How do you support your Datsun habit?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't drink, smoke or whore around. Or beat my wife. I make peanut butter sandwiches and bike to work every day. I have no hobbies, or friends that I hang with or any bad habits other than posting too much. I cut the lawn and tend the flower beds in summer, shovel the driveway if it should snow in winter but usually just scrape the frost of my wife's windshield. I do the dishes a few times a week and vacuum now and then. My check is direct deposit into our joint account. Anything I need my wife picks up for me, she pays when we go out, and I get $50 a week to spend as I want. It may not sound like much but I don't need much either, everything is covered and I don't feel a bit guilty spending it on my Datsun(s). Oh yeah with all my spare time I plan projects and maybe work on them or my 710s. I talk about Datsuns, think about them or post about them. My wife could have done a lot worse.

• Like 2

been doing this for years. it's like second nature to me now. I do all the work myself and only have to spend money on parts. having a full time job helps too. lol. Don't feel bad about spending money on my datsuns, they are the only thing keeping my sane.

Quote I heard last year and loved it, "they say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy car parts and car parts make me happy."

• Like 4

I've had my Datsun 24 years. It was my first car and the best car I've ever owned. After so many years of him being so great to me I was happy when I was finally able to be nice to him. I love going to junkyards. It was even better that I was finding parts for my 210. Getting him back to near show room quality has been amazing and it's been fun putting him back together. It's a great little car that has deserved much love and attention. My bf understands my Datsun obsession and supports me in it so bless him for that :) He even goes to the boneyards with me to help me pull parts. I've even been able to apply my graphic skills in making my own 1/4 panel emblems. My hard work has paid off and it is pretty satisfying.

DSCN0530_sm.jpg

DSCN0529_sm.jpg

DSCN0551_sm.jpg

DSCN0776_zps498f6b34.jpg

DSCN0777_zpsd48980a2.jpg

DSCN0782_zps9f6d52c3.jpg

• Like 6

Most of what I spend on my cars comes from side jobs at my shop. If someone comes in and want's something made and they are willing to pay in cash. That goes into my Datto money. 

Also when I do jobs that yield a lot of scrap metal,  Aluminum, SS, Brass and so on. That also goes into the fund. With 3 cars it does not go very far that's for sure. 

i'm kinda like mike in the respect that I don't drink, do drugs, or have many friends that I go party with. I go to work, come home, sleep, wake up, and repeat. my house payment is less than rent anywhere near me other than a 1 bed shithole, and I work my ass off. make sure bills are paid, my girl and her son have everything they need, whatevers left goes into keeping the cars running. granted, once I get them all moving it'll be much easier, i'll have 5 or 6 to chose from lol.

After so many years of him being so great to me I was happy when I was finally able to be nice to him. I love going to junkyards. It was even better that I was finding parts for my 210. Getting him back to near show room quality has been amazing and it's been fun putting him back together. It's a great little car that has deserved much love and attention.

Your Datsun is a him? I love it.

I have 2 rental houses. I work my ass off to pay the mortgages on them, and then spend the rent money from one of them like an irresponsible teenager. No drugs, smokes or gambling. just cars.

colourbox your 210 looks amazing and super clean . your emblem skills are good and when you couldnt find the parts you said  dammitt I will make them myself, I love it

My datsun obssessin goes back to my high school days. Dad worked at the main nissan supply warehouse, back then they would have overstock, slightly damadged and employee discount parts we built a brand new L16 with an A87 closed chamber head and it was super cheap

I got out of Datsuns when my daughter was born in 93 as I needed to sell my car (72 510 2 door) and my wifes 81 toyota corona hatchback  to buy a family air conditioned car.

I also dont drink, smoke or do drugs accept of the Datsun variety it is like a drug

I got another 72 510 around 2006 and the obsession started all over.  Buy a whole car for a few select parts then re sell the car or part it out.

my dad gave me a rotted out 72 240z and I parted it out, sales went pretty good so I bought another ratty POS Z  car and parted it too

so now I keep doing it to support more datsuns and fixing up the ones I keep.

so far the keepers are a

68 510 2 door

73 1200 coupe

69 1600 roadster

and alot of z cars for parts to support my DATSUN ADDICTION I also sell some 1200 parts and an occasional oddball 210 truck or whatever I can do to make a small proffitt and buy more

I also work my ass off at a full time job to pay the bills and such but the parts add extra income to buy more datsuns

Don't smoke, don't drink much, bought a house that mortgage payment is only 20% of our income, wife works full time, haven't had a car payment in 13 years. No cable T.V, don't go out to movies, don't eat out to often. We save 20% of our income annually.

I take R.O.P classes to learn new skills. Electrical, welding/fabrication, building construction,plumbing etc .. Highly recommend the R.O.P classes in San Diego.. I spend money on my pets and my Datsuns..

Rex

• Like 1

I work as a DMO at the country club and a prep cook. I spend all money on gas for my datsun, at car wash for the datsun, or making the datsun look, or perform better. thanks RATSUN!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :fu:

Work full time, bike to and from job, eat sack lunches, don't eat out, no cable or satellite TV.  My wife and I try to split our hobby money.  Parted my first car recently to try and make a little extra for my 510.  Just like datrod though, having 3 cars doesn't help even if one of mine has basically been done for two years now.

I am fortunate in that I have good paying job that is fun and challenging. It helps to buy stuff for the Dattos as well as for my girl. She doesn't really get it, but she is supportive anyway.

I also sell KA mounts for 620s, so buy some from me so I can get a new rear axle for my 4x4 620. :D

As far as justifying, I enjoy working on stuff, if it wasn't Datsuns it would be something else.

Your Datsun is a him? I love it.

Haha! Yeah every vehicle I've ever owned has been a him. The 210 is Stanley. The Pathfinder is Thadeus. The first day my dad brought home the 210 I looked at it and said yeah, that's Stanley. Even got everyone I know calling him Stanley. He's like my son. Love that car :)

colourbox your 210 looks amazing and super clean . your emblem skills are good and when you couldnt find the parts you said  dammitt I will make them myself, I love it

+1

Thanks guys! Took 8 months of boneyard searches to find stuff. Some other stuff I got from my ratsun brethren and yeah, like Ranman said, I made my own stuff if I couldn't find it. I grew up in Datsuns. All my dad would ever buy. I learned to drive in '69 510 manual. They are timeless.

• Like 2

My wife and I have determined that my Datsun habit is my therapy, and its cheaper and easier than a mistress (she agrees with this also). I am fortunate enough to have a decent job that affords me some extra Datto Dollars.  We have no car payment, I take my lunch to work, I don't ride my bike to work because I smoke, and yes I do drink just a wee bit.

This is kinda like AA for Datsun owners B)

Parted out 510s for a few years. Sold weatherstripping for a few more

Showed up to swapmeets with boxes and boxes... It was fun but wasnt very cost effective after awhile.

These days I just save as much as possible. This is def the best 510 ive had by far and I still have a lot to do.

FC27CA8E-6810-4401-AD7A-D5837B6CCF52-301

It also helps to only have one Datsun now.

• Like 1