barNLove!

HOGIE

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to replace or service the clutch slave cylinder. More likely replace. I'm assuming they are te same but are the Jseries clutch slave cylinders the same as Eseries?

Nah, they're not.  The E1 slave has different bolt spacing, and isn't commonly available.  I think I've seen E1 style slaves on ebay occasionally.  You might be able to fab up some kind of adapter for a Jseries slave, or just rebuild you own somehow.  

• Like 2

Thanks KFunk

Well shit. I guess I'll be trying to rebuild this somehow. I was under the truck pulling the slave rubber line and realized the slave was in bad shape.

I've got it soaking in PBlaster.

• Like 1

OK, I believe the 320 has a 2 3/8ths bolt pattern, it is wider than the late 520/521/620/720 slave which is 2 inches, now if one was to cut the 521 slave holes and make them slotted, you could center the slave, tighten it down and I suspect it would work fine, that is what I would do till I could find a 320 slave.

Here is a link to the first auction I found on ebay for a 320 slave.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-320-pickup-early-520-pickup-Patrol-clutch-slave-cylinder-/322254706534?hash=item4b07e09766:g:L3oAAOSwn9lXLRRY&vxp=mtr

• Like 3

Well shit. 

I said the same thing, except I was underneath the truck trying to thread bolts in at the time, hah.  I might've considered the slotting thing briefly, but then I realized there was no sign of leakage at all from the original slave and just put it back.  I also wasn't sure if it'd slide in the slots at all depending on how much force goes through it.  Probably not really an issue, but I'm paranoid sometimes.  I should grab one of those rebuild kits though to keep on the shelf for when I'm bored.

My leak ended up being the clutch master cylinder, which is commonly available for later trucks and easy to swap.  You have to use your original push rod that goes from the pedal to the master, though.  

• Like 2

I also wasn't sure if it'd slide in the slots at all depending on how much force goes through it.  Probably not really an issue, but I'm paranoid sometimes.  

The forces from the slave are mostly linear, putting the bolts in shear. There is a bit of tension load due to the arc of the throw-out lever arm, but even that would be in the axis perpendicular to the slots. As long as the slave is centered and the bolts are tight the slave cylinder will never move. 

• Like 2

If you can salvage that slave housing, here's everything that you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170927629020?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I wish I would've waited and found that one. It's more complete.

Last night I ordered this one. Same bore and dust cover just without spring and clip

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-SPL311-SRL311-410-411-75-quot-Clutch-Slave-Kit-with-Piston-ref-30620-08025-/371791862285?txnId=922887367024#vi__app-cvip-panel

• Like 1

Mine was so rusted, I think there wasn't a chance of saving it...

Purchased a slave for a 520. Wouldn't fit correctly, as stated above the bolt holes are somewhere around 2 3/8"

So, I modified mine to fit.

Ugly? Definitely. 

Does it work? Absolutely. 

lw4uBrY.jpg?1

H4tP1yi.jpg

YZhayWH.jpg

• Like 4

If you have hard enough washers and strong enough bolts (and good threads), you probably don't even need the added welded pieces.

I'd actually be leery of welding on a hydraulic cylinder as it may distort the bore.

I had worried about welding it .... after i welded it. Meh, its ok, though. My 320 is a sunday driver (at best). 

• Like 2

Just FYI I have a NOS NABCO 3/4" slave cylinder for a 520/521 with the 2" spaced bolt holes.  

I popped the dust cover off to see if I could scavenge its internals to rebuild my stock 320 slave cylinder.  The 520 cylinder must have an updated design, though, because there's no spring in there.  Just the piston.  Hogie:  this probably explains why your rebuild kit omitted the spring and clip--it was probably for a later truck.  

• Like 2

Yup, the Jseries slave cylinders had an external return spring. The one I bought was listed as SPL311, roadster, and has the 3/4 bore. I planned on reusing the return spring.

Going to take the slave cylinder to work tomorrow and drop it in the hot tank. Hopefully the caustic and heat will break it loose. If not I'll have to buy a new one. Ouch

• Like 1

I usually spray whatever I have around into the bore of the slave I am trying to save, I will even remove the hose and spray in the other end also, I let it sit for a while, then if the piston inside is not bottomed out, I will start working at getting it to move just a little in, if it moves then I use a hone and clean up everything I can to the piston, I then get a rag and wrap it around the end of the slave so I don't lose the piston, I then stick my pointed air nozzle in the hole where the rubber hose goes and I pull the trigger, if it shoots out it gets caught in the rag, if it moves a little I push it back in a little and repeat till it does shoot out, I then hone the whole bore, put it back together and hope for the best, if it leaks I go find another slave and try again, so far I have never had to by a clutch slave, so far................ :mellow:

• Like 3

Sometimes they are just stuck and you have to buy a new one.

I hot tanked the slave cylinder and then used your technique.

The hot tank helped clean the outside really well but didn't help the piston move.

Lubed it up with PB again and used forced air. Came right out.

To hone it out so far I've just used a socket with fine sand paper. Might go get a brake cylinder hone.

It's gonna work fine

• Like 1