My 1971 521

d.p

@datzenmike I said that pipe won't work for me as the block vent opening is facing the fender vs the hood on the later L20Bs.  so that pipe would just end up snaking out, towards the firewall then down towards the trans on my block. The more important question is am I going to notice any difference between these two manifolds?  Because if not I will just run the one that 'fits.' 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I cant totally remember but there is 2 bolts up by the shifter that need to come out and maybe removing that trans cover its ezer to get at than from under the car.

What bolts?  Trans cover?  

The only thing I see being a pain is the shift mount sticks up through the trans tunnel so the trans would have to drop low enough for that to clear.  

521-trans.jpg

• Like 3

Fuck I can’t get this out.  Oil pump gets stuck or the trans hits the firewall and I am at a loss.  I took the crank pulley off in the hopes of making it clear but no joy.   Not even sure if I take the pump off it will make it out. 

not sure if my hoist (1 toN HF) not having enough reach or I am doing something wrong.  Already destroyed the plastic housing for the speed gear on the trans trying to take it all out.  I guess my only option is to take the trans off.  

D7507D5A-E231-4828-9933-AEE8E2B18FB9.jpeg

Fuck me I got it out.  What a pain in the ass it was.  And with the my low ceiling it made it a bitch.   And I broke the plastic vent on the trans I think. Don’t matter cause this 4 speed going in the trash.  

EC1C85CB-4E9D-41E8-B345-2B72731979E2.jpeg

• Sad 1

I got it. Now I’m trying to replace the column firewall grommet but can’t get the column out. 

disconnect the 3 bolts at the bottom (all oil leaked out) and the bolts and tube signal wiring inside the cab but it doesn’t want to come out.  Not even sure how it comes out? In the cab? Or do I need take the Pittman arm off and pull it out through the engine bay? 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Ok while I wait for a puller I’ve been talking to crash about what collar and fork to use.

With the stock 521 collar the gap between the collar and the bell housing edge is slightly larger on the 280zx 5 speed; 3 1/2” on my stock 4 speed vs 3. 5/8” give or take on the 5 speed.  Also my new PP is just slightly taller than what is on my truck now by 1/8” or so.  

Can I use my 521 collar and fork or should I use  the collar for an L20b (which I have)?  I have the fork for my 280zx trans as well I can use. L20b collar is slightly longer than what came off my truck. 

EC16F6BF-97F7-4625-B4E0-8662822DA2F6.jpeg