Revival of the Chickenhawk...

Someone is going to have to 'splain this to me. Or at lest tell what to put in the google to find it.

I figured you guys would know all the old hot rod tricks. I think the marbled effect on the top stripe is done this way. You use smoke to stain the under coat then clear or candy over it. The best part about acetylene is that you can wipe it off and try again til you get it right.

The link I posted didn't work. There are a couple threads at jalopy journal and a good one at jockey journal. I searched "using acetylene in paint job"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've used it all in the past. I worked for a place that blasted jet fuel storage containers with the occasional car thrown in the mix. walnut shells, and aluminum oxide worked the best. Just be careful with your roof  it wont warp the metal unless you spend a lot of time in the same spot make sure you use a circle pattern.    

Agree. Always keep it moving.

Drill hole in C-pillar...

normal_20141215_123430.jpg

Drill hole in inner pillar panel...

normal_20141215_123502.jpg

Install aircraft fuel filler neck...

normal_20141215_140335.jpg

Tim purchased a replacement top for the fuel cell that just has a pipe instead of a cap. Once that's in, we just need to get from here to there and we'll be set. 

Now less gas fumes in the car after fill-up!    :thumbup:

• Like 1

Filler taken off fuel cell and replaced with a neck...

20141218_111825.jpg

Mocking up a filler hose...

20141218_151037.jpg

Having the old tank vent between the tail lights caused it to sometimes slosh out fuel on acceleration when the tank was full, so we thought we'd move it. So we decided to replace one of the bolts in the new filler with the vent...

20141218_132535.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tim's TIG welder doesn't seem to like welding thin Datsun sheetmetal, so we went to Northern and picked up a MIG welder today. 

We wasted no time in firing it up and testing it out, so...

Took the gas door and hammered the edges out smooth...

20150110_105915.jpg

Test fit looks good...

20150110_110108.jpg

Cut out the inside of the gas door area...

20150110_114821.jpg

Welded up the keyhole, then welded the door onto the car and ground the welds down flush...

20150110_122919.jpg

Welded up the emblem holes in the quarter...

20150110_123608.jpg

Ground those down flush also...

20150110_123617.jpg

20150110_130750.jpg

Welded up the driver's side holes and ground those flush...

20150110_130614.jpg

Since we will be running no wipers, we welded up the passenger side wiper hole as well (sorry, no pic). We are planning to use the driver's side wiper hole to mount a master kill for the battery. More holes to weld up next week, so stay tuned...

• Like 3

another one ?   !!!!!!

Another welder?  Yeah, but it was cheap.

Another hole?  Yeah, there are a lot of them.

Another week?  Yeah, we had to break for lunch and that's usually when we call it a day... for the week.

Another 1200?  Naw, I have owned this one for twenty of its forty-one years on this planet.  John just posts all of the pictures for me.

• Like 2

Damn it, every time I come in here to check this thread I have to scroll past that picture of "General Wee."  That scheme is growing on me.  No!  I must stick to my guns and go with the Vikin... I mean Speedway Motors yellow over purple I have wanted for ages!

Damn it, every time I come in here to check this thread I have to scroll past that picture of "General Wee."  That scheme is growing on me.  No!  I must stick to my guns and go with the Vikin... I mean Speedway Motors yellow over purple I have wanted for ages!

I think you should go with the General! :thumbup:

I just don't know... that scheme makes a mighty bolt statement.  Of course I do have two sets of 14" turbine wheels kicking about as well.  Let me grok the picture a little more and give it some thought.

• Like 2