barNLove!

HOGIE

You don't take anything for granted on these old trucks, if it is available and cheap enough you buy extra as they might not be available later when you need them.

Tana is in the middle of moving right now, she might not even know where they are right now, but you have the old one working, I would suggest you buy a cheap electric fuel pump and everything else you need and store them behind the seat just in case.

• Like 5
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I contacted Tana about the diaphragm and she said they are packed away for the next two weeks or so. This means I'll be rocking the rebuilt fuel pump for the time being.

With the expected weather this weekend I've been focusing on the windshield wiper situation. The wire that comes off the internal auto stop switch seemed to be sheared off by mouse teeth so I pulled the cover and resoldered in a new wire. After looking at the wire diagram a bit I uses the test light to check power at the motor. LR wire has power when key is on and B wire is grounded. Now to the switch. B wires is not grounded. Open wire somewhere. I'll be working on the wipers tomorrow but I have rainex backup.

Now the turnsignal. The bulb socket for my passenger turnsignal is very rusty. I removed the bucket from the truck and have to attempt scour the bucket enough to first install a new bulb and to clean the metal enough to ground the bulb. I'm planning on carefully removing the rubber gasket and soaking it in the acid tank at work. That should do the trick. Thanks for the link Wayno but I'm not ready to drop $90 to get a new one just yet. Any tricks to clean these babies up? I wish I had a tiny Dremel wire wheel.

• Like 2

There is only one wire with power going in the 320 wiper motor(blue/red line), the rest are all grounds, it's the same with 520 and 521 wiper motors, I believe all Datsun wiper motors are the same in that respect, one hot wire, the rest are grounds.

I wired a 720 wiper motor into a 320, it works great but has only one speed(slow/park) because I used the 320 wiper switch.

• Like 2

The switch grounds the BW wire that goes to the motor. I have no ground at the B wire at the switch to ground the BW wire. I may just jump a good ground to the switch to see if that does the trick.

• Like 2

(edit: just saw you mentioned you used Rain-X and I missed it) 

I would apply a good coat of Rain-X to the windshield, if you haven't already.  That may be enough for you anyways.  

I spent a long time getting my wipers working, and even on its best day, the 320 mechanism is crap.  One speed, sloppy mechanism, barely any pressure onto blade, etc.  

Rain-X does a better job for the most part, and I just quickly turn the wipers off and on if its really pouring.  It doesn't do much, and its annoyingly fast and loud, and seems like it'll just break itself apart again.

• Like 3

Here is one on ebay, I will not say with certainty it will fit though, but the seller says it does.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Distributor-Cap-Fits-Datsun-312-320-410-1200cc-E1-Engine-1962-1963-1964-1965-/311859964241?hash=item489c4d6951:g:vrwAAOSwB4NWzQlI&vxp=mtr

Your not going to find a distributor cap at a auto parts store for the 320 with an E1 engine, they just don't have them anymore, that is why I wrote that article about the MG Midget distributor fitting the E1 engine, they have lots of aftermarket support while the Datsun 320 has none.

• Like 2

Here is one on ebay, I will not say with certainty it will fit though, but the seller says it does.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Distributor-Cap-Fits-Datsun-312-320-410-1200cc-E1-Engine-1962-1963-1964-1965-/311859964241?hash=item489c4d6951:g:vrwAAOSwB4NWzQlI&vxp=mtr

Your not going to find a distributor cap at a auto parts store for the 320 with an E1 engine, they just don't have them anymore, that is why I wrote that article about the MG Midget distributor fitting the E1 engine, they have lots of aftermarket support while the Datsun 320 has none.

I reread the thread you started about ignition upgrades for E1. I had read it around the time you started it but not again as the debates progressed. I found this distributor on ebay

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Pertronix-D178600-Distributor-4Cyl-12V-Positive-Ground-BMC-A-B-MG-Triumph-Austin-/390665147320?fits=Make%3AMG&hash=item5af57513b8%3Am%3AmMC0U_lHrTMLrT4sDSaMVLg&_trkparms=pageci%253Adbd6fb48-4ccf-11e7-a380-74dbd180cc9f%257Cparentrq%253A8b350d0f15c0a7f2344689a7fff7a8c0%257Ciid%253A4

It seems installing one of these would be a lot less of a headache than trying to track down OEM E1 parts. I hope I can keep it running well enough to make it up to Canby Sunday.

I've put a lot of work into it lately try to make it to the show. It would really suck if it's sitting in my garage this weekend

• Like 2

I have not tried it yet, but you might be able to use a side entry cap with that positive ground distributor and no one would know it is not stock at a glance.

As I said, I have not tried it yet, my U320 was already converted over to negative ground, so I bought this distributor for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Midget-1275-AccuSpark-Electronic-Ignition-Distributor-replaces-Lucas-25d-/390397434482?hash=item5ae5801a72:m:mnqKFPjABt73yF1iFF_hQ7w&vxp=mtr

Stock distributor caps are very hard to find for the 320 E1 engine anymore, and the ones you can find are expensive, rotors and points are also hard to find, this is why I posted that thread about the MG distributors fitting the E1 engine, it was a fluke that I pulled that distributor off that Midget engine, if I had sold that engine complete earlier I would never have figured it out, but it took forever to find a buyer for that engine.

• Like 2

It's running on the old distributor cap and 3 out of 4 new plug wires, one of the old ones because the screw was seized. Wiper, turnsignals, brake and headlights work. I'm driving it to Canby. Not sure if tonight or tomorrow morning

• Like 4

barNLove won 1st Place at Canby 2017 for "Work In Progress"

I think it's pretty funny. The award shows that the truck was the best vehicle that isn't show worth, but getting there. It's that farm fresh look.

Only 320 at the show too

image_zpsxnoiwn9o.jpg

image_zpsoxrk3gwn.jpg

• Like 10

Congrats!!! Did you drive it to Canby? How far?

I think Draker's pic explain your first question.

It was about 115-120 miles. Took the long way on back roads because 55mph was just enough for the old girl.

• Like 6