My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone know thread and pitch of the engine mount stud? Pass side mount threads have seen better days and I’d like to match it to the driver side.   And the message I am getting is to install the trans first and then drop the engine in?  Maybe remove a torsion bar to make it easier?  Is it easier to go up from below with the trans or just drop it through the engine bay?

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

My guess is easier from below. Slide it under, then lift the tailhousing up onto the frame crossmember. Lift the bellhousing end and slide it back. Loosely install the bolts just to keep it in place, then use a jack to support it and keep it level while installing the engine.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

My guess is easier from below. Slide it under, then lift the tailhousing up onto the frame crossmember. Lift the bellhousing end and slide it back. Loosely install the bolts just to keep it in place, then use a jack to support it and keep it level while installing the engine.

Easier to mount the cross member brace/trans mount before or after installing the trans?  I also read somewhere that I should cut off the wings on the the side of the 5speed as they serve no purpose.  

5speed-wings.jpg

• Like 1

Another thing I just throught of while looking at that picture is the speedo gear is on the right side vs left side of the 4 speed.  Anyone know what cable would be long enough to work?  Read somewhere the automatic cable from a 510 is longer.  Or a cable to match the trans?  IE 79 280ZX but don't know if it will connect to my dash??

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

Another thing I just throught of while looking at that picture is the speedo gear is on the right side vs left side of the 4 speed.  Anyone know what cable would be long enough to work?  Read somewhere the automatic cable from a 510 is longer.  Or a cable to match the trans?  IE 79 280ZX but don't know if it will connect to my dash??

I've also heard you can just reroute your original cable over the transmission, but I'm not 100% sure ....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

That's what I would do... much easier by yourself... you definitely want the transmission in first if you do them seperate...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

I've also heard you can just reroute your original cable over the transmission, but I'm not 100% sure ....

I was looking at the cable the other day and it didn't look like it would reach.  

• Like 1

No matter what I have put together I have always used the original 521 speedo cable.

When I remove the engine or when I had them stumpy piece of shit dogleg 5 speeds in my original 521 work truck that I removed and put a new one in I used a strap between the torsion bars to hold the front of the transmission up, the reason I did this was because the dogleg would not come out or go up in position with the clutch cover/flywheel in position,  I would put the transmission up there as far back as I could get it(I had to twist it to get it out and back in past the torsion bars), then install the flywheel/disc/clutch cover while the strap held it up, and then I would mate the transmission to the engine, I then would remove the strap and put the exhaust back together, I have never in my entire life removed a torsion bar to get the transmission into position, but I always had to remove the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold.

I also used the strap to help keep the transmission up in position when dropping the engine in and mating it to the transmission.

• Like 1

By the way I never in my entire life tried to put a longshaft 5 speed into an original 521 under the truck with the engine in position, I do not know how hard it would be to get a long shaft in position with that non-removable cross member, others have a longshaft 5 speed in their original 521, they would know about the removal/replacement from under the truck about that combo.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

21 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

19 minutes ago, d.p said:

I was looking at the cable the other day and it didn't look like it would reach.  

I had the same short speedo on the driver's side 4 speed in my 710. I put a long 71B in and un-clipped the original cable from the car under side and pulled it up into the engine compartment. I then pushed it down behind the head, diagonally over the top of the 5 speed and into the speedometer pinion. There's just enough and it works.

12 minutes ago, wayno said:

By the way I never in my entire life tried to put a longshaft 5 speed into an original 521 under the truck with the engine in position, I do not know how hard it would be to get a long shaft in position with that non-removable cross member, others have a longshaft 5 speed in their original 521, they would know about the removal/replacement from under the truck about that combo.

I would agree, impossible even though I have never tried.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, wayno said:

I know getting the original 4spd out and the stumpy in it was tight.... the 4spd was easier because the little shifter ear could lay sideways so you could push the transmission back over that crossmember.... the 71b shifter doesnt lay over , the shaft at the end of the transmission just barely hit the clutch pressure plate.... I had to put the shifter half up into the cab to get the front to clear the clutch.... I imagine the long tail would be fun trying to get it installed with the engine in place.. .

• Like 1
Just now, wayno said:

Say what now?  We are talking about putting the trans in first then dropping the engine in.  You bring up a good point?  has anyone made a removable cross member for a 521?  

4 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Looks can be deceiving...

Guess I will find out soon enough.  I am waiting for trans clutch fork rubber boot to show up then I will drop the trans in.  I am also going to redo some of front brake lines because they look like shit.  Anyone know how to get a clean sharp 90 bend on a brake line?  I have a bender but its to big to do a bend right after an end so I end up with these huge bends.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You can put the boot on after the trans is in. Stop stalling.....

Lol man I have a day job and other interests, plus its cold as shit here today @35.   Supposed to be in the 60s this weekend so will be nice to work on the truck then.  

1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

I dont think anyone makes or sells a removable crossmember.... but that would be nice... 

Cutoff wheel and welder fixes that....

I have debated on doing that to my crossmember... I might this winter while I'm cutting things up....

Don't 510s have them?  If you make one make me one too my man.  Will pay good money.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wayno said:

You do not want to mess with that cross member unless you convert over to front coil overs, the torsion bars are part of that cross member.

Tanker did and so did Crash.  Can you do coilovers on the front with using stock suspension?  Meaning not having to weld anything to make them work? 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, d.p said:

Lol man I have a day job and other interests, plus its cold as shit here today @35.   Supposed to be in the 60s this weekend so will be nice to work on the truck then.  

Don't 510s have them?  If you make one make me one too my man.  Will pay good money.  

I would be using my stock crossmember and probably cut a chunk out of the middle... and then figure out how to bracket it together.... 

I'm not sure how I would make one for you.. 

I'll have to look under there again....

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, wayno said:

You do not want to mess with that cross member unless you convert over to front coil overs, the torsion bars are part of that cross member.

Wayno the torsion bar crossmember is already removable,  but there is a crossmember in front of it that is not....

20161005_164626.jpg

• Like 1