mklotz70 1969 wgn

mklotz70

The screwdriver points to one of the pads I put grease on. You just want a film. Too much and it might run or get on the braking surface when it's hot.

100_2986.jpg

Just for reference

100_2987.jpg

100_2988.jpg

A shot of the sledge hammer head that I used under the axle so that I could pound the bearing.

100_2989.jpg

Thought you might like this vid. It's a bit long, but oh well...it uploaded :)

th_100_5623.jpg

Putting the axle seals in. Good thing I bought extra...the spring popped out and I ended up replacing one of them. I picked a striker that was a bit bigger than th seal so that when the seal was flush, the striker would bottom out.

100_2991.jpg

100_2993.jpg

100_2994.jpg

Bad news on the 3.70 diff. The pins that hold the small bevel gears is different. The bolts are different dia/thread. Long story short....the 3.70 is not going in the wgn.

100_2995.jpg

100_2996.jpg

100_2997.jpg

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what you get when you don't read the correct manual to get your specs from. I looked at the torque specs for the H190A before tightening the bolts holding the ring gear...98-112ft-lb. I kept telling Greg that it felt like the bolt was giving.....so we pulled them out. Correct spec is closer to 40ft'lb. :( I went to get another diff to pull the bolts out of, but the only one with matching bolts was a 3.89 wgn diff......so rather than mess with the bolts, I'm going to simply put it in and hope it's not noisy!!

100_2998.jpg

Diff to axle gasket. If you goop both sides, put it on really thin!!! It will pooch the gasket out.

100_2999.jpg

One of the last things for the day was to cut off most of the bump stop. My car was probably riding on that...now it will probably be too low :(

100_3001.jpg

100_3002.jpg

I fell asleep while typing this at least 3x's, so that's it for now! :)

I figure there's more guys with access to "caveman" tools than most of the others I have. There are times when it's really cool to show off what the tools can do, but in a case like this....I think it was cooler to show that it can be done without them :)

Another way to help install the locking ring is to run into the house and stuff it in the wife's oven on 400 and heat it up. The expansion from the heat will hopefully let it drop right on, if not a few girly caveman wacks and it will be seated.

Even a Benzomatic plumbers torch could be used if you're scared to use the wifey's oven.

But I do like the caveman style personally.

Maybe one of these days I'll remember that trick! I even have a toaster oven in the shop for just such a need!

The axles are in, drums back on....I'm down to brake adjustment and fluid fill/bleed. I'm ready to take a nap! :)

I figure there's more guys with access to "caveman" tools than most of the others I have. There are times when it's really cool to show off what the tools can do, but in a case like this....I think it was cooler to show that it can be done without them :)

Mike only you would think about the people that have to use rocks for hammers. :rofl:

I think it is great that you can keep your projects on the Ratsun level, it definately helps me with the limited tools that I own. :thumbup:

I have always heated them to put them back on. Just curious is that a sealed axle bearing?

Mike only you would think about the people that have to use rocks for hammers. :rofl:

:rofl: I did that one the Z the other day, My hands where full and I had to whack the wrench and couldn't reach the sludge hammer so I just bucked up this big ass rock that was next to me :P

Thanks guys. Glad you appreciate it. Now that I've recorded it this way, I'll be using the press next time!! ....or maybe do the heat way? :)

Here's a vid on checking the end play....sorry, you do pretty much need the dial indicator, but on sale at HF, the setup is about $20-25? You can probably use a caliper, but you almost need a third hand.

th_100_5624.jpg

So, I bled the brakes, mounted the tires, filled the diff and dropped it off the jack stands. The rear end seems to be pretty quite, but the rest of the car needs a lot of work. So, I'm not sure how much I'll drive it, but it is available to run errands :)

I taped up all the holes....still sucks exh in when the window is open :( Took it out for a drive....cutting down the center bumpstop now allows the right rear to travel further which allows the tire to hit the fender lip. I need to roll all the fenders since the front left and right rear are atarting to damage the tires :( ...and they're nearly new tires! I guess it will just sit for awhile. Okay...onetime deal....good until I go to bed.....$3000 gets all my 510 stuff! Wgn as it is, ZX trans, 280zx parts for the front, 200sx VG/auto setup, and literally....a ton of other parts. :) I'm sure I'll change my mind by the time I wake up! ....and no, I'm not separating or holding or shipping anything :)

Okay...onetime deal....good until I go to bed.....$3000 gets all my 510 stuff! Wgn as it is, ZX trans, 280zx parts for the front, 200sx VG/auto setup, and literally....a ton of other parts. :) I'm sure I'll change my mind by the time I wake up! ....and no, I'm not separating or holding or shipping anything :)

$2975 :D

• 2 weeks later...

Since I'd like to drive this dang thing....I committed the time to rolling the fender lips. Pics aren't great, but I think you can see that they are flat up against the sides now. I used a plastic headed hammer and simply tapped back and forth around the area I wanted folded over. It won't necessarily stop all rubbing, but it means there's no longer a sharp lip of sheet metal trying to slice the tires.

100_3096.jpg

100_3100.jpg

100_3106.jpg

The whole reason I got the HF aluminum jack for my bday!

