d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Still got it and my buddy still wants it so I figure I might as well try and finish some things I still want to do.  I really want the back end lower so I am going to finish tackling the 720 rear leaf project.   Paint and fix my heater core and possibly get my dash redone.  I don't want a metal one but would prefer not to have a piece of carpet on it either.  Talking to @uberkevin about maybe buying his or having him redo mine. 

But my biggest pet peave right now is the amount of reverse rake my truck has and I would really like it level with the back end down further.  

52777558590_8975a98fcb_b.jpg

• Like 2

Alright well fuck me then.

On to my stupid heater core.  I got it out but not without issue.

Is this fucker supposed to come out?  Because it would not come off the rubber hose in the engine bay and eventually came out the back of the core.

52776807097_bc2a99ef40_b.jpg

And second, this stupid tab broke off on the back of the fan but I guess my fan never worked anyway because the switch was frozen so I never even used it.

52777588439_bf9351c81c_b.jpg

And finally how do I get the core out?  It just seems to be stuck, can I gently hammer on the pipe on the back side?  

52777348236_9d77381b37_b.jpg

2 hours ago, d.p said:

fix my heater core

was it leaking?

Mine was leaky  and I did the same thing the inside came out like what you have in the picture  PIPE BROKE. It was leaky and then got real bad then I said Ill pull it out but the hose was on there forever and I pulled that fucker out and said fuck.  Luck I had 2 core from Ted and he said you better check those. So I pured hot water in there with both ends up and let sit. I leaked bad the other didnt not leak but the valve was stuck open . I said that is fine I just used the flap to prevent hot air cming in the summer.  When I took the fan case apart there was tons of pine needles and reinstalled it works GREAT actually have good heat

maybe soemone can make a new one or braze that pipe back on I dont know. Or they can Chines clone one with or w.o the hut off swtich

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

ANY straight section of hose will kink with that amount of bend.

Gates has an online PDF called the molded hose guide. Google that and you can search by size, length and even shape (they show drawings).

https://assets.gates.com/content/dam/gates/home/knowledge-center/resource-library/catalogs/gates-molded-coolant-hose-id-guide_web.pdf

the 521 look like a stock hose what he has Thay have a Sharp S shape.

you have to man handle them a little to get them out and they get that Kinked look

somebody posted a long time ago of using this hose and cut it where you just have the S shape. I havent done this but going by the photo its a longer S  that the stock 521 S shaped hose but they said it worked. Maybe a slight kink but I dont know

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/gates/belts---hoses/hoses/heater---bypass-hoses/heater-hose/edb127035e4f/gates-heater-hose/gat0/18457

finding another 521 heater core is going to be the main proplem

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

Wasn’t leaking but knob was frozen and I wanted to paint it.  That hose is the OEM one which I believe that is bigger on the block side.   It’s off now and I just bypassed the entire heater with a 1/2” x 1/2” barb fitting and connected the two coolant hoses together.  

The core is done as well as the fan so I’ll just paint the box and and throw it back on and leave it bypassed until I sell it or find another core and fan. 

4 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Don't bypass, block off. Unless you want uncooled coolant circulating back to the block.

how is it any different than going through the heater core that’s as t doing shit in the first place? 

And what am I blocking off? There is the line that comes of the water inlet and the line that comes off the back of the block.  Both of which went to the heater core.  

Are you saying block them both off? 

How though?  I mean if it’s off what is there to radiate heat?  fuck if I know.

I can block off the outlet on the head as that is just a screw but how to block off the water inlet nipple?  Short hose with a screw in it the end?  

image.jpg

Edited by d.p
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

the 521 look like a stock hose what he has Thay have a Sharp S shape.

you have to man handle them a little to get them out and they get that Kinked look

somebody posted a long time ago of using this hose and cut it where you just have the S shape. I havent done this but going by the photo its a longer S  that the stock 521 S shaped hose but they said it worked. Maybe a slight kink but I dont know

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/gates/belts---hoses/hoses/heater---bypass-hoses/heater-hose/edb127035e4f/gates-heater-hose/gat0/18457

finding another 521 heater core is going to be the main proplem

image.jpg

51 minutes ago, d.p said:

how is it any different than going through the heater core that’s as t doing shit in the first place? 

The heater when turned to cold or off blocks coolant flow. If it didn't the core would heat the cab by convection in the summer even if the fan is off. Just stuff a plug of dowel in the hose to block flow. Won't matter so much in winter but when it's 90 out that uncooled water goes right back into the water pump an by passes the radiator. That puts a strain on the cooling system.

44 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Yes, I'm surprised Mike hasn't chimed in yet. Normally the heater would be radiating heat while flowing.

I just picked up 3 interior wood doors from a demolished building to replace 3 that barely survived 3 teenagers. Naturally the bathroom door is narrower so trying to cut one down to size... but I'm never far away.