My 1971 521

d.p

15 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

you need more angle and someone under the truck to guide the transmission in and position a jack to lift trans up over the cross member.  do not try to lift it over by hand in case the chain slips and the angle changes.

Put the the chain directly into the hoist hook and also shorten the mounting of the chain to get maximum lift needed to get the motor in.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks like the same Harbor Freight crane that I have and yes you need to get the front of the truck up on jack stands far enough to get the legs of the crane under the control arms. At least that’s what I had to do with my 720. By the way, you can put the engine and trans in together. It is tight and you have to have the right angle to do it. Start by shorting the chain you have attached to the engine and attach the hook closer to the front. Once you have the engine in the air, you will need to lift the back of the trans over the rad support. Once in the engine compartment, use a floor jack to slowly maneuver the trans over the crossmember. It can be done without messing up the rad support or anything else. I know, because I’ve done it on my ‘70 521. It has an L20b with a 280z 5-speed. To give you more clearance, you could remove the balancer pulley.

• Like 3

Yeah it’s harbor freight 1 ton.  I thought about trying to weasel it in there as one but the last thing I want to do is get it stuck and have to fight it back out. I think my problem is the low ceiling.  Move the front bolt to the front fuel pump bolt hole?  Leave the back chain on the last exhaust stud? 

l20b and 280zx 5speed is what I am putting in as well.   

• Like 1

Don’t know at this point if I even want to fuck with mating the trans to the engine out of the truck.  I probably lifted the trans 50 times and jacked the engine up and down another 50 yesterday trying to get It to mate.  Chain was shorter but I found it caused the engine to lean forward and it made it a complete bitch to get level with the trans. It sucked all around. At this point I think I am just going to do them separately.  Maybe I’ll regret it though trying to do it in the truck. 

I think the mount looks like it has an angle because of the little nub on the bottom. Hard as shit to get a good picture comparing the two.  The new one is bigger that’s for sure.  

image.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

I went and bought 2 pilot bushings from Nissan and they slip right over the input shaft like butter.  So at this point just to be safe I am going to swap out the bushing that came with my clutch and install one of these Nissan ones.  The Nissan ones aren't chamfered like the one I got from the clutch kit.

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, d.p said:

I went and bought 2 pilot bushings from Nissan and they slip right over the input shaft like butter.  So at this point just to be safe I am going to swap out the bushing that came with my clutch and install one of these Nissan ones.  The Nissan ones aren't chamfered like the one I got from the clutch kit.

I had the exact same experience with the bushing that came in my Exedy kit. Went to local dealer and got a few of theirs.

• Like 2

Back at this today on tis freezing cold Saturday.  Got to replace the pilot bushing and then install the trans and drop the engine in ....hopefully.  

I did get new bumper rubbers from Jake and they are titties.  The dude does some amazing work.  Super easy to install and nice and tight.  

AA84E61E-3BC9-47D3-A541-ECD0EF1605A4.jpeg

• Like 1

I replaced the pilot bushing and now onto getting the trans in place. I put it from the pass side with just the rubber mount attached to the trans but now wondering Should I install it with both mounts on  before I stab it in?   Seems like a bitch to get the cross member mount on with the trans installed. 

• Like 1