Forum down today???

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't get on all Sunday, and it reminded me of all the extremely useful and interesting forums I have been on over the years which one fine day just disappeared forever. Tens of thousands of people actually relied on those forums to keep their lives moving by accessing information corporations either did not know, or if they knew did not want to give out. Part numbers and cross references would be just one. No matter what you'd like to think, the internet is not a reliable archive. Like any body of information you need backup in case a server implodes, some overworked forum volunteer misses a payment, a website name gets legally attacked, some critical person dies, one doesn't pay a bill, and on and on.

The typical forum is very wordy, requires a lot of scrolling, is often filled with a lot of false leads before succinct info or a solution appears, takes up a lot of data space with useless or repeatedly quoted images and photos, and is time consuming if not hard to search. I've been on a forum with 20,000 entries, which is ok if you want to read 20,000 entries, but if you did, you'd find that half the people have no idea what they are talking about, and that even the ones that do know are "too busy" and will only read a page of two before the current page, and then ask questions or make comments that have already been answered or made numerous times. So a long thread, or a huge forum, is worse, not better.

Stickies and archived condensations can concentrate useful info, and being relatively small can be archived by the site or even by forum members, but they are condensations and someone has to do the condensing. It is too much to expect forum admins to do that, they already are working overtime for members' benefit. Look 5 or 10 years ahead and you can guess the archive size of Ratsun. There's no good answer to this. The easiest answer is to ongoingly condense important info into separate documents, but that means one or more people per problem have to give the time to eliminate all the white space, jokes, personal attacks, wrong answers, and photo duplicates, and they have to know the subject to make those decisions.

An organization that loses direct touch with its information for any reason is exactly like a person with Alzheimers. I have personal experience with Alz so I don't need any lippy rejoinders about it. Organizations and forums can get Alzheimers. If you rely on Ratsun to help you with your problems, you don't want that.

• Like 4