mklotz70 1969 wgn

mklotz70

It is driveable, but the way the exhaust exits out the back, it sucks fumes in due to the lack of a seal. I'd rather not die. Plus, it's a royal pita to get it into second gear. Oh well, at least it looks good sitting there. :)

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would be ok if Steve bought it. ;)

LOL......yep...then he'd be stuck fixing all the broken bolts that his room mate create when taking it apart. It's fun to drive and with the 1" sway bar up front, it handles like a slot car. I need to get some more caster up front. One of these days I'll put the SU's and ZX tranny in it, fix the exhaust....yada, yada, yada....

Prob with selling it is that I'd have to get at least $1200 as it sits, but it's not enough of a driver to warrant that amount.........and that amount isn't really enough to convince me to sell it. If the weather would ever friggin' dry up, I might start driving it again....not sure where I put the wiper arms :(

First off...I blame jdm510 for this!!!! I got all worked up about driving the wgn....so I came home early from work to work on Mend.....but I thought, hey, it will only take a minute to see if I have some wiper arms. So I checked, I had them, I put them on. Then I moved all the parts out of the wgn into the shed. Took the fence down and pulled the wgn out. Figured I'd make a quick run for some wiper blades. As I was driving away, I realized that the rear end was really noisy...oops...I knew it had a bad leak and probably no fluid in it. Oh well....finished the parts run..filled it up with gas too. Jacked it up to see about swapping the gasket on the diff, since I figured that's where it was leaking. Had to pull the axles.....figured I might as well put the 3.70 gears in as long as I was pulling the diff anyway. As soon as I found out one of the axle bearings was complete toast, I should have put it back together and parked it.............buuuuuutttttt nnnoooooooooo.......I've ordered bearings, retainers, seals to fix it right. And that dang leak was caused by a missing stud! :( The gasket looked fine! The rear end should be a lot quieter when it's done!! Poor Mend!! There's more to the pics and story, but I really gotta get in bed!!

100_2799.jpg

100_2800.jpg

100_2801.jpg

100_2811.jpg

100_2813.jpg

I just assumed the rear end was the original. It's a 3.89. Some of the shield metal is missing around one of the backing plates, so I may just pull the spare rear end apart if it has better backing plates. re-doing the rear end really adds to the piece of mind when putting a wgn into daily use :)

I kinda feel guilty for taking time away from Mend, but I get a lot more time in the shop than most guys. Most guys have a lot more "life" taking up their time.....so I'll just chock this up to "life" time. Same thing as if I were working on one of the other daily drivers :)

These are too long and they're 1/4"x20. A finer thread pitch will resist loosening better. They did have nylocs on them, but I'll replace them with M8x25x1.25's.

100_2802.jpg

Had a mother of a time getting this dang plug out. I put teflon tape on it so I won't have that problem next time!

100_2803.jpg

Drums didn't want to come off. Pulled on the edge and tapped the axle. Turned, repeated. They came right off.

100_2804.jpg

100_2805.jpg

Disconnected the E-brake, brake line and axle retaining bolts.

100_2807.jpg

100_2809.jpg

Might as well pull the seals, I'm not putting it back together without new ones. I bagged the end of the axle tubes in case it rains. Yes, the diff is out and it's open anyway, but there's no way rain is getting that far under the car.

100_2817.jpg

100_2819.jpg

Put the axle in the press and put some pressure on it. Applied heat...didn't budge. I think that could have been the bearing holding things up....I put enough heat on it for the retainer to pop...so I sharpened up a cold chisel and took a few whacks! I ended up using a cut off wheel to cut nearly all the way through. Then hit it with the chisel again and the retainer did come loose. No luck on the bearing yet.

100_2821.jpg

100_2822.jpg

100_2823.jpg

100_2824.jpg

Hey Mike, my brother was over at my house last night so we could do a little front end work on his 521. I was commenting to him about how spoiled we are. "Screw that hand tools and jack stand, single-car garage bullshit!"

You, sir, are a bad-ass!:thumbup: Glad to see the wagon getting some love. You have to at least hold on to it until the Fairlane is road worthy.

Hey Mike. I got that rear end from Doug V. I'm not sure about the missing bolt on the center section. I put new shoes, cylinders and hardware in it when I installed the diff. It howled and wasn't driven long before I put the engine/trans in my old 2 door.

ah ha,,, he tossed the price out there....well if steve gets it ill be gettn passed buy a wagon with slodat on the plates :( .....it never ends..

...uummm....yeah....the offer is actually a good bit more than what I threw out there....so we'll see what happens :)

Good progress!I would like to get some highway gears for my goon one day...:(

This diff is out of a 720. I got if from yello620. He thought they were too much gear, but he had them in his truck which had taller tires. I'm thinking I'll put the ZX trans in (.75 OD?) and a set of SU's....that ought to make for decent mileage on the highway :)

Hey Mike, my brother was over at my house last night so we could do a little front end work on his 521. I was commenting to him about how spoiled we are. "Screw that hand tools and jack stand, single-car garage bullshit!"You, sir, are a bad-ass!:thumbup: Glad to see the wagon getting some love. You have to at least hold on to it until the Fairlane is road worthy.

you're just lucky your on the far side of town!! I'd either get rack time or you'd be cleanin' up egg every week!! LOL!!! j/k! I wish I had a better setup!! I still have a lot more than a lot of guys....so I guess I won't bitch too loudly :) Yep...hoping to make this my parts chaser while I'm working on the Fairlane.

2eDeYe' date='08 April 2010 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1270737845' post='289586']

Man thats a good looking goon. :D

Thanks :) For some reason, it looks even lower when I'm in it. :blink:

Hey Mike. I got that rear end from Doug V. I'm not sure about the missing bolt on the center section. I put new shoes, cylinders and hardware in it when I installed the diff. It howled and wasn't driven long before I put the engine/trans in my old 2 door.

As long as the axle diameters are the same, I guess it doesn't really matter. The axle bearing is so loud, there's no way of knowing just how much noise, if any, the diff is making. I'm going to do the spider gear swap and put the truck spiders in the 3.89 so it will be ready to go in Mend.

So, Knecht's got me the seals and bearings, but nobody has the retainer. I've already got them on order with Rockauto.....but who knows when they will show up. The dealer can get them here by saturday.....tempting, but they're $20ea instead of the $4.62 at RA. I wish I knew how soon RA will have them here. They sent an email saying they're shipped, but there's no tracking info yet.

....hhhmmm....this is why I don't typically dive into things like this.....now it's stuck in my driveway for who-knows-how-long! :(

Drums didn't want to come off. Pulled on the edge and tapped the axle. Turned, repeated. They came right off.

Dude, you know you are making me cry with that statement right! I put my HD drop forged hub puller to work on the '59. Two MAP torches and the BFH, and still NADA!!!!! AAARGH!

Mmmm I love the finned drums!

....hhhmmm....this is why I don't typically dive into things like this.....now it's stuck in my driveway for who-knows-how-long! :(

im sorry mike it will be worth the wait trust me.. that wagon is awesome you will have so much more joy then it sitting in the back yard!!!!

The new bearings are about .080" too small. Called Doug, he thought it was a '71-72 wgn rearend. Looked up the bearings for that year....same as what I got. WTF??!!! Have I ever mentioned how much I hate working on cars?!! So, I basically get to start over with ordering parts again.....although I've already laid out nearly $150. Needless to say, I'm more than a bit irritated! I should have just left the damn thing parked!

I think I just figured it out.....Knecht's gave me sedan bearings! :( They still can't get the retainers....so I still have to figure out something for that, or just wait for the RA order. I still hate working on cars!! :)