2015 CANBY TRUCK

denmarkboy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the fuse block off carefully.  Get a quart wide mouth Mason Jar, I think it will fit, put the fuse block in it and fill it up with white distilled vinegar and leave it over night.  Take it out the next day and gently rinse it off.  Blow it off with low pressure air to dry.  Inspect and repeat process if still tarnished.

• Like 2

I am not sure if the 4 always hot, 2 ignition hot, or the 3 always hot, 3 ignition hot is the correct fuse box for this truck.

Just wire it up like the cover indicates, so it is not confusing to the next owner of the truck.

I would suggest using an extra relay, with fused power directly from the battery, or starter lug, to supply power to the original 521 headlight relay.

Pin 85 on new relay goes to ground.

Pull the red with yellow stripe wire off the original headlight relay, plug it into PIn 86.

Direct battery power goes to pin 30 of the extra relay.

Pin 87 of new relay goes to the empty pin on the original headlight relay.

This mod takes headlight current out of the original 521 fuse box.  If you have seen a fair number of 521 fuse boxes, they probably have heat damage at the headlight fuse. 

without headlight current having to go into the cab, through the headlight switch,and back out of the cab again, the headlights get higher voltage, and are brighter.

If the extra relay is located close the the original headlight relay, even when the fuse for the original headlights blow out, you can move the power wire from pin 30 back to the original headlight relay, where the red with yellow stripe wire was, and have headlights.

• Like 3

That's almost a "must have" mod on the trucks.  My wife's 521 kept melting the ends out of the fuses....wouldn't blow....just melt to the point where it wouldn't work.  I did this relay mod to it and like Danial said....the headlights get noticeably brighter.  Haven't had to replace a fuse since. 

DONATED  CANBY TRUCK PARTS :    DONATED BY :                                                 

FRONT BRAKES & KING PIN REBUILD........................................mklotz70

SEATS & DOOR CARDS    .......................................................ratdat3

PARTS TRANSPORT & LABOR ................................................................. hobospyder

TRANSPORTATION ................................................................................... eagle_adam

DASH BOARD ..................................................................... ....................... uberkevin

IGNITION SYSTEM & SWITCHES  ............................................................. charlie69

TRANSPORTATION .................................................................................... fastdadd

FRONT TURN LENSES .............................................................................. skyblue

POWDER COATING .................................................................................... jrock4224

HOOD AND LABOR ..................................................................................... jester

KNOBS & SHIFTER ..................................................................................... mattndew76

521 TRUCK .................................................................................................. datslocos & denmarkboy

INFORMATION AND SUPPORT .................................................................. ratsun

EVENT & RAFFLE ........................................................................................ datsuns northwest

PAYPAL & TOWING ...................................................................................... bowtie towing

BUILD BOARD & GRAPHICS ........................................................................ the graphics shop

STREERING WHEEL & WING WINDOWS & HUBS...................................... wayno  

RATSUN GRILL BADGE & RATSUN SHIFT KNOB ...................................... Dime Dave 

PAYPAL DONATIONS CAN BE MADE : Tbowtie@comcast.net

please make donations as a gift , to avoid 8% fee per transaction.

PAYPAL DONATIONS :  

]2eDeYe   a6m-zero  Justin Berni    hobosyder   Charlie69  Gradyfest

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU DONATING PARTS AND LABOR .

87acd5a1-0505-4d71-a241-5bcdeb938755_zps                                                 1d791ab1-3748-43bd-97f2-c07f109ed680_zps

header-image3_zpsxw6uiqjj.jpg

674f4a1e-2d87-4617-81ea-5657144c2d80_zps                                                                  90b3f0fb-7cb3-4e14-bf87-df29436a0d9a_zps

40c7a9ca-81d8-44ba-ad9d-f9c72acf06c8_zps                        d3868d73-2225-4f98-b3e4-78ee29a0f58e_zps

1f652a55-984d-4366-9332-ef29def30cf7_zps                           2d81198a-0c7e-473e-8f0a-2478503cd800_zps

1397610931_zpsfrrq03zl.pnghttp://www.bluehandsinc.com          http://eugenegraphicsshop.com           http://www.youtube.com/user/bluehandsvideo.

http://datsunsnw.org              http://www.md-machinist.com        http://www.futofab.com/            

PARTS STILL NEEDED FOR THE BUILD

14 inch white wall tires                                                                               paint

labor                                                                                                        one hub cap

transportation                                                                                            carpet

fuse block                                                                                                  labor 

paint                                                                                                         rubber kit 

• Like 1

I am not sure if the 4 always hot, 2 ignition hot, or the 3 always hot, 3 ignition hot is the correct fuse box for this truck.

Just wire it up like the cover indicates, so it is not confusing to the next owner of the truck.

I would suggest using an extra relay, with fused power directly from the battery, or starter lug, to supply power to the original 521 headlight relay.

Pin 85 on new relay goes to ground.

Pull the red with yellow stripe wire off the original headlight relay, plug it into PIn 86.

Direct battery power goes to pin 30 of the extra relay.

Pin 87 of new relay goes to the empty pin on the original headlight relay.

This mod takes headlight current out of the original 521 fuse box.  If you have seen a fair number of 521 fuse boxes, they probably have heat damage at the headlight fuse. 

without headlight current having to go into the cab, through the headlight switch,and back out of the cab again, the headlights get higher voltage, and are brighter.

If the extra relay is located close the the original headlight relay, even when the fuse for the original headlights blow out, you can move the power wire from pin 30 back to the original headlight relay, where the red with yellow stripe wire was, and have headlights.

great mod tip Daniel, thanks for that info.

• Like 1

If anything in my explanation does not make sense, I can provide more clarification.

This is Ratsun's fuse box cover.

FuseBoxCover.jpg

The main difference between the fuse block on Ratsun and Canby truck, that I can see is this.  Canby truck has the four always hot, two ignition switched configuration, and Ratsun has the three always hot, three ignition switched configuration.  On Ratsun, the headlight fuse is also the tail and marker light fuse.  Canby truck uses one fuse for headlights, and the fourth always hot fuse for the taillights. 

I did have the wiring for the tachometer light short to ground on Ratsun.  That took out all my lights, and had I not had the extra relay set up for the headlights, I would have been in the dark with Ratsun, on the way home.  I did use the added power wire to the extra relay to power the original headlight relay directly, and turned on the four way flasher, to have some lights on the back of the truck.

• Like 1

nas those are your wheels onthe left ...kevin sheats can attest they been done for a grip ... life has just been tough i will meet up this week with you bro i promise,.....coated the dash too ...did the lower inthe wheel color but we are gonna do it white ... some one was sending me a metal ass tray for this ... please speak up i never got one for it but the dash looks tight in blue too .....canby blue as its now called 

• Like 4

My opinion, the original fuse box on a 521 is adequate, on a stock truck, with no added electrical accessories, when new.  That was 45 years ago.

The headlight current going through the headlight fuse makes the fuse clips get hot.  Then they lose spring tension.  The heat also speed up oxidation of the fuse clips, making the connection there even worse.

Glass fuses are made by soldering the fuse element to the end caps of the fuse.  If the fuse gets hot, it is very common for the fuse element to come unsoldered, inside the end cap, and you cannot see that.  The fuse looks good, but it is not.

• Like 1