My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, extra block cooling. Not me. I’m probably sweating my ass off.

The back of L series blocks are relatively stagnant in terms of flow, so by leaving the heater core open, it allows the water to flow out the back, get cooled from ambient air in the cab, and then return to the pump.

So in the summer when the heater blocks flow this is a problem for the block???? What about L series engines in tropics that don't even have a heater option? There is circulation provided by the two coolant flow through the intake runners? You're over thinking something so simple. Drive it this summer but in the heat keep an eye on your heat gauge. When it over heats or runs too hot fold the hose into a kink and tie with a zap strap to get home.

34 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

So in the summer when the heater blocks flow this is a problem for the block???? What about L series engines in tropics that don't even have a heater option? There is circulation provided by the two coolant flow through the intake runners?

There's a stagnant area on the left rear portion of the block when the heater outlet is blocked off. Even without CFD, it's easy to see. Not to mention, he's running Mikunis with no water outlets in the manifold. If I were him, I wouldn't block off that area. With the heater core there and functioning, there's an inrush of coolant, improving flow there. And the heater is acting as a second radiator for the rear of the block. 

With his heater core removed and/or blocked off, the only outlet he currently has is the t-stat.

Edited by mainer311

Lots of good information.  

I dropped the core off at the radiator shop and they said they can fix it no problem.   Should have it back in a couple days. Now I need a fan to make me whole again.  

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, d.p said:

Lots of good information.  

I dropped the core off at the radiator shop and they said they can fix it no problem.   Should have it back in a couple days. Now I need a fan to make me whole again.  

I should just send you the fan I have.... truth is I usually just open the air vent to get heat, i never really use the fan in my truck....

I text you about it.... 

3 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

YOu having the spout put back on and core redone or just the spout. Cause mine braoke exactly the same. I have not thrown it away  But Im sure the one in the truck now will be fine HOPEFULLY for a while

Having them fix thet spout, remove the valve and replace the o-ring if they can.  Also fix the base of the spout with the valve at the end because when I was trying to break the valve loose it separated at the base where it meets the core.   In the end just a huge cluster fuck.  

It’s same shop that fixed my OEM radiator so hoping they can set me straight.  It’s pretty much the only old school radiator shop anywhere close to me.  

On 4/5/2023 at 9:52 PM, d.p said:

Got it all put back together, installed and working but I lost one of the nuts that bolts the box to the firewall. Does anyone know the thread and pitch of those mfers? 

52797061563_c40512dbfe_b.jpg

Did you figure it out yet?

Its a fine pitch 1/4 thread so I believe it would be 1/4-28 .. im trying to find a tap match the pitch to be 100% sure