My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diff studs are 5/16-18 x 5/18-24 (exposed side). Ace hardware sells them for 2.59 a piece.    I re thread the original stud but figure might as well get new ones.  

re threaded vs new:

53075357706_4c4749103f_b.jpg

53074782352_bc3890a902_b.jpg

53075771370_3b20a56a46_b.jpg

• Like 1

So that was easy enough to get done.  New gasket wont be here until tomorrow so I should have it all back together then.  Disc brakes make taking the axels out super fucking easy, just unbolt the caliper (2 bolts), let it hang and then the 4 bolts holding the backing plate and they slide right out.  

53075601424_212c85c2b4_b.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I used red LOCTITE.  had another stud come loose once I put it all back together.  Luckily for me it was at the top and I was able to swap it out (double nut) without having to take it all apart again.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Good. When Ihave differentials out, I remove all the studs and loctite them all in, but too late for that now.

If it leaks again I will replace and loctite all of them. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Diff seems to be all sealed up with no leaks.   Haven’t been doing much other than driving around in it with my kid and dog.  I did have it detailed today as the paint was just looking dull as of late so had it polished and it cleaned up real nice.  

Still considering selling it but haven’t done much other than detail it to get any closer to doing that. 

53133461483_797f751653_b.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Did you pay to have Bat take the pics? They look great.

Nah, I took them all with my iphone 12 pro max.   I paid BAT to take them last time and they use snappr and I felt like I got ripped off for what I paid ($350 vs $99 this time).  

• Like 1