barNLove!

HOGIE

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know you mentioned this previously.. what are you going to do on the seat/interior?

What I have to do is get the seat reapolstered. It was a mouse house. Also pull the floor mat and simple green scrub the shit out of it and the floor. Also there are a few products made to kill peep smell. Por15 the floor too. I'm plannig on using the floor mat that's already in it. Door panels will need to be redone too, they are curling falling apart.

My dad bought an industrial sewing machine at some swap meet or estate sale. He's never used.

I think we could figure it out. I'm pretty comfortable sewing actually. We'd need to remove and preserve the upholstery that's on there and make a pattern, I'll take the frame/springs to work and clean it, pick and get the upholstery colors, re-pad the frame and make it happen. The only part that I'd feel was tricky is the re-padding the frame. I'm sure there are some well outlined threads around here somewhere to help us out.

I would want to make patterns and replace the boards for the kick panels, door panels and rear package tray/shelf thing.

• Like 1

Removed the upholstery to back rest

image_zpsclfeuvhj.jpg

Passenger side

image_zpsclfeuvhj.jpg

Drivers side, I'll have mirror the pattern from the passenger side to come up with the missing pieces

image_zpsxchvngho.jpg

Seat section upholstery removed. I still have some digging to reveal the stitches. They used some kind of thick adhesive to hold the material to the thatch.

image_zpsvlbw8srm.jpg

• Like 1

A couple more pics just to help me recall the way the padding and other materials when together. I'm taking the seat frames to work tomorrow to clean them up and I'm not going to stop and take pics. Just tear it all off and throw it in the dumpster

Seat back

image_zps4jbfd0j0.jpg

Seat

image_zpsea2x3hxd.jpg

Peeled back the foam to see what was below, just the burlap stuff there

image_zpsaszn9vz3.jpg

• Like 1

Flat razor blade is far superior seam ripper in my opinion. Snick a stitch, pull a couple loose, repeat.

Panels can be rebuilt with duct tape so you have the proper shape and size. Just tape both sides so there's no sticky.

• Like 1

My first thought was to make a pattern of what it has now and go back to the same. White (or cream) with black stripes.

See if you can find any YouTube videos on upholstery. That's one of my first stops when I need to tackle a new chore that I have no related experience at.

Ratsun is unbeatable for Datsun Specific' stuff. YT and the internet in general handle most of the rest.

Steve

• Like 2

I'm done cleaning barNLove's fuel tank. I took it to my favorite local radiator guy Mile at A1 in Eugene. He re-soldered the filler neck, breather, pick up tube, as well as the hole I drilled in it to let all the air escape during the cleaning process.

Tank. It did look a little brighter before I took it to get checked out but Mike. He plugged all the holes, pressure tested it and rolled it in water to look for leaks. That washed away the rust inhibitor and it started to oxidize a little. It also has some flux residue on it in these pics

image_zpsqaro9thw.jpg

Pick up tube soldered

image_zpsgrnggdgj.jpg

Breather tube soldered

image_zpscjizu338.jpg

Filler neck soldered

image_zpsww8exfv7.jpg

Patched hole I made for cleaning with a 1964 penny, soldered in

image_zpsycfkdkbv.jpg

Cleaned off the flux residue, scuffed it with Scotch Brite, and painted it with rust preventer black. Sorry for the dark oic

image_zpsnm7wydgf.jpg

• Like 2

Some weekend in Febuary or June

Right now I need to finish the never-ending-procrastinated-brake-job. I need to have another rubber line made for the rear brake line and I want to get a clutch rubber line made at the same time so I don't have to make another trip

I've been focused on the fuel system but that's pretty f'n close to done. The fuel pump should be here in the next week or two and I need to pick up a couple fuel filter elements from the tractor store.

Once that shits done it's on to bench seat reupholstery project.

I still need to drain/fill the rearend and trans then inspect shift linkage

Oh yah and I need to buy fuses to finish the fuse block clean up. Simple

There is more too, like I need tires.

I know the truck will start and run so I want to get all the other things it needs done so when I start it up I can drive it around

• Like 2

Surf Craigslist for a matched set of free couches with upholstery you like. Typically the back and sides are in perfect condition, whether fabric or "leather". Strip that off and chuck the rest. Boom, free upholstery. And if you're super ambitious use the foam too, just might have to glue a couple pieces together :).

That being said, ive never actually done this. I just have long thought it would be a fun way to try doing seats on the cheap.