

Was doing a long reverse leaving work the other day and it sounded like the u joints need replacing. Then on the drive home there was a very strange odor, kinda like something getting hot, but like nothing I've ever smelt. Seemed like it was coming through the lack, for the most part, of a shift boot. Decided to park the truck till I can get it up on jack stands this weekend.  

uDYHaUK.jpg

• Like 5
58 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

ck the oil in the trans I ran mine out once and was too late.

cant really think of anything else it could be

but trans oil has a smell to it

I know it's not trans fluid. I know and hate that smell after having to live/ sleep covered in that shit for a couple of days when I was in my early 20's. 

Good times

well a large chunk of masonite (not 100% that's the material) roughly8x18" had slipped down between the bed and cab. It had wiggled over and was resting on the small portion of the driveshaft. Friction + masonite = a new wtf catalog entry of unpleasant/ concerning smells coming from yet another old dusty vehicle I choose to pilot around town. 

two front u joints look good, rear u joint needs replacing soon but should be fine for a week or two unless I start dumping the clutch trying to do burnout/ drift maneuvers. 

the drive shaft carrier bushing/ bearing unit doesn't exactly hold the drive shaft super snugly. I've dealt with these before but I'll be honest.... I'm can't remember how tight they should hold the center section of the driveshaft in place.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

There are shops who make heavy duty support bearings for motorsports. Jesse at High Angle Driveline sells them, but they usually need to be machined to fit.

No more slop.

An option!!! But it sounds like a few weeks turnaround time and prob a good chunk of change!!!!!