Revival of the Chickenhawk...

I recently picked up an import L16, and since we decided that's how we wanted to go with the car, we tore into it to see what it'll need...

normal_20140426_125257.jpg

Being a used import motor, it thankfully has the closed chamber A87 and not the crappy 210 head. Also dug a '69 valve cover out of my stash to use on it...   :thumbup:

normal_20140426_130359.jpg

Overall it looks to be in very good shape. At some point it was bored 0.50mm and new pistons fitted, chain and guides look great, crank turns butter smooth, and the valvetrain all looks good aside from some surface corrosion on the cam lobes. 

Downside is at some point a small amount of water got into the #1 cylinder and there's some minor pitting on the cylinder wall at BDC. I'm hoping that some vigorous honing will get rid of it, but we shall see. Worst-case-scenario we have the block bored and bigger pistons fitted. Need to see if it can be bored enough to install L18/L20b pistons...

And since I was asked for current pics of the car, here it goes. Prepare yourself.  :blush:

normal_20140426_130654.jpg

Keen-eyed observers may notice it has changed a bit. Before, it had fiberglass BRE flares on it, we have since tossed those in favor of some steel flares that were welded on then blended in. Soon we will get it inside and torn down to address the body and paint, then when the engine is rebuilt reassembly will commence...   :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently picked up an import L16, and since we decided that's how we wanted to go with the car, we tore into it to see what it'll need...

normal_20140426_125257.jpg

Being a used import motor, it thankfully has the closed chamber A87 and not the crappy 210 head. Also dug a '69 valve cover out of my stash to use on it...   :thumbup:

normal_20140426_130359.jpg

Overall it looks to be in very good shape. At some point it was bored 0.50mm and new pistons fitted, chain and guides look great, crank turns butter smooth, and the valvetrain all looks good aside from some surface corrosion on the cam lobes. 

Downside is at some point a small amount of water got into the #1 cylinder and there's some minor pitting on the cylinder wall at BDC. I'm hoping that some vigorous honing will get rid of it, but we shall see. Worst-case-scenario we have the block bored and bigger pistons fitted. Need to see if it can be bored enough to install L18/L20b pistons...

And since I was asked for current pics of the car, here it goes. Prepare yourself.  :blush:

normal_20140426_130654.jpg

Keen-eyed observers may notice it has changed a bit. Before, it had fiberglass BRE flares on it, we have since tossed those in favor of some steel flares that were welded on then blended in. Soon we will get it inside and torn down to address the body and paint, then when the engine is rebuilt reassembly will commence...   :thumbup:

Looks like a fine automobile that just needs some TLC  :console:

• Like 1

Didn't get much accomplished today, but...   B)

Since we didn't have a lot of confidence in this block as is, seredipity kindly stepped in and helped us out. A buddy in San Antonio needed a little help on his 510, and he let slip he had a complete L18 short block he had no use for. So we hit the road, helped him out, and scored a clean(ish) L18 short block!  :thumbup:

Going to tear it down and clean it up next week, but the cylinder walls in it look brand new!  :wub:

• Like 1

Cleaned up pistons and top of block...

normal_20140510_103902.jpg

Unfortunately, it became clear at this point the cylinders needed a hone at least. Too bad because the bearings and rings were really clean...   :rofl:

Pulled the pistons out, and honed them all...

normal_20140510_130704.jpg

This was the worst hole and came up pretty clean...

normal_20140510_130728.jpg

Gonna get some new rod bearings and rings and put the bottom end back together next time.   :thumbup:

Also note we pulled the 7 foot long PCV pipe out to use the flush L16 pipe. Will need some minor mods since the hole in the block is a slightly different size, but I'm sure we can cut off the last inch of the L18 pipe and slide the L16 pipe inside it and weld them together. Then it should pop straight on.   :thumbup:

What valve cover is that that it says "Datsun?"

Also, check my events thread. I'd like your and Tim's input. I've got the member title, but I feel like you guys are the biggest contribution to Ratsun Texas.

What valve cover is that that it says "Datsun?"

Just your average, every day, early A-series cover... ok, maybe not EVERY day, unless you're at OUR shop.  Oops, was that too pretentious?

• Like 1

Ahhh. The only a series I've been around is on my father in laws welding machine, and it's a Nissan I believe. Makes me wanna go check it out and make sure it's not aluminum though.

Tim did some cleaning and maintenance of the carbs on his 7...

normal_20140510_090952.jpg

Love the under hood tool box. :thumbup:

I would think that is to keep the British vibe, gotta have tools everywhere you go, or a tow truck handy. :rofl:

• Like 1