• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The whole fam damily went to my brother's place in Ashland for X-mas this yr. The 510 has never run better, so we did some cosmetics stuff; strips, replaced the front scoop, and new 5 point harnesses.

While there, my son got to drive the 510 for the first time. He learned to dive a stick in France with a diesel Peugeot. With 3X the hp, super light flywheel, and twin plate clutch, safe to say there's no comparison, but he picked it up quick. Judging by the bug eyed look when he opened a can of wupe-ass, and repeated "WTF"!!!!, I'd say it made an indelible impression. Sharing that with him was the best gift of the yr.

striped.jpg

• Like 7
  • 3 weeks later...

Was driving the wagon and got on it on the freeway. Backed off and was cruising when suddenly the rpm's did a quick bounce and the car shook. Lucky was near home so got off the freeway and headed back and pulled the wagon in the garage. Checking stuff and could hear a whistling/whine noise and then the car died and no power and couldn't start. I could smell burning so looked and didn't see anything but suspected the fusible link so i checked it for continuity and none. I had a spare so I replaced it but when I attached the battery cable it got bright red so I disconnected the battery but too late it burned up the replacement link. I was thinking what was the issue and thought maybe my alt was bad and the whining was the final leg of it going out. I spoke to my brother who's better with electrical and he said he thought the same and said disconnect the alt and put another link in and if it doesn't blow and car starts the alt is bad. I did so and the car started. Called around and was looking to have my original rebuilt but the shop I used to deal with closed up and all other shops are far away so I called parts stores and ended up going to O'Reilly's to order one. Wasn't too expensive at 74.00 and a 15 dollar core. Took out the old one and noticed I had been missing one mount bolt so found a replacement and cleaned up the area and under the car. It came in the next day but I didn't have a car so a day later rode my bike to the store to pick it up and get a belt. Went home and had to adjust the sleeve on the mounting bracket so it can slide onto the mount and everything lined up but one thing was the body was ever so slightly bigger that it kept me from pushing it against the motor more to fit the belt so had to go back out to the store to get a longer belt. Got it installed and everything locked down, put my final spare fusible link and crossed my fingers and connected the battery and all was good. Turned on the ignition and started the car and all good! Checked charging and put load on it and all is correct.  Going to keep my old alt and get it rebuilt to keep as a spare but looking to upgrade to get rid of the fusible link so ordered and waiting on parts and my brother is going to wire it up to modernize that portion of the car. Take away from this were glad I had spare links, Links are old style but did its job but maybe time to upgraded/modernize. Should've been slick as I knew from past experience and should've bought multiple belt sizes to save me the trip and also I had been hearing the whistling noise and finally it made sense that the alternator may have been slowly failing and finally went out. Just happy the wagon is back up and running 

IMG_5050.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

E6B2F8BA-799A-433C-8DE9-B6BAD0BAB844.JPG

C907C40B-0993-4ADE-ABDA-84EEE7944D25.JPG

IMG_5009.jpg

• Like 3

Upgraded the Fusible link to a MIDI fuse (9.99 and comes with a spare fuse) and is working.  

Picked up some Scotch Brite Red (7447) to test to see if it cleans up aluminum for polishing and it helps/works. Got rid of the haziness in polishing and a more even finish. Here is a before and after pic of the wheel. Feel good about it and installed new hardware and ready for a tire.

IMG_5165.jpg

10EFFFF5-F0CB-4D53-9E5B-B21DD203D255.JPG

You'll probably never need it but a fusible link can survive many times their rating for a few seconds without 'blowing'. A fuse blows instantly.

If aluminum you've polished away the dull aluminum oxide that protects it from further 'rusting' so seal it with a good quality wax to keep out the air. 

Had a spare valve cover and wanted to try the VHT wrinkle finish paint and it works. Used a bucket with hot water and soap and water and simple green to clean. Hear a turkey fryer or propane stove with a pot of hot water works good too.  The instructions were pretty clear. Mainly clean well and scuff surface with Scotch Brite red pad and clean and spray three coats resting in between coats and then let sit at least overnight. Also put in the oven to cure but probably can use a heat lamp or heat gun. I used vaseline and old bolts to mask off highlighted areas and it worked. Did have to use a razor blade, small scraper and rag to clean up a bit. Made a small sanding block to clean off highlighted areas and polish. Here are some before and after pics.

D239441B-DBD5-4D01-BCF5-DF687E71510B.JPG

84D666FB-F951-412D-8AE2-F7B0455111B7.JPG

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_5193.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5136.jpg

• Like 2

Have this spare valve cover and cleaned it up with some Scotch Brite red and steel wool and some polish for the cap. Looking to wrinkle paint/powder coat this one and get a new decal for the cap. Told this is an early Lseries valve cover believe 68-69 510 Lseries or some have told me off a L13 motor since it has no script. Could anyone on here confirm? Tried searching but only see the one with the script that says Datsun 1600 on it.  Thanks in advance.

IMG_5216.jpg

IMG_5280.PNG

IMG_5281.PNG

IMG_5264.jpg

IMG_5265.jpg

69A46D22-E139-44EA-BE22-265156052BEA.JPG

Yes that's an early one. My '68 had that style but said DATSUN 1600. When I swapped an L20B into my 521 I swapped this 'fins to the front' cover on to replace the DATSUN OHC that was on it.

I've never seen one without script and or numbers on it. Has it been milled off? Looks like lettering outlines in the picture.

5 hours ago, benzo said:

@datzenmike Thanks for chiming in. I got it from someone who I believe had a 68 wagon and agree with you that he or someone might have machined off the script as i can kind of see the outline and never seen one without script. 

If you get a decal for the cap, make sure to install and tighten down the cap, then put the sticker on.   I slapped one on my cap off the car, and couldn't believe it actually turned out correctly.  I bought a lotto ticket that night, but I guess my luck was a one time thing only.

I usually get the big things right, and the little things usually go sideways.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Duncan said:

If you get a decal for the cap, make sure to install and tighten down the cap, then put the sticker on.   I slapped one on my cap off the car, and couldn't believe it actually turned out correctly.  I bought a lotto ticket that night, but I guess my luck was a one time thing only.

I usually get the big things right, and the little things usually go sideways.

@Duncan Haha good lookin out! Yeah that was the first thing I thought of. Hey you never know you might have got lucky and won. 

My 411 and both of my 1200's have that style of cap. Not too long ago (ok, maybe 2 years ago) they were still available through Nissan. I'll have to check and see what is in the shop as far as a part # but right now, as Dimlight would say, its butt ass butt-butt cold outside. And the wind is blowing so hard the birds are walking.