• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

datt-halfplate.thumb.jpg.8fde8005ec59387

The half plate is mostly used on automatics so you can get at the torque converter bolts on this side, not needed on a standard flywheel. I hope you have the top half.

nah that’s all I got and all that came off my truck.  What’s the top look like?  

• Like 1

vWXXYDi.jpg

A standard engine plate is simply one piece. Just know that the transmission sits the thickness of this plate forward if missing. About 1/8 inch. The starter bolts to the transmission so the starter gear will engage the starter ring less by 1/8" and the clutch release collar will be forward by this amount and closer to the pressure plate. I'm sure it will probably work but .... Nissan must have put them there for a reason.

• Like 2

Yeah I got the full plate(s) on my L20B and L16.  You can see both of those full plates in the pics below so not sure why I had the additional half plate that was behind the flywheel but bolted to the trans.  That is unless the one on my L16 is only the top half like in Mikes picture?

l20b-clutch.jpg

l16-clutch.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 3

Ah shit the L16 is a 2 piece plate vs the 1 piece on the L20B.  That mystery is solved.  

Got my mount studs re threaded and they are good as new.  I also ordered new ones from Amazon and will compare to see if would still work.  Need to replace throw-out bearing , re-run some of the front brake lines and then hopefully get the trans installed.  Hoping to get the engine in and mated this weekend as the weather is supposed to be super nice.  Still need to refill steering box with oil as well.  

When I do mate the trans should I put a little grease on the trans shaft? I know white lithium grease on the shift fork knob/ears.   Blue loctite on the flywheel/PP bolts?   Torque for both of those sets of bolts? 

• Like 2

full plate goes on engine first  with mating 5 speed(means come from the mating 5 speed together

the half plate goes with the orginal 4 speed  but one can sneak it down bast the falywheel

the half plat don't line up with the newer 5 speed I believe so one has to use the matching plate.  Only way to get it one is take the flywheel off and DO OVER!!!!!!!!!!

As for the thread question a few lines back remember the body bolts on a early Datsun is SAE  and motor is metric.  REMEMBER THIS.  if a nut don't go on , or a bolt don't go in is most liely the casue of mismatched threads  after 73 then it was all metric.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

As for the thread question a few lines back remember the body bolts on a early Datsun is SAE  and motor is metric.  REMEMBER THIS. 

Yeah, but we're talking about a motor mount. It's right in the middle. It's a crap shoot.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Flywheel stays with the engine. Starter is bolted to the transmission which without the engine plate will be closer to the flywheel. Starter is moved about 1/8" forward.

Oh yeah. Clearly not enough coffee this morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/6/2020 at 3:44 PM, datzenmike said:

Also pack the cavity inside the collar (and the pivot ball) with thick bearing grease.

For the transmission spline, the two finger tips of the fork where they contact the collar and both ends of the slave push rod use white (lithium) chassis grease.

slogan_4_orig.jpg

this the cavity you are referring to? 

A75CAB5B-BCEF-432A-807F-16CB39487D56.jpeg

Lower your engine toward the floor until it is level with the tranny and use the dolly to move it into place.  I hope that you used a  spline tool before you tightened the pressure plate.

Yeah I used a clutch alignment tool so pretty sure the clutch is centered.  I can always take the pressure plate and clutch off to make sure but I’m pretty sure it’s ok. This is the closet I can get it.  If it’s not supposed to be this hard then maybe my pilot bushing is fucked up or the wrong id?

does the trans even reach the pilot bushing before it engages the splines? 

image.jpg