barNLove!

HOGIE

I found me some barNLove!

Wednesday my phone buzzes. It Draker. Say,

"check out the 320 thread."

Wayno say, ".....NL320 could be had for $800."

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/70614-found-a-320nl/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1428616

So I PM Wayno and he directs me to NICO club where Oregon Jim has posted a truck that belonged to Ed. Said it's been in the barn for almost 20 years

http://forums.nicoclub.com/nl320-barn-find-t611577.html

I move into freak out action mode, called Ed a bunch of times.

Thursday, called Ed a bunch if times again and get through. Talk to him about coming to see the truck on Saturday.

The rest of Thursday and Friday I'm sweating hoping someone else does buy it first, thank

Saturday drove up and picked it. Ed knew I wanted it bad and jacked up the price. He may have been bs'n me by saying someone offered him more than the last amount we talked about but it was going in the trailer.

image_zpsvnne0kiy.jpg

image_zpsoifu4ds8.jpg

It's been sitting in my my dad's trailer for the last two week waiting for me to clear some room out in my cluttered garage but now it's home. It's a small garage but it fits. Still need to priorities some more room to give it more space to breath and space for me to work on things this rainy winter.

image_zpscqw11i2l.jpg

image_zpswc9zec3b.jpg

image_zpspgjweadp.jpg

All that crap in the back won't be there long

Plans will be go through brakes, they are rubbing bad. Clean up and check column shift linkage and linkage at the transmission. Get the engine to turn over by hand. Clean up E1 and engine bay. Tune up. Change all fluids( motor, trans, rearend, brake, fuel). Hot tank and flush fuel tank. Wheel seal lube. Reupholster seat. Drive.

• Like 7
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are your choices for front lenses.

Amber(stock color), these are the best quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Datsun-NL320-Front-Turn-Lens-Pair-New-1963-64-EVER-WING-A3043-/122177500579?hash=item1c7258b5a3:g:QTcAAOSwPc9Wx5tu&vxp=mtr

Here are a clear set, I will sell you a set for less if you want clear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-320-312-Pickup-Front-Turn-Signal-Lights-Lens-Genuine-NOS-JAPAN-LH-RH-/112180061720?hash=item1a1e73e618:g:55wAAOSwo4pYDqvZ&vxp=mtr

I also would remove the trailer hitch, too bad they drilled holes in the bumper. :(

• Like 2

I wish you were not so far away, I would like to take a look at it.

The shift lever is likely just fine, it just has not been moved in years, be careful with it, lube all the joints on the lever, and in the engine compartment, maybe the transmission arms also, lube everything with PB Blaster or WD40 that moves, anything that will loosen stuff up, you don't want too break the shift lever arm, they are expensive on ebay, and not the proper color for the truck if they will even fit the truck.

The tailgate needs some love, check for rust in the hinge area, if it has any you need to remove the tailgate cover and start using a lot of rust inhibitors, you should do that anyway, tailgates are very hard to find in any condition, I have been trying to find a rear bumper for one of these trucks for years, no luck so far.

• Like 2

Here are your choices for front lenses.

Amber(stock color), these are the best quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Datsun-NL320-Front-Turn-Lens-Pair-New-1963-64-EVER-WING-A3043-/122177500579?hash=item1c7258b5a3:g:QTcAAOSwPc9Wx5tu&vxp=mtr

Here are a clear set, I will sell you a set for less if you want clear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-320-312-Pickup-Front-Turn-Signal-Lights-Lens-Genuine-NOS-JAPAN-LH-RH-/112180061720?hash=item1a1e73e618:g:55wAAOSwo4pYDqvZ&vxp=mtr

I also would remove the trailer hitch, too bad they drilled holes in the bumper. :(

Amber turn signals will look better I think.

Why would they drill holes in the bumper? It is what it is, I'm going to rock it.

• Like 1

I wish you were not so far away, I would like to take a look at it.

The shift lever is likely just fine, it just has not been moved in years, be careful with it, lube all the joints on the lever, and in the engine compartment, maybe the transmission arms also, lube everything with PB Blaster or WD40 that moves, anything that will loosen stuff up, you don't want too break the shift lever arm, they are expensive on ebay, and not the proper color for the truck if they will even fit the truck.

The tailgate needs some love, check for rust in the hinge area, if it has any you need to remove the tailgate cover and start using a lot of rust inhibitors, you should do that anyway, tailgates are very hard to find in any condition, I have been trying to find a rear bumper for one of these trucks for years, no luck so far.

Your just going to have to make the long hour trip down anyways. I need to make more space in the garage so I can free up the brakes. Then I can push it in and out of the garage to clean things up and work on it more easily.

And yes I'm totally going to go slow at lubing up and loosening the column shift linkage. Definilty don't want to brake hard to replace parts. PB blaster is my friend

• Like 1

Here is my 1964 Datsun NL320 with a chrome grill, I think it is to much chrome, it has amber turn signal lenses.