100_3115.jpg

Turns out that the really bad noise wasn't the tires rubbing. By cutting off the diff snubber, it allowed the u-joint to hit the bolt holding the snubber and the drive shaft to rub on the floorboard! :( Oops!!

100_3116.jpg

Solution....grab a spare pair of bumpstops and put them back on!! Yea!!! No bad noise anymore!!!!

100_3118.jpg

100_3122.jpg

100_3123.jpg

100_3124.jpg

In an effort to determine for sure that the exhaust in the cabin was being caused by the muffler pointing out the back....I cut off the muffler(only running resonator now...small glass pack) and ran it out the side. At least it's not as loud as the short exhaust I had on the red wagon years ago!! Without the support of the muffler hanger, the exh moved alot...so I added another support...sweet!!! No banging!!

100_3117.jpg

th_100_3113.jpg

Surprising just how much of a difference it makes just putting the center caps back on!!

100_3125.jpg

I'm going to drive it for a few days before making the final decision, but I'm seriously leaning toward making someone a package deal on everything(except the vg setup). The running/driving wgn, ZX trans, SU carb setup, spare hood, fenders, patch panels, rims, 280zx brake/strut setup....and lot's of other parts. I'd love to get $3000, but I'd be happy with $2500. I'm not looking to give up on Datsuns....this is more of a "one step back so I can get a running start at some of the other stuff I want to do". Is that price ridiculous? Anything lower, I might as well sell everything separately :)

First off...I blame jdm510 for this!!!! I got all worked up about driving the wgn....so I came home early from work to work on Mend.....but I thought, hey, it will only take a minute to see if I have some wiper arms. So I checked, I had them, I put them on. Then I moved all the parts out of the wgn into the shed. Took the fence down and pulled the wgn out. Figured I'd make a quick run for some wiper blades. As I was driving away, I realized that the rear end was really noisy...oops...I knew it had a bad leak and probably no fluid in it. Oh well....finished the parts run..filled it up with gas too. Jacked it up to see about swapping the gasket on the diff, since I figured that's where it was leaking. Had to pull the axles.....figured I might as well put the 3.70 gears in as long as I was pulling the diff anyway. As soon as I found out one of the axle bearings was complete toast, I should have put it back together and parked it.............buuuuuutttttt nnnoooooooooo.......I've ordered bearings, retainers, seals to fix it right. And that dang leak was caused by a missing stud! :( The gasket looked fine! The rear end should be a lot quieter when it's done!! Poor Mend!! There's more to the pics and story, but I really gotta get in bed!!

Damn! All that work done after work? I'm happy I got the wheels off the roadster and figured out some weird PO wiring tricks on the 411. I am so lame. :o

Of course, no room in the enclosed one-car carport/garage. Roadster down and around under the deck, 411 jacked up on the 30-degree slope driveway.

...and no parts cleaner, blast cabinet, press, welder, lathe, overhead crane, etc, etc.... :lol:

May be a little late but I found out a 3:70 rear diff out of a late 70s automatic 810 wagon (round headlight one?) is a bolt in for a goon, its an iron case too. Its a nice driving ratio with my L20/dogleg and I can actually carry on a conversation at freeway speeds... I dont have a speedo or a tach so I cant give specifics but it scoots right along in 5th.

LOL!! Pete....you're too funny!! Actually...I was off yesterday, so it wasn't all done after work. Once you put your wheels back on, no one will know you didn't clean it all up and paint it if you don't tell them :)

Mike...great info on the 810 diff. I'd probably pursue it, but I have a .74 overdrive ZX trans to go in it.....or with it if/when I sell it. The dogleg that's in it doesn't like to go into 2nd gear.

I actually drove it to work today. For the next 4 days, Paula will be driving, so the wgn will just sit. Oh well. Boy is the exh obnoxious!! I already have the muffler, but Mend is in the shop....so that will wait. It's decent car...definitely a project, but I'm not sure my heart is in this one. If someone actually wanted to buy it, I don't think I'd have any trouble deciding to sell it :) Anyway.....

Just curious if anyone following this thread has any interest in buying this car....with...without parts. I know I haven't even made a for sale post on here yet. As much as I like to packrat parts...I'm kinda liking the idea of letting it all go at one time. :) pm me if you do :) Thanks.

My heart just isn't in this one. It would be a cool daily driver, but when I think of the work it's going to take to make it how I want it....it starts to seem more like a chore than a joy. When I think about taking road trips to other places....I keep picturing myself doing it in the Fairlane, not the 510. If I want to drive something that gets attention...I'll drive the NL. If I want to drive something to enjoy the ride...I think it will be the fairlane. There's a few other things I want to do with brake kits and parts I want to make/sell....I'm looking at the sale of this car as one step back so I can get a running start at the other stuff. I know I'll regret selling it, but that will be offset some by the relief I'll feel having a major project off my plate. :) If I drove it everyday like I did my first one....I'm sure I'd feel differently. I hardly drive at all anymore since my wife and I work together 4 days of the week. I drove the other one 70 miles/day, 5 days a week on twisty, winding roads. I started to enjoy driving again. :)