What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fixed a small oil leak,heat wrapped some stuff,also found a nail in me tire so have to go to my buddy's shop to fix it,then flew back and cleaned it. I like driving around with the cut-out open.

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q94/Butter_B1979/?action=view&current=MOV00037.flv

that a car seat :o

Guest Rick-rat

With the help of Datdoug changed out my 4.37 rear gears with a 3.88 out of a wagon, had to change out the side gears for the axles, all in all went pretty well, now when I head down south I can go faster than 65 MPH and keep up with traffic a little easier and get a little better mileage as well

Remounted the driver seat on the '76 KC. Prior owner had installed buckets out of a Chevy van or SUV, seats are in decent shape but he bolted them straight to the floor. I'm surprised it held his 400lb self, my 200lb self ended up tearing the floor out in under 6 months. I'd put reinforcing plates in but the floor still flexed too much, and eventually the seat brackets broke and the seat was just wandering around the truck, held in only on one side.

Sooo... I was going to use the buckets from my '76 parts truck, but the seats are tore to shreds, still have bits of broken glass in them and have all the cushioning of a park bench. Upon examination it looked like I could just swap the rails.

Well, they don't just swap. I had to drill new bolt holes in the Datsun rails as well as tap out the forwardmost rear bolthole (there are holes but they aren't tapped) in the seat frame. That got the rails installed. I had to get creative with the outboard mount, as the rails mounted a bit narrower than the original, but now it's mounted to the stock floor rail and not straight to the floor. Lowered the seat by 3" though, since the old Chevy rails had standoff perches. Well, it's back to standard Datsun height anyway.

That being done, tackled the fading brakes. Freed up the stuck Driver's side rear adjuster, and adjusted the brakes to spec. All 4 wheels had to be adjusted, fortunately only one adjuster was stuck. This gave a better pedal feel (no more springy sponge feeling) but the braking performance is no better- I think the front shoes are about wore out. I'd really toasted them with having nonop rear brakes PLUS a carb that wouldn't idle down, that's all fixed but time for new shoes.

AND... I spent an hour or so trying to find the source of the persistent antifreeze smell. No visible leak, but everything is wet with green liquid. Pretty sure it was the little hose that runs from the thermostat housing to the bypass rail. They ALWAYS go bad, and everything around it looks like it's been sprayed with coolant then heat-dried. Pulled the hose but it looked fine. Put it back on, refilled, and water was dripping out of that same hose. Pinhole in the MIDDLE, under the braiding. Replaced it, and I didn't smell coolant this morning.

Datsun battled with a 540 i and the Datsun lost. The Datsun lost it's bumper, front valance, fender, side marker lights, and paint down the entire lower half of its body.

Now it's owner vs. the dipshit's insurance company. Owner will be the victor in that battle.

Owner has sourced parts and will repair the Datsun before it goes into body and paint for a full makeover. Datsun and Owner are looking forward to this.

Owner recieved the western wheels for the Datsun yesterday. Also, recieved the new headlight buckets with BMW ellipsoid headlights installed as well as new chrome side mirrors.

Why the fuck am I talking in 3rd person? lol

Finally concluded the 240Z under-hood light mounting process.... :cool:

I just like the old bullet shape.

iPhone5049.jpg

iPhone5048.jpg

Datsunlight002.jpg

Datsunlight003.jpg

Also I've been messing with polishing and then tarnishing the radiator tank as well....I like a little patina on it ;)

Oh...also, the rear window washer bag from the rear window on an FJ60 LandCruiser fits EXACTLY on the mounting hooks from the old Kangaroo bag. Plus the tan and brown color scheme fits well with my whip. ;)

Oh....also wired the tach, installed the 280Z oil pressure sender and wired it to the light and the gauge as well.

Oh...also tightened to exhaust clamps in an effort to fix a rogue squeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Got an appraisal for the damage to my truck and will receive a check for $1800 to fix it. I started stripping the truck getting it ready for body and paint on Friday. I also sourced the bumper, valance and fender for the repairs.