DSCN1373_zps8d1d96fb.jpg

DSCN1377_zps15802e97.jpg

I like this look better, but I could not find anyone that could black chrome the center, and chrome chrome the outer ring like in the photos below.

DSCN0584.jpg

DSCN0582.jpg

I have clear front and back lenses for this or my U320, not sure I will ever use them now, it took years to get them made.

DSCN4839.JPG DSCN4836.JPG

DSCN4837.JPG

• Like 6

I have a large fortune in chrome plating, I have $2000.00 into 8 320 hubcaps, and that doesn't even count what the hubcaps cost me.

I had a lot of chrome plating done for my NL320 and U320, I still need a decent rear bumper though, I have a tweaked one that looks good from a distance, but up close it looks bad.

• Like 1

Yes, I seen that mod in a photo in Mike's thread, so I decided to do it.

DSCN0343.jpg

I have the stock hood also.

DSCN0519.jpg

Very cool ouch on the price of the chroming. You could probably have someone grind through the chrome on your bumper do some metal fab and ten send it back off to chrome. You should talk to my dad about the bumper, for real, he's one of the senior technicians a MetalWorks Classic Restoration. He'll know how to save it. PM if you want to to get contact

• Like 1

What happened was that I took 2 rear bumpers to an outfit that is no longer in business, I told them what I needed, I asked them if they needed a sample bumper made out of fiberglass that showed them what it was supposed to look like, they said no problem, they had it covered, well if you look at your rear bumper, from the middle out it kinda bends forward till it reaches the end and then curves around forward on the sides, well when I picked up the parts the damned bumper was perfectly straight from one end to the other, then it curved around on the ends, it wasn't even close.

So I bent on it and bent on it till I got it close, but it is twisted now, but when I mount it it is close enough to fool anyone that doesn't know any better, still it makes me mad thinking about it, I asked them if they wanted the fiberglass replica to know what it was supposed to look like, that is why they are not in business anymore.

It made marks in the bumper when I put it in the vise to bend it trying to make it close to the shape it was supposed to be, I have never had good luck with platers.

Right now I am not putting much more money into Datsuns after I get the 520 ute engine done, I am selling right now, I am sending a Roadster engine to Australia next week, I have about 6/7 craigslist ads going right now, no more big money into Datsuns until I get rid of most of this stuff I have around here, and I have a lot of stuff.

• Like 1

These are awesome trucks, I'll be following this, I'm wishing i hadn't sold mine. Someday I'll have another. I almost jumped on this one but wayno sai you were trying hard to get. So i didn't step on any toes. You got a hell of a deal. These trucks are rare and hold a spot in my heart.

I do appreciate the non-toe-stepping, and I'll understand if that was mostly out of respect for wayno. I had to give Ed nearly twice the originally mentioned cost but I still think it was an amazing deal for how complete it is. I'm going to be appreciating this truck for a long time.

Have you seen this?

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5815997251.html

• Like 2

Nice job.  Great deal at the price you referenced.  Really, really great deal.  I saw the original post on NICOclub.  Sounds like you are going to treat the truck right, so I'm glad you got it.  

Question:  so the NLs have a one-piece full-width rear bumper?  Mine (64 L320) has the two piece rear bumper.  I thought that was original to both, but I learn something new about these trucks every day.  

Post more pics of the engine bay and interior when you get a chance.  Both because we'd like to see but also it seems the truck is very original so it would be good reference for people.  Thanks.  

• Like 2

Also, if you are doing brakes you can get a lot of parts from Rockauto.  You should order the adjusters soon, because they are on closeout.  

Beck Arnley 0850024 (left side)

Beck Arnley 0850032 (right side)

They are on closeout for around $10 each from Rockauto right now, don't buy them on ebay where somebody is selling the exact same ones for $40 apiece.  

Drums and shoes are also available from Rockauto.  

Good luck.  

• Like 2

Nice job.  Great deal at the price you referenced.  Really, really great deal.  I saw the original post on NICOclub.  Sounds like you are going to treat the truck right, so I'm glad you got it.  

Question:  so the NLs have a one-piece full-width rear bumper?  Mine (64 L320) has the two piece rear bumper.  I thought that was original to both, but I learn something new about these trucks every day.  

Post more pics of the engine bay and interior when you get a chance.  Both because we'd like to see but also it seems the truck is very original so it would be good reference for people.  Thanks.

Thanks

To my knowledge NL only had the full bumper. Someone else can confirm this.

More pics to come, for sure

Also, if you are doing brakes you can get a lot of parts from Rockauto.  You should order the adjusters soon, because they are on closeout.  

Beck Arnley 0850024 (left side)

Beck Arnley 0850032 (right side)

They are on closeout for around $10 each from Rockauto right now, don't buy them on ebay where somebody is selling the exact same ones for $40 apiece.  

Drums and shoes are also available from Rockauto.  

Good luck.

I love rock auto. I'll check it out soon for the close outs

• Like 1