Save a 510 From Death [2 door edition]

AtomChurch

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of us run around to all the Walmarts and buy up all the Datto HotWheels......Atom rums around to all the Office Depot's buying clips.

Nice work. Was this your old one or a new one. I can't remember reading if you picked up a new one or not.

Its a new one!! Although I do miss my four door now. But this one should be better. It will be better. Mostly because I get to fix everything how I want it! haha.

Some of us run around to all the Walmarts and buy up all the Datto HotWheels......Atom rums around to all the Office Depot's buying clips.Nice work. Was this your old one or a new one. I can't remember reading if you picked up a new one or not.

I went to staples not walmart. haha. And if I counted right [which I am pretty sure I did] you need 10,000 clips! Maybe 13,000. All I know is you never actually have enough.

DSC03428.jpg

DSC03426.jpg

so what suspension are you going with? what wheels? RHD would like see those pics.;)

Its not right hand drive. 510keeper is just messing around. The heater bezel is however from a right hand drive car. I will be going with shortened 280zx struts up front and disc brakes in the rear. No rear coil overs in the immediate future but I did find some lower stiffer springs for the rear as well as hopefully building up myself a rear cross-member worthy of running on a car that rides close to the ground. There will be more info on this as things get sorted out though!

• 4 weeks later...

I am going a new direction with the dash! haha. Here are some photos!

ECU Tray.

_MG_9539.jpg

_MG_9545.jpg

_MG_9546.jpg

_MG_9547.jpg

Most all of the wiring has been hidden or removed. I think from the stock harness I have two wires left on the pass side and 4 wires on the driver side. Everything else if it was needed goes through the top of the trans tunnel behind the motor.

_MG_9541.jpg

_MG_9570.jpg

_MG_9567.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing around with a welding and a pipe cutter tonight and I made these. Because of phil demanding I shorten my struts saying "shorten your struts save the world." I decided I would just go ahead and do it.

I did a bit of research and I decided on some 89 vw inserts. Here are some photos.

The insert sitting next to the stock 280zx strut.

_MG_9614.jpg

Insert Leangth.

_MG_9617.jpg

Pipe cutting the struts shorter.

_MG_9621.jpg

Strut leangth to top of insert before shortening and re-welding the topnut section on.

_MG_9616.jpg

Top Nut portion alligned and tacked into place.

_MG_9623.jpg

Welded and shortened strut.

_MG_9635.jpg

Two finished shortend struts.

_MG_9636.jpg

I had to drill out the flat spot in the top hat so the insert would fit through, not a big deal and they fit great now. I will take some photos of them and the finished coil-over setup tomorrow.