mklotz70 1969 wgn

mklotz70

Good thing you went with steel blocks. I had cast alum. blocks the first go-around, and BOTH ended up cracking in less than a few months. I've been running steel blocks now for a while, and no issues.... And de-arched springs....

I see your 'goon and think "Gee, that's a totally PRACTICAL height to have it at! WTF am I thinking?"

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my last wgn with 2" and liked it. I know a local guy that went with 3"....I didn't like the ride....with him and I in it...it was pretty much on the bumpstops the whole time.

I would have preferred to use something that wasn't solid, but oh well...I guess I can hammer on it now :)

Didn't have time to post these last time. I have a diff hood I'm going to swap on, but I'll have to see if I have an extra front trim piece to put on here in the meanwhile :)

I don't have a complete set of '69 marker lights.....guess it's a good thing I wasn't planning on runing them! I think I'll swap out the fenders for some '70 series and mod those instead of these :)

100_5133.jpg

100_5135.jpg

100_5136.jpg

Buff out?? But I already buffed it with a brick! :) That fender will go bye-bye. The wgn makes a nice yard ornament.....I need a travelocity gnome to sit on the steering wheel! :) .....hhmm....people might think it's me!

Everytime I look at it now, I keep thinking that it really needs to have the back tires spaced out about an inch!! I'll have to check the longer studs I have and see how much spacer I can use with them. Then....I'll have an excuse to use the bolt circle function on the mill!! :)

• 3 months later...

I DROVE IT!!!! :)

Yesterday, I adjusted the toe in...was over an inch from the lowering. Did a little sneaky run around the block.

Today...Paula put some insurance on it and I took it out for another...legal this time! :)

It's backfiring through the carb....runs best with the choke near fully engaged....but dang....when it hit's it's groove....wow...so much faster than the L16!! I'll be looking to adjust the valves and rebuild the weber.....or maybe I'll just pull out the SU's and see about putting those on :) They're supposed to make it go faster than the weber :) The dogleg is finicky about 2nd. Probably need to change out the fluid in it. The rear end seems to be leaking a bit...need to look at that. I may just put the zx trans in it right away. I just don't want to get too involved in this....I want to get Mend done, but I need to get this on the road....at least for a backup vehicle :)

After helping Skib out with his snowflakes.... I can't wait any longer to put mine on. I know a lot of guys love the red rims on the wgn, but they're going to find a new home with Driven.....making room for me to put my flakes on!!!! :) I'm chomping at the bit already!! :)

The dogleg is finicky about 2nd. Probably need to change out the fluid in it. The rear end seems to be leaking a bit...need to look at that. I may just put the zx trans in it right away. :)

Mike, we tried both dogleg trans and ZX trans on our wagon.

Dogleg has a better gear ratio combined with the diff on wagon.

ZX are a bit tall unless you have at least L20b motor

yep...it's an L20b in this wgn. I'm sure I'll have it out on the highway a few times before I make the final decision. What was the ZX's diff ratio? Which is lighter...the zx or the wgn? zx had taller tires too. I'm thinking that with SU's and the zx, it ought to sip gas on the highway and still get to the next stop light with some pep. :)

It's backfiring through the carb....runs best with the choke near fully engaged

Mike you think the main jet is plugged????

does it idle? if yes then the idle circut is OK then ck the distributor timming. Hopefully it in the middle of timming plate.

backfiring? timming dist?

I had a 510 that would run OK with the choke pulled. Find out there was a tiny rock plugging the main jet. cleaned then it was good.

It's backfiring through the carb....runs best with the choke near fully engaged

Mike you think the main jet is plugged????

does it idle? if yes then the idle circut is OK then ck the distributor timming. Hopefully it in the middle of timming plate.

backfiring? timming dist?

I had a 510 that would run OK with the choke pulled. Find out there was a tiny rock plugging the main jet. cleaned then it was good.

I wasn't thinking main jet at first, but throughout the day, I kinda figure on that. I already ordered a rebuild kit on the way home. It's been sitting for over two years, so it won't hurt. You NW guys...Knecht's is getting me the carb kit for under $25, which is the cheapest I've found yet.

Dizzy timing is right on. Vac adv seems to be working fine. If it wasn't raining, I'd probably go try to clean the main jet and run it, but...I'll probably wait 'til tomorrow to just rebuild it :) It only seems to backfire when I open the choke...so I'm thinking the mixture is just getting so lean it's exploding as it's going into the hot cylinder....???? I need to check the valve adjustment too :)

Thanks for chiming in!!! The main jet didn't occur to me until late in the day....and for as well as my two brain cells work....it may not have....glad to see you posted to make sure I was covered!! :)

Mike - It's nice to see you excited! I'm going to need to get a Goon some day. Have fun.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't own a 510 if it weren't a goon!! I'm excited....get it up and running nicely so I can sell it!!!! j/k! ....maybe... :)

• 3 weeks later...

So I reclocked the cam and did the valve adjust and the backfiring has gone away. I still have a fairly big dead spot when I give it gas, but it's driveable. I'll worry about the carb after I get some other stuff taken care of.

I've posted vids of the valve adjust and cam sprocket.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=17001

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=17004

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=17005

Another issue is that the L20b is too tall for my modified air cleaner to fit under the hood....so I modified another :) Both setups are in the same thread.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=11190

I did this mod, despite the fact that I'm going to put the SU's on. I was thinking it was a waste of time, until I realized that I'll need this air cleaner for Mend :) Win!!

• 1 month later...

I haven't gotten to play with this for awhile now. My buddy a100addict came over and helped me swap the tires onto the snowflakes so that the red rims/tires can go to Driven. The red ones look cool, but I've already got one rig that's old school....and it pulls it off better than the wgn.....plus I like the snowflakes better :)

100_1899.jpg

100_1901.jpg