mklotz70 1969 wgn

mklotz70

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Holy cow was this thread buried in my list of threads I've started! It's been a year and a half since I've done anything to this rig?? It's been really bugging my lately that I haven't been able to drive it.........thanks to the Goon thread!!! I love goons even more than my NL.......anyway... :)

Been stress a bit more than usual lately. Got to thinking about everything hanging over my head and I realized that it's all for other people!! So I said to heck with it and pulled my wgn in for a couple of days. I want to get the seats installed and the doors swapped out (these front doors are going bye bye :))

The camera has been giving me a bit of grief so there aren't as many pics, but doing another how-to right now makes this project for other people once again......so I'm simply going to concern myself with what I need for now :)

I got these seats off somebody at the wilsonville swap meet a couple of years ago. No clue what they're out of, but they're really comfy and the seat tracks line up so nicely it isn't funny!!!! :)

100_3861.jpg

100_3870.jpg

100_3871.jpg

100_3873.jpg

100_3876.jpg

100_3884.jpg

100_3886.jpg

100_3912.jpg

100_3935.jpg

100_3940.jpg

Cool, I didn't even know you had a wagon Mike.

Welcome to the goon squad:D

I think I made one post quite awhile ago on that thread...just so I'd be subscribed to it. I almost get irritated when I see all the progress everyone else is making with theirs! :( My love of goons is why I jumped at the idea of trading the NL for the 312 wgn that came up. The NL is cool, but if it was a wgn, I'd be driving the hell out of it. :) My first car was a '63 Scout...kind of a mini wgn. My second was a '67 country sedan....not sure why, just always been a goon lover!!! Even the butt ugly ones....I'd even consider a 411 if it was a wgn. I have no desire to own a 510 sedan....it's either a wgn or nothing :)

Take care of yourself buddy!!

I noticed the regular white OR license plates. When I had it, it had the old yellow plates.. I know they went with the car...

They should still be around. That's the plate off the red wgn in the backyard that got cut up last year.

I think it's about time to go play!! :)

I just ran through your thread for the first time. I now have the wheels in your first pics. Is that the rear hatch on Addict's red wagon now? Is nothing sacred? There's so much swapping going on - I'm afraid I might contract some sort of wagon VD.:lol: Is it going to Canby? You bring yours and I'll bring mine.

Yep, it is! Plans are for my wgn to contract VG...not VD :) No...it's not coming to Canby. It won't even be on the road by then. I need to get Mend back to driveable, then I can think about it.

Nope...I think I sold that or gave it away to someone at the Tues night mtg in Vanc. This is a different wgn anyway. The last one('72) got traded to A100addict since it had an auto in it.....so his daughter could drive it. I preferred the '69 dash a lot more. This one has an L20 and a dogleg...I've thought about putting an auto in it.....but I don't think it will get one until the vg/auto goes in.

Hi Mike,

Glad to see you working on your wagon. I didn't know you had one either. I've been following your thread on Mend. My first project was my 521, and several things you were working on were things I was working on at the same time( I was tearing apart and cleaning up my heater about the same time you were).

Now that I've got a wagon, it's nice to know I might get some good ideas for that too:D I really like them for all the reasons you mentioned. I personally even prefer the looks over the sedans:eek:, and I love driving this thing every day. I'd suggest just getting yours on the road, and enjoy driving it. I think you'll like it.

Anyway, don't take pictures at the cost of getting anything done, but if it's handy, I sure learn a lot from seeing the stuff you do.

Cool to see you are working on the wagon, I've learned so much from your NL posts, I'm sure I'll pick something up from your wagon thread!

I drug my wagon out today and will be putting it together with whatever is stashed in the back. I'll be angering some with my plans for the '69 but it's something I've been gathering parts for for a few years now. Looking forward to more posts Mike!

Hi Mike,

Glad to see you working on your wagon. I didn't know you had one either. I've been following your thread on Mend. My first project was my 521, and several things you were working on were things I was working on at the same time( I was tearing apart and cleaning up my heater about the same time you were).

Now that I've got a wagon, it's nice to know I might get some good ideas for that too:D I really like them for all the reasons you mentioned. I personally even prefer the looks over the sedans:eek:, and I love driving this thing every day. I'd suggest just getting yours on the road, and enjoy driving it. I think you'll like it.

Anyway, don't take pictures at the cost of getting anything done, but if it's handy, I sure learn a lot from seeing the stuff you do.

It's kinda funny how many guys don't realize I'm a wgn guy. I guess all they've seen is the NL for the last couple of years. I daily drove my red '72 70 miles back and forth to work for nearly two years. I guess that was back when NWDE was still king of the hill. The only 510 I like the looks of other than the wgn is the coupe.....but I still prefer the NL over the coupe. :)

Cool to see you are working on the wagon, I've learned so much from your NL posts, I'm sure I'll pick something up from your wagon thread!

I drug my wagon out today and will be putting it together with whatever is stashed in the back. I'll be angering some with my plans for the '69 but it's something I've been gathering parts for for a few years now. Looking forward to more posts Mike!

