NM 521

Oilspot

So here in the next few hours I should be in possession of a 71' 521. Buying it sight unseen off recommendation of a friend that doesn't fully understand my love of what he probably considers old bullshit. He sent three pics and said it's super straight, runs, but the brakes don't work. 

So, to post pics. I guess Photobucket isn't an option any longer. So..... How do I post pics?

• Like 2
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, NC85ST said:

Looks like a great starting point.

Polish the existing paint. Try to find some OE wheels & caps. Fix any drivability issues. Lower it, and enjoy is the plan!   Oh yeah and get that toolbox outta the bed a.s.a.p!!!! 

• Like 2

Hey look, another NM member.

Welcome to the circus.

The one thing to know around here is that this is really a forum for assholes, we just all happen to own Datsuns.

Can't remember who said that first but it is  mostly true.

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I have a set of stock steelies and hubcaps if you can’t find anything out that way. Would love to just get them out of my garage, but shipping might be expensive. 

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to wait a few weeks, lol. Buying this was not well timed financially🤣. I just couldn't pass it up.   

Let me know what you want for them shipped to 88007 and I should be able to get you within a few weeks.  Untill them I'm livin' the ramen life!!!

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Get used to the ramen life until you get this truck safe to drive.  If it does run and drive my suggestion to you is to upgrade to front disc brakes with a Mike Klotz brake kit.

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/320520521620-disc-brake-kit.html

s579626855582026291-p13-i5-w640.jpg

You're one step ahead of me! Motor runs,brakes aren't working, and My fiance has already tried claiming the truck as hers🥺🤣. Was thinking this morning on my way to work that I should just do the conversion right off the bat!!!

So... That website has a lot of info, but no price. Do you know what his kits are going for?

And, while I'm at it I'll put the feelers out for the spindles I'll be needing! 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Oilspot said:

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to wait a few weeks, lol. Buying this was not well timed financially🤣. I just couldn't pass it up.   

Let me know what you want for them shipped to 88007 and I should be able to get you within a few weeks.  Untill them I'm livin' the ramen life!!!

There's no rush. They ain't going anywhere. I'll get them over to the tire shop and have the old janky tires taken off as a first step. I'll hold them for you until you're good and ready. I have some wheel boxes already, so shouldn't be too bad to ship them. 

Here's a pic of them. They're currently painted a creamy color.

xexKX2x.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 4
16 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

There's no rush. They ain't going anywhere. I'll get them over to the tire shop and have the old janky tires taken off as a first step. I'll hold them for you until you're good and ready. I have some wheel boxes already, so shouldn't be too bad to ship them. 

Here's a pic of them. They're currently painted a creamy color.

xexKX2x.jpg

You have no idea how much I appreciate it. The modulars that are on the truck right now take so much away from it! When sizing up the truck to buy, I thought it may take a long time to find some OE wheels and caps! 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, gene knight said:

Oilspot: if you can get with kelmo on here and maybe come to the route66 event in williams, az on Oct.1st and 2nd

What Gene said.

Usually there are a few of us on I-40 throughout the day. We used to caravan but after a couple years it got to be like herding cats. That Friday (the first) I wont' be leaving ABQ until about 10 or 11 AM because I have reports that have to be turned in for end of month reporting.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, KELMO said:

What Gene said.

Usually there are a few of us on I-40 throughout the day. We used to caravan but after a couple years it got to be like herding cats. That Friday (the first) I wont' be leaving ABQ until about 10 or 11 AM because I have reports that have to be turned in for end of month reporting.

I gotta get this thing running first🤣. Make sure she isn't gonna burst into flames etc. Thinking about driving it several hundred miles may take a little time!!!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Oilspot said:

I gotta get this thing running first🤣. Make sure she isn't gonna burst into flames etc. Thinking about driving it several hundred miles may take a little time!!!

Smart move as this sat for a while the seals might be ready to bust. if if good for a few weeks of daily driving then your most likely ok.  as tthe stock Japan made stuff was good   Usally check for brake and clutch leaks   grease kingpins.  see how the temp runs on a hot day/cold day  oil comsumption

• Like 2