pic of your truck

Icehouse

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can go about 40 miles per charge...charges in about six hours from 55% battery capacity to 95-98%. I never let the lead-acid battery pack fall to below about 45% capacity. Charges from a 110V AC household outlet. Fast too--up to 70 mph easily. Clutchless four-speed. Can burn rubber in 1st, so acceleration isn't glacial whatsoever, even tho' the unit now is about 700 lbs. heavier than a stock era King Cab. The excess weight is handled by extra leaf springs in the back, and beefed up bearings on all four wheels, and the tires are low-rolling resistance substitutes. A kid can push this two-ton truck on level ground easily.

Dashboard guages have been reconfigured to reflect an electric vehicle; actual motor RPM's, an amp meter that runs similar to a vacuum guage on a big rig, direct-from-wheel speedometer/odometer, and e-meter. An accessory 12v battery hooked to the main charging system runs the lights, heater, sound system, etc.

"I'm not a big fan of country music, but I would never denegrate those who are. And for those of you who do like country music 'denegrate' means 'to put down'". - Bob Newhart

Edited by mellotrongirl

so what does it cost toi charge it from 50ish percent up to that 95-98 percent.

it seems like it would cost more to charge it and drive it then to just put gas in it.

I can see how the earth is being saved, but not using a truck reasonably. 40 miles isnt very far.

Will it haul a good half ton load that far? (and dont think im being mr negative, i like it!) :D

No way, it prob cost like under a dollar to charge it from 0 let alone never going below 45%.

Your probly right, i just dont know is why i ask. theres a few batteries in there under that bed. I would think it would be hard to calculate how much it uses to charge the batteries off just a power bill. I think it would have to be tested to see how much power it consumes and then figure out what the going rate for electricity is in their area and then figure it out.

i know in Graham WA, my electricity bill was out of this world. but over in Kennewick WA where they have wind mills, its dirt cheap...

I figure it costs about 35-40 cents to go 40 miles at *current* electric rates in NE Oregon. I'm just south of all those windmills in the hills behind Kennewick. We've got lots of them in the SW foothils of the Wallowa Mountains, too.

thats pretty cheap :D

Thanks for the info

I figure it costs about 35-40 cents to go 40 miles at *current* electric rates in NE Oregon. I'm just south of all those windmills in the hills behind Kennewick. We've got lots of them in the SW foothils of the Wallowa Mountains, too.

One time I put 1,980 lbs of gravel into my other king cab & drove it four miles...kept it below 30 mph...at the time the tires were new. No problem, and this EV could do the same. One of my other Datsuns is a '77 longbed...that's my reliable long-distance runner. Other trucks I've got are a 1971 521 and a '74 620. Both of these aren't running, but are solid straight trucks with carb and radiator problems. I really love the '79 KingCab 5-speed (the gravel hauler). Drives like a car and gets 33 mpg. My dream Datsun PU tho' would be a 1960 320 like that nice bright red one that's in the middle of the Willamette Valley (western Oregon) somewhere. I'm seriously thinking of coverting the 521 to electric, tho' with EWID litium iron phosphate batteries. Maybe a backup solar panel on a ladder rack...mid-summer at this lattitude a 4 by 8 foot panel should charge the batteries at the equivalent of three miles for each hour under direct sunlight. Since I'm a gardener and all my jobs are real close, range really isn't the setback with this particular unit.

Zillas are the pinnacle EV charger so I'm told--I hear production of these bulletproof boxes is a bit behind demand I'm afraid! I'm totally happy with the Manzanita Micro PFC-20 in my system, tho'

Edited by mellotrongirl

Even the airdam below the front bumper looks perfect--a rare sight for any 620. 37K?!?? Good going! My granny tried to give me a '62 Corvair with about 27K. Original owner...and she never changed the oil. Just added when it got low. The consistancy of black enamel paint.

I've compromised every airdam on every ride I ever owned by parking too close to steep curbs (in my town it's all the more challenging with diagonal parking on crowned streets)...at the very least scraped the towhooks.

Hows the bed? Any rust? Was it in a barn or out of the weather all this time on the farm? What's the story behind the faded door, hood?

Edited by mellotrongirl

my grandpa bought it from his neighbor 15 years ago an he drove it to the golf course a couple times a week in the summer an i took it out deer hunting in the fall an it sat in the barn till the snow cleared up in the spring the body has a few dings an dents in it i buffed an waxed it now the door an the hood are the same color just 30 years of crap on it, there is no rust on the under side of it a little rust on the body where the paint was scraped off from hittin stuff but its pretty clean, the farm got sold my grandpa told me if i hauled it home it was mine

updated pics de hooked it and removed the huge rear bumper IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Almost time to re rattle can it and maybe fill some of the holes in the doors and on the floors. And Paint the Bed floor. Will post up some more new pics soon. Trying to sell it but I am having second thoughts especially since no one wants to give me anything decent for it.

Wanted a LongBed for a work truck. Got this gem rite down the road for a small fee. Put a motor in it and threw some slots on now all I need is a sweet cassette player:D

LongBed012.jpg[/img]

LongBed014.jpg[/img]

LongBed015.jpg[/img]