PM me when you put up a thread about it. I don't get much time to check out all the new posts that keep popping up. I barely take the time to check the ones I'm subscribed to.

mike what are you doing with the doors i would like to have them since they are the ones that go with my rear doors on my car. lol dont forget to putt on the 69 door trim

I may post a bit more after I get the other pm's and such caught up....but I almost put them back on. And yes...I do have the trim!! :) I'll pm you about the doors.

I'm nodding off, but here goes. Some of you will note that I'm way past my bedtime :)

Once I cleaned the extra junk off the brackets, I only had to drill a front mounting hole, then put them back on the seat. The seat has a ton of forward/back adjustment....kinda different since the one in the NL never moves :)

100_3984.jpg

100_3987.jpg

100_3992.jpg

100_3993.jpg

I got it in, then checked to see if it was centered on the steering wheel......gee.....guess I should have checked that before I tightened all the bolts!! :(

100_3994.jpg

Got them both in...figure I'll move them inboard 2" in a couple of months when I get to play with it some more. They sure are comfy!!!

100_4027.jpg

Nice dash cap....too bad it's a '68 and the '69 doesn't have the dip in the middle.

100_4009.jpg

Got the doors swapped too. I don't remember why I was so committed to swapping them....I want to say they have a good bit of bondo in them, I just don't remember. The hinges would hardly move...even after the AeroKroil :( The body lines show the door is lined up, but the top of the frame is a good bit lower. I swapped the blue one back onto the pass side.....same thing ...?????.... I'll put the green door back on tomorrow.

100_4003.jpg

100_4010.jpg

100_4021.jpg

100_4022.jpg

100_4031.jpg

And finally....here's the previous wgn :)

DCP_3971.jpg

DCP_3973.jpg

I got the door locks and ign sw swapped out to ones I have a key for...thanks slodat. I had fixed a fuel like a week or so again just so that I could start it and move it. That must have been a big part of the hard starting cause it starts right up now. With the seats in and being able to lock it now...oh..and doors that I don't have to fight to open/close.....it almost feels like a real car now!!

So that's it for a month or so. I moved it back outside. It was fun, but I need to get back to brake kits and Mend :)

• 1 month later...

So I'm down to my last 3 days of vacation and I finally get to play a bit.

It's been driving my nuts having the wgn looking like a patchwork quilt. I like quilts...but they're supposed to look like that.....my wgn is not!! :)

So...I started by scrubbing all the moss and mold off the wgn. Etching wheel cleaner brightened up the rims a bit :) I then scrub/scuffed the entire car with scotchbright, then washed it again.

100_4801.jpg

100_4805.jpg

100_4812.jpg

My buddy dave came over and we did a quick tape job.....

100_4813.jpg

100_4814.jpg

100_4815.jpg

100_4818.jpg

I simply wanted it one color...and that's what I have. It looks soooooo much better!!!! Of course, as Dave pointed out....having it all one color really makes the problem areas stand out now! :) Oh well.....it's one color!!

100_4813.jpg

100_4814.jpg

100_4815.jpg

100_4818.jpg

100_4819.jpg

100_4820.jpg

100_4821.jpg

100_4823.jpg

100_4824.jpg

100_4826.jpg

Maybe tomorrow, I'll adjust the attitude a bit :)

I was really digging the quilt look after you cleaned it up! :lol: did you use satin/semi-flat/flat paint? can or gun? i have always wanted to paint a car in the driveway, but i never quite commit to it! cool rig, my goal car has been 510 goon for a while, but have never found a good one.

My buddy dave came over and we did a quick tape job.....

Funny how you say that "we" did a quick tape job, yet Dave appears to be doing all the work.:D

I too was liking the look after the scotch brite, but i know that it doesnt last and one color looks better.

Vacation........whats that ? :D I agree 1 color look way better. You dont have to rush & paint it anyways..and ;) i say adjust the altitude.

We've been taking 2wks off for Canby and our anniversary for several years now. This year, there was way too much work!! Oh well, at least we got the "heavy lifting" done and can take it a bit easier the rest of the summer.

I was really digging the quilt look after you cleaned it up! :lol: did you use satin/semi-flat/flat paint? can or gun? i have always wanted to paint a car in the driveway, but i never quite commit to it! cool rig, my goal car has been 510 goon for a while, but have never found a good one.

As with all the other black I've done, it's SEM Trim Black. It's a semi-gloss. Obviously, I didn't want gloss....but with flat black, the texture gets changed every time you touch it or wash it. With the semi, I can wash it or touch it up and you can't tell I did anything. I can do pieces of body work, respray the Trim Black....I don't have to rum around in primer spots. You can buy it in quarts or rattle cans. It would have been cheaper to guy a quart and spray it...ended up using almost 7 cans.....just over $70. Oh well...I'd have wanted to do bodywork first if I was going to fire up the spray gun.

Funny how you say that "we" did a quick tape job, yet Dave appears to be doing all the work.:D

I too was liking the look after the scotch brite, but i know that it doesnt last and one color looks better.

Somebody had to hold the camera :)

Feel free to scotchbrite your truck! :) lol