Save a 510 From Death [2 door edition]

AtomChurch

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be out in January, so I am hope-in to get up that way. One week isn't enough time to visit everyone! But I'll try. Wanna say what up to you too when I can. Hopefully there will be a meet or something?

Well at the moment I live with james so if you see him there is a good chance you will see me!

• 2 weeks later...

Motor is in. Haha. Still need to find a few things I have managed to lose though.

P1010578.jpg

Shifter/Cover I made from a 521 truck cover.

P1010581.jpg

Handbrake is from a newer bmw. Sits nice and low.

P1010582.jpg

Started putting the finishing touches to the wiring. New headlamp harness is in adapted to the stock harness and ran where Its mostly hidden.

P1010583.jpg

P1010584.jpg

I second coated the cab/trunk/wheel wells areas with undercoater. I also undercoated the underneath of my entire car at the same time.

Before.

P1010586.jpg

P1010585.jpg

P1010588.jpg

P1010591.jpg

After.

P1010594.jpg

P1010595.jpg

P1010593.jpg

P1010600.jpg

P1010603.jpg

P1010611.jpg

P1010616.jpg

cant wait to see this thing in person man its a work of art i wish i could do this to my car i just dont have the skills at the moment

hey man, i bet you have the skills. you just have to get out there and do it! trust me. this is my brother, and i didnt think he would ever be able to pull it off, but look what he has done!

• 3 weeks later...

I put heat protecting insulation on the roof above the head liner. Then I began the install.

Me working on the head liner! Finished pictures will be here when its finished! haha.

It takes a lot of time just moving the edges millimeters over and also re-stretching the whole thing all the way around several times to make it fit how you want it. I was literally just walking circles around my car.

DSC03394.jpg

DSC03395.jpg

DSC03401.jpg

Thanks for sharing that Atom, always wondered how it was done (and mine is missing so I will have to do it someday!)

I could go into more detail but I was alone and didn't have a camera for the beginning portions. You want to start in the back and get the bow's up. (making sure they are in the correct order!) and pull the liner forward. When you get to the front pull it tight in the center and clip it. Then go to the back and pull it tight in the center. I finished the front and back pulling it tight to the edges of the windows. Then I pulled tight on all of the seems on both sides. After this I split the difference between the clips and kept tightening it all the way around. If there was a wrinkle in the center of the seem I would massage it to the edge and pull the slack out by re stretching the material. A lot of patience and a lot of just working at the same thing over again.

I could go into more detail but I was alone and didn't have a camera for the beginning portions. You want to start in the back and get the bow's up. (making sure they are in the correct order!) and pull the liner forward. When you get to the front pull it tight in the center and clip it. Then go to the back and pull it tight in the center. I finished the front and back pulling it tight to the edges of the windows. Then I pulled tight on all of the seems on both sides. After this I split the difference between the clips and kept tightening it all the way around. If there was a wrinkle in the center of the seem I would massage it to the edge and pull the slack out by re stretching the material. A lot of patience and a lot of just working at the same thing over again.

I am sooo loving the black headliner. I cant wait to do mine. Thanks for the tip on how to do it, I never thought it would be that hard to do but I knew it would take some time. What do you plan on using for adhesive? When I worked in a car stereo shop many moons ago, we used formica adhesive on everything cause it is super strong.