GOONS check in

gokiburix

Hey everyone! At the prompting of BRE510 -- he and I go waaay back -- I check in with my goon. She's a '72 with 80,000 original miles, stock L16, stock 4speed. I got her 6 years ago in Seattle. Flew up there one Saturday and drove 800+ miles home to Salt Lake. No problems, even got about 30 MPG!

I put in a StreetBeat rag top and had the aging vinyl top redone. I lowered the suspension with shortened strut towers and Ground Control/Eibach springs and 3" blocks in the back. Well, it wasn't low enough so I fabricated a new top strut mount, new front leaf spring perch and had the rear leafs dearched. Then I cut a big hole in the interior, raised the driveshaft tunnel and put it all back together. With the seat and carpet back in it appears stock yet when the air shocks are on empty, the axle rests on the rear subframe. My plans are to replace the air shocks with bags eventually to help with the ride and bottoming but all in all it handles and rides well at this height.

Wheels are ebay specials Infinity M30 with the center cap removed. These wheels are the perfect offset and tuck nicely at all four corners with no spacers or adapters. So far, I haven't found other wheels that fit this well.

Not a ton of Datsuns in Utah but I did just get word of the "Utah Import Meet" this weekend. Maybe I'll crash their late model party and see what kind of interest I can generate...

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

dat12.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

Some more shots here: http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr265/99datsun510/

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dude that wagon is sick!!! This is my favorite shot :D

dat2.jpg

I did the same thing to a buddy of mines goon. I didn't do that nice of a job though, It actually got in a wreck about a year ago :( He still drives it but one of the rear doors is smashed shut :( Did you cut the peanut shaped bump stop holder off? I did, it was worth about another half inch of travel. His car rides sweet at that height to!!!

IMG00182-1.JPG.jpg

Ok.. Don't have more pics yet... I'll try to get them soon..

However, I actually drove the car for the first time Sunday since I took it all apart 2 years and 3 months ago...

I'll try to get a vid of it running (only have a 3' section of exhaust on it at the moment :D )

Greengoon what a clean wagon!!!! & its green...like mine :D Do you have any pics of it w/ just the 3 inch block? Rims & top are different & are a nice touch too.

Pac- Thanks for the comments. We do share a unique color. I don't think I've seen more than 3 or 4 of this green including yours (none as clean as yours) and I think I've only seen a handful of factory vinyl tops on wagoons. I was stoked when I saw your thread, you got a great deal! I'll keep an eye on the progress.

Here are a few pics with the 3" blocks before I cut it up. I have the Infinity caps as well. This was back before the minivan backed into me (worst day of my life...story for another time)

6.jpg

4.jpg

By the way, I have a roof rack in storage if you are still in need of one. Came with the car (not on it). I love the racks but i have too much going on on my roof already.

Thanks for the love. Yeah got a great deal & she runs very well. The rims are 15's right? & did you ever have issues with the driveshaft hitting the tunnel w/ the 3 inch blocks installed? Id love a roof rack for mine..the part that freaks me out is drilling into a ding free roof / having to drop the headliner possibly to tighten the bolts-nuts. PM me with a price if you like :D

Dude that wagon is sick!!! This is my favorite shot :D

dat2.jpg

I did the same thing to a buddy of mines goon. I didn't do that nice of a job though, It actually got in a wreck about a year ago :( He still drives it but one of the rear doors is smashed shut :( Did you cut the peanut shaped bump stop holder off? I did, it was worth about another half inch of travel. His car rides sweet at that height to!!!

IMG00182-1.JPG.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I did take everything out, short of cutting into the subframe and then added a little disc bump stop. It still bottoms if I carry any weight but it's well worth it. I see you're a big fan of slammed on stock rims so I dug up a better angle without my dog in it. I like that look too. I go back and forth between the whitewalls and the low pros.

dat1.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I did take everything out, short of cutting into the subframe and then added a little disc bump stop. It still bottoms if I carry any weight but it's well worth it. I see you're a big fan of slammed on stock rims so I dug up a better angle without my dog in it. I like that look too. I go back and forth between the whitewalls and the low pros.

dat1.jpg

Yes I have a hubcap problem :D I do like rims, but no one goes low enough for them IMO. To me there is nothing better than a stock rig slammed with the original caps. I would have caps on my SR car if they would fit... Stupid bigger brakes... I also wish all my rigs were lower!! As of now I don't have the time to build any of my cars exactly how I would want them, if you know what I mean :D

O.K. guys the red goon is done. All I have left to do is block the rear, get my registration done, Wax it and off to jccs. It's pretty clean, I'm really happy with the look. I'm running 17" wheels but lookin for something more JDM. :cool:

You Goon guys are makin' me green with envy...:lol:...

I am seriously considering picking one up really soon, the one I have in mind has been in a field for years..ran when parked...straight though...clean light blue 71. IDK if I have the time, but I sure would love to drive one around.:blink: