Save a 510 From Death [2 door edition]

AtomChurch

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where would you cut down the quarter? or would you replace the whole quarter? Yyeah my support piece came from a 4 door so that gave me a limited amount of quarter to work with. What I ended up doing was replacing the trunk pan where is was spot welded in along the frame support and the rear window area and then straight under the pillar vents where they are spot welded in as well. The only area that didnt get welded where a factory seem was is the quarters, and I am curious to know where would weld it to make it nicer to finish the body work next time [if there is a next time] just to make it easier on my self or anyone attempting to do it. haha

believe it or not it gets easier every one you do. "the first cuts the hardest". open the door make a line across the car from right to left. that will be the 3rd cut make a line through the b pillar in the middle of window. extend the line through the rear pillar. so 3 cuts and you are left with half of the floor and the roof. on a 2 door the cut will be under the front seats. on a wagon or 4 door behind the front seats. does that make sense? basically you are only having the do finish bodywork in the pillars and the rockers. it is easier than trying to match a bodyline in the middle of a fenderwell . also never cut across the roof!!! the amount of skill to weld a roof without warping and causing more work for yourself is out of most peoples reach. including mine.

believe it or not it gets easier every one you do. "the first cuts the hardest". open the door make a line across the car from right to left. that will be the 3rd cut make a line through the b pillar in the middle of window. extend the line through the rear pillar. so 3 cuts and you are left with half of the floor and the roof. on a 2 door the cut will be under the front seats. on a wagon or 4 door behind the front seats. does that make sense? basically you are only having the do finish bodywork in the pillars and the rockers. it is easier than trying to match a bodyline in the middle of a fenderwell . also never cut across the roof!!! the amount of skill to weld a roof without warping and causing more work for yourself is out of most peoples reach. including mine.

That's a great idea if your donor car is a 2 door. But in this case, he only had a 4 door donor car. Yes that side welding and filler work was a bitch

That's a great idea if your donor car is a 2 door. But in this case, he only had a 4 door donor car. Yes that side welding and filler work was a bitch

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of work.

And staying up late.

Quarters suck. haha

. how hard was it to mount the intake manifold with the motor in the car???

.... .. and where are the fuel lines going??? .. .. . no kinks?

It was easy to install the intake with the motor in. I assembled both halves together in the engine bay. As your the fuel lines there is no kinks at all and I hid them through the intake. It makes the engine look a lot cleaner.

When I got this motor it was more then a year ago. I fully rebuilt it and got the harness from the guy I got the motor from. He gave me a 95 harness, and 95 ecu. But its a 91 motor. I didn't bother to check the harness out since I saw the motor in his car. When I put the motor in and went to wire it up I realized that The dist and coil were 91 and the harness had the plug for and internal coil. With a bit of research I managed to get the wiring sorted out and changed from the 95 internal coil to a 91 external. I am running the 95 ecu and harness until I get my hands on a 91 ecu/harness and then I think I might use the knowledge I gained from this misfortune to run a 95 dist so i wont have to have a external coil.

Here are some pictures. I have the wiring written down in a book. Its pretty straight forward though if you can read a wiring diagram/ecu pinout and can trace some wires.

_MG_9563-1.jpg

_MG_9561-1.jpg

_MG_9562.jpg

_MG_9565-1.jpg

_MG_9566.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Atom looks soo happy driving his car! It sounds good too, still loud i can hear it all the way out to the hwy.

lol my car is the same way unless i come in "ninja style" (shutting the car off a block away)