Revival of the Chickenhawk...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you going to keep it two tone when you repaint, or just solid purple? :thumbup:

I am slowly being convinced to go with solid purple.  I think the two-tone with yellow over purple will work but John is worried I might be seen as a "Viking Fan," whatever the hell THAT means.  I guess it's some baseball thing?

• Like 1

I am slowly being convinced to go with solid purple.  I think the two-tone with yellow over purple will work but John is worried I might be seen as a "Viking Fan," whatever the hell THAT means.  I guess it's some baseball thing?

Yea, you would have to put the horns on the roof, instead of the hood like a proper Texan! :rofl:

• Like 2

Doors off, fuel cell out, wiper system gone, dash and wiring out, and 100 other little things done today...

We are basically down to a bare shell with the suspension still on. Since about 95% of the suspension will go in the garbage, we'll leave it on for now then change it out after it's painted...

There is some scuttlebutt that we will soon be locating a disc brake 4-link live axle from an '81 200SX to swap in. Rather than cut the mounts off and converting it to leaf spring mounts (as we've done in the past), we are planning to add the 4-link mounts to the car so we can ditch the buggy springs for good. 

Leaf springs are for suckers.   B)

• Like 1

How similar is the B210 sedan to the 1200 for mounting points? I've thought about trying to 4-link mine or IRS to deal with the issues I'm having getting low and still wanting a stiff suspension. I don't want to remove leaves since the stock suspension is already way softer than what I want...

With IRS I had hoped to run 180lb springs in the rear, so looking for a way to get something similar and 4-link seems a bit more (noob) fabrication freindly.

Oh, and if there is a vote, I vote that sheet purple for the whole car. That would look tits and you guys are pulling it all apart so I'm sure the paint will be amazing :thumbup:

How similar is the B210 sedan to the 1200 for mounting points? I've thought about trying to 4-link mine or IRS to deal with the issues I'm having getting low and still wanting a stiff suspension. I don't want to remove leaves since the stock suspension is already way softer than what I want...

With IRS I had hoped to run 180lb springs in the rear, so looking for a way to get something similar and 4-link seems a bit more (noob) fabrication freindly.

Oh, and if there is a vote, I vote that sheet purple for the whole car. That would look tits and you guys are pulling it all apart so I'm sure the paint will be amazing :thumbup:

What I have in mind is not a 4-link, it is a ladder-bar.  I plan to run a link from the bottom pickup point on the axle to the front leaf spring perch.  Then from the top pickup point, I plan to run a link either to the same leaf spring perch (if it is wide enough for two Heim joints) or to a double shear pickup point on the other link.  The angles of the stock pickups on the axle should/might (take your pick depending on your level of optimism) triangulate the thing enough to prevent side to side movement.  If it doesn't, I'll either do a Watts link or Panhard bar... depending on how lazy I get at that point!  Having said all of that, it should translate just fine to a B-210.

Your color vote has been noted and taken into consideration... and since John has pretty much decided that solid purple is the way to go, on MY car I might add, we'll probably be doing that.

How similar is the B210 sedan to the 1200 for mounting points?

Coupe-to-coupe is almost identical, as is sedan-to-sedan. But on both cars, the coupe and sedan have different floors. 

Having said all of that, it should translate just fine to a B-210.

What he said about mounting the links/bars/arms will translate, yes. As for other bits, that is to be determined. 

4-link will be a good bit easier. As will figuring out spring rates. 

The tricky bit will be figuring out where to put the springs. Between the frame rail and axle is probably a no go since on a lowered car there will only be 2-3" (or less) in between the two. So you either need to add spring pads just inside the frame rails so you can use at least a 4" long spring. Coil-over shocks seem like the simplest solution to me. 

Stay tuned to this thread since we'll be doing one of those on this car. And knowing Tim, it will be well engineered and work properly. 

• Like 2

Close, but too "blue."  In fact, the more I look at it the less purple it becomes.  I'd rather err on the side of "Holy crap!  What the hell were you thinking?"

Somewhere between that and this:

91189743.jpg

Ok, maybe that is a bit too far the other way!

• Like 1