My 1971 521

d.p

41 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The heater when turned to cold or off blocks coolant flow. If it didn't the core would heat the cab by convection in the summer even if the fan is off. Just stuff a plug of dowel in the hose to block flow. Won't matter so much in winter but when it's 90 out that uncooled water goes right back into the water pump an by passes the radiator. That puts a strain on the cooling system.

And what kind of strain? I mean if its just an inconvenience then I can just leave it.  And like I said if the valve is closed where is that coolant going?  Back into the block right? So what really is the difference?  

@banzai510(hainz) I have a KOYO radiator in there now.  

Edited by d.p
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, d.p said:

And what kind of strain? I mean if its just an inconvenience then I can just leave it.  And like I said if the valve is closed where is that coolant going?  Back into the block right? So what really is the difference?  

@banzai510(hainz) I have a KOYO radiator in there now.  

OK.... if it's hot out (90+ idling in stop and go traffic) the cooling system doesn't need to work even harder. Going by hose size the heater flow looks like 1/3 of what goes through the radiator hose. That's a lot of hot water not being cooled and stuffed back into an over heated engine.

15 hours ago, d.p said:

The core is done as well as the fan so I’ll just paint the box and and throw it back on and leave it bypassed until I sell it or find another core and fan. 

I may possibly have a heater core for you... I have 2 that are of unknown condition... I'll let one go if they both dont leak... I'd like one on hand just incase myself.... 

I think I did the same thing to my fan as well.... I have 1 fan which I'm hoping to keep but I think i have some parts that might help fix your fan, I'll have to dig around for that...

I'm willing to trade for that rear 4.37 gear set you have laying around..  

Let me know and ill check things out on my end....

And I’m going to take my core to the place that fixed my radiator and see what they can do.   I imagine if it can be fixed they can do it. 

I would still need a fan and the rear end is yours regardless @Crashtd420    Text me your address and I’ll get it on the way. 

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

OK.... if it's hot out (90+ idling in stop and go traffic) the cooling system doesn't need to work even harder. Going by hose size the heater flow looks like 1/3 of what goes through the radiator hose. That's a lot of hot water not being cooled and stuffed back into an over heated engine.

idk know man.  Lots of heater delete kits and a tertiary google search doesn’t show any negative results but what do I know. 

That's because most of the time there is no problem.... till that one time and you over heat. How hard is it to just plug the hose and not have something go wrong?

No matter where you live and even if you only drive in the summer, it's always good to have defrost/defog capability.

4 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

That's because most of the time there is no problem.... till that one time and you over heat. How hard is it to just plug the hose and not have something go wrong?

No matter where you live and even if you only drive in the summer, it's always good to have defrost/defog capability.

Plug which one? The one off the inlet or the block?

I want to say on my block when I got it the water outlet for the heater, on the passenger side of the block, just had a short length of hose that had a bolt stuffed in it and some clamps. The outlet at the back of the head was rerouted to the T/stat housing.

This is how I recall it, I could be wrong and DM will stop by and prove how ignorant I can be.

Not sure I have pics of it before I took it apart.

26 minutes ago, d.p said:

And I’m going to take my core to the place that fixed my radiator and see what they can do.   I imagine if it can be fixed they can do it. 

I would still need a fan and the rear end is yours regardless @Crashtd420    Text me your address and I’ll get it on the way. 

I'll text you later, I need to make sure those parts are any good....

Let me know if they think they can fix it.... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KELMO said:

Here's one. It kinda sucks but you get the point.

5E3Gt6Y.jpg

Seems I did not take a pic of the other side.

Solid...I don't have another nipple on my t-stat I don't think but that is an option.  I don't drive the truck much at all so not too worried about it for now and eventually I will replace the heater core and fan once I get mine fixed or come up on them.  I asked @tdaaj if he had anything laying around if the radiator shop and @Crashtd420 don't work out.    

6 hours ago, pidge said:

Looks fresh. Gotta do the same What are you using for the selector knob?

Are you in need of a knob or just wondering...

Jakemakes on here is reproducing them and selling them on ebay but I dont see them at the moment.. you could message him I'm sure they are easy enough to make some more...

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

Are you in need of a knob or just wondering...

Jakemakes on here is reproducing them and selling them on ebay but I dont see them at the moment.. you could message him I'm sure they are easy enough to make some more...

Yes an no. I got one from eBay. Possibly “Jakemakes” I can’t remember. Pretty sure I’ve gotta drill out the hole in the back to attach?? I’m not sure, what others are replacing the dial with. 

8 minutes ago, pidge said:

Yes an no. I got one from eBay. Possibly “Jakemakes” I can’t remember. Pretty sure I’ve gotta drill out the hole in the back to attach?? I’m not sure, what others are replacing the dial with. 

I have a guitar knob on mine... 

Needed minor modifications to make work....

Someone took half of a nutcracker handle and drilled and tapped it on mine. Was like that when I bought it. Actually works really well. I actually like the extra cooling it provides in the summer, so I just leave it open and roll the windows down. 

Edited by mainer311
38 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Someone took half of a nutcracker handle and drilled and tapped it on mine. Was like that when I bought it. Actually works really well. I actually like the extra cooling it provides in the summer, so I just leave it open and roll the windows down. 

How does it blow cool ? I always assumed when it was open the what from the endings bay was allowed in.  And I’m pretty sure mine has been stuck closed since I got the truck so I may be wrong about where the heat comes from when I open the bottom vent. 

Just now, d.p said:

How does it blow cool ? I always assumed when it was open the what from the endings bay was allowed in.  And I’m pretty sure mine has been stuck closed since I got the truck so I may be wrong about where the heat comes from when I open the bottom vent. 

I think he means it cools the engine not him....

• Like 1