Revival of the Chickenhawk...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A there months you don't drive your toys that don't have AC?

Not really.  Not because of the heat anyway.  I won't go for as long a hoon when it is a brazillion degrees out, but if a hoon is in order, a hoon will be taken.  As for driving one to work, it is still usually cool enough at seven in the morning that I'm not drenched in sweat upon arrival, and being stinky and sweaty when I get home isn't a big hairy deal.  Now, the "cold" months do see the Seven parked up and I doubt I'll venture out many times with this car sans heater.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, you may call off the hit squad.  I finally zooked the driver's floor into the car today.  It still needs more work, but there is a floor in the car now.  Hopefully John will post up some pictures so it isn't just my word on the matter.

• Like 1

Hopefully John will post up some pictures...

Tim welding in the left half...

20150321_085451.jpg

Right half...

20150321_160324.jpg

Now stick out your tongue...

20150321_113949.jpg

Now center exit...

IMG_20150321_115038.jpg

Took a spare grill and a 4" hole saw and...

20150321_100252.jpg

4" pipe cap made into a light bucket...

20150321_100119.jpg

Lens popped on...

20150321_100130.jpg

Other side done...

20150321_100822.jpg

The plan was to cut a round hole in the grill and leave the horizontal bars in there. The hole saw had other ideas.  :sneaky:

So we will remove all the horizontal bars and replace them with some mesh.  :thumbup:

As for the exhaust cut out, I think we are going to get some thin stainless sheet and make something like this for it after it's painted.

hs0207sbimp-dt_0.jpg

• Like 2

Don't be so coy. 

We all know he will change direction with said project in 12 more posts. 

After that, refer back to this post. 

Hey now I resen... ok, yeah.  That's fair enough.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

I did a little more floor zooking today and hopefully an 200SX rear axle will be in my hot little hands soon!  Once I have that unit, I'll start playing with a modified four-link setup.  Stay tuned... or not, I'm easy either way.

• Like 2

You might have to wrestle that 200sx rear end from John. 

Extra fab to work in yours or bolt right in to his. 

There's actually one in the JY down the street from the shop. Been meaning to go get it...

And I'm still undecided as to whether I want to swap it. The discs would be nice, but the extra width is unwanted at this time. We shall see...

Actually, today I had a thought: I wonder if you can just swap the disc brakes over from the H165 200SX diff onto the stock B310 diff? If the axle flange bolt pattern is the same, I don't see why you couldn't...

• Like 1

My welder is basicly one of those tiny hot boxes. It's a FP120 (Firepower) MIG setup. Doesn't even accept gas, so it's all flux core :(

So, this was the car that had a Z-series engine in it at one time right? I get lost on all of the projects you guys have going, but I was wondering how that setup worked out. I have heard that their heads are a real pain to work with since they are set for emissions, but it seems that the power level would be pretty perfect for B210s/1200s.

Just looking at options for the 4dr so I can justify pulling the A15 for the coupe :devil:

So, this was the car that had a Z-series engine in it at one time right? I get lost on all of the projects you guys have going, but I was wondering how that setup worked out. I have heard that their heads are a real pain to work with since they are set for emissions, but it seems that the power level would be pretty perfect for B210s/1200s.

Just looking at options for the 4dr so I can justify pulling the A15 for the coupe :devil:

Yes, this car had a Z-20 for quite a while.  I ran it for a year or two with the only modification being a Weber 38 DGAS.  I even ran the factory "open port" exhaust manifold.  It was a screamer!  Then one day I found a guy who sold race cams for dirt track cars and bought the most radical cam one could run with stock valvetrain.  While installing that unit, I built a header for it and had some port work done.  HO... LEE... CRAP!  The thing was just stupid fast.  The car didn't accelerate so much as squirt forward with each shift.  The idle was... choppy to say the least and it pulled like a train.  With solid motor mounts, the whole car rocked from side to side with the lumpy idle.  In order to not get an assault charge, I have had to stop talking to people and walk away when they compared it to the idle of an Hardly Dumb-assed-one motorcycle.

Having re-read what I just wrote, I realize I gave pretty much NO useful information as to what the cam's specs were, what I had done to the head, or anything.  Sorry dudes and dudettes (if there are any dudettes here), that was twenty years ago and I have a notoriously sieve-like memory for details of that nature.  

• Like 2

My welder is basicly one of those tiny hot boxes. It's a FP120 (Firepower) MIG setup. Doesn't even accept gas, so it's all flux core :(

That's what we are using.   ^_^

So, this was the car that had a Z-series engine in it at one time right? I have heard that their heads are a real pain to work with since they are set for emissions...

Lies and myths perpetuated by the L-series lobbyists.  :lol:

It's a very good design. The problem is that is limited in how much you can port it and how large a cam you can run without valve interference. So it's not the best for a "full race" engine, but for a street engine it's equal to a comparable L-series head. 

And on a LHD car it gives you many more intake and exhaust options since it's a cross flow design. :thumbup:

And it's much easier to turbocharge.   :cool:

• Like 1