Revival of the Chickenhawk...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Step 1, cut off the evil license plate bracket...

normal_20141211_121128.jpg

Well, I knew I shouldn't have been so happy that the floor showed very little signs of rust.   :crying:

When Tim first built this car 20 years ago there were some pinholes in the floor so he fiberglassed over them to seal up the cabin. We decided it would be best to pry up the fiberglass since it wasn't very well stuck down anymore, and this is what we found...

normal_20141211_142134.jpg

After that we figured we better scrape off what was on the driver's side floor to check it out. Those holes weren't quite so big, but holes nonetheless...

normal_20141211_142145.jpg

If you see the two lines marked on the floor in that photo, that's where the frame rail goes. Thankfully the steel above the frame rail is rock solid, so we are just going to cut out the offending bits and weld in new metal avoiding the frame rail as best we can.

Let's get to cutting!

normal_20141211_143057.jpg

After cutting that bit out...

normal_20141211_144726.jpg

Now to cut out more...

normal_20141211_153728.jpg

And the offending bits cut out of the right side...

normal_20141211_170714.jpg

We were contemplating sending the shell out to be media blasted to get rid of all the surface rust both minor and major, but after much discussion we posited "how hard can it be?".

So we are planning to just buy a good media blaster and some soda and giving it a go ourselves.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

Step 1, cut off the evil license plate bracket...

normal_20141211_121128.jpg

Well, I knew I shouldn't have been so happy that the floor showed very little signs of rust.   :crying:

When Tim first built this car 20 years ago there were some pinholes in the floor so he fiberglassed over them to seal up the cabin. We decided it would be best to pry up the fiberglass since it wasn't very well stuck down anymore, and this is what we found...

normal_20141211_142134.jpg

After that we figured we better scrape off what was on the driver's side floor to check it out. Those holes weren't quite so big, but holes nonetheless...

normal_20141211_142145.jpg

If you see the two lines marked on the floor in that photo, that's where the frame rail goes. Thankfully the steel above the frame rail is rock solid, so we are just going to cut out the offending bits and weld in new metal avoiding the frame rail as best we can.

Let's get to cutting!

normal_20141211_143057.jpg

After cutting that bit out...

normal_20141211_144726.jpg

Now to cut out more...

normal_20141211_153728.jpg

And the offending bits cut out of the right side...

normal_20141211_170714.jpg

We were contemplating sending the shell out to be media blasted to get rid of all the surface rust both minor and major, but after much discussion we posited "how hard can it be?".

So we are planning to just buy a good media blaster and some soda and giving it a go ourselves.  :thumbup:

Soda doesn't clean off rust, just paint, and light bondo.

I know you're joking, but I've wanted to do that acetylene trick on a car since I first learned about it. 

Someone is going to have to 'splain this to me.  Or at lest tell what to put in the google to find it.

Got my boss' bead blaster cleaned out. It's a cheapy Harbor Freight model that got gummed up. It works now, well, sort of...   :rofl:

We got some crushed glass media and gave it a go...

Works great on paint. This spot is the size of your hand, and took about 4-5 seconds..

normal_20141213_144513.jpg

On rust, it also works pretty quick...

normal_20141213_144521.jpg

On bondo, it was pretty slow going. This is about 2-3mm thick. Took maybe 10-12 seconds of spraying to get about halfway through it...

normal_20141213_144528.jpg

Doesn't seem to warp the metal at all, but it does leave a somewhat rough texture. If we go back over it with a high build primer I think it'll be fine.  :thumbup:

Any suggestions for other media are appreciated.   B)

• Like 1