My 1971 521

d.p

Based on the picture you have engaged the splines and have a fettling problem with the pilot bushing.  If you used a Rock Auto bushing it may be slightly undersized, I know mine was.

I found a drill that would ream the bushing in place to the proper size.  Otherwise use a 1/2" split dowel and use sandpaper to ream it. Clean well and grease.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you bouncing the tail end of the tranny around as you push towards the motor ? If it's that close and won't go something isn't right.I know the frustration of doing that yourself.I did mine solo.Try spinning the trans a little to get the splines lined up maybe ? 

Edited by john510
  • Like 1

Bushing came with with my clutch kit.  

Fuck I guess I’ll take it apart and measure it.  Probably should slid the bushing on the input shaft before I did all this to be sure.

Yeah bouncing around from the tail end to no avail.  The clutch alignment tool is fucking tight when I insert it but not sure if it’s because a new clutch or the pilot bushing.

Does it even reach the pilot bushing? 

• Like 2

Looks close enough to have the nose started into the pilot. Use a large rubber hammer on the tail end. Put the mounting bolts in and tighten them all slowly and evenly and it will pull it in and on. If they all snug up and no movement then stop and wiggle up/down and side to side gets the nose started into the pilot.

I have several splines separated from a driveshaft. I stick this in the back end and I can spin the front spline to help engagement. 

• Like 2

Won’t go no matter what I do.  Cant hammer it because I can’t support the trans to hammer it at the same time.  Tired doing it on the floor, on the dolly on the table all get the exact same distance then stop.  Cant thread a bolt because the gap is to big and I don’t have a long enough one. 

At this post I guess I am going to replace the pilot bushing because I’m tired of fighting this fucking thing. to be this difficult ?  

image.jpg

• Like 1

Yes yes and no. Buuuuut I finally got it using the longer bolts from my engine stand. The 4 speed bell housing bolts aren’t long enough so will need to get some new ones. I guess I just needed to persuade it. 

fuck me if I have to do this in the truck.  Might try and drop it in already mated to save me trouble.  

image.jpg

• Like 2

You got enough height but you need more angle in your dangle. And you do have a 6 bolt flywheel right ?

And dude im a beast and it is still hard to push that tranny side down with just the chain. Most guys buy that contraption to adjust angle. I would install tranny and then engine, but go for it, you dont have anyone that can help you ?

• Like 1

Trying to lower that engine and trans together will be a swear fest and ultimately to no avail. You can’t get the tail of the tranny over the crossmember without have the nose of the engine foul on the rad support. All made doubly difficult without a load shifter to tilt the engine. 
I think you’re better off to separate engine and tranny again, and while it’s apart, check the pilot bushing against that input shaft. You should NOT need to pull that trans in with the bolts. If that’s how you did it, it may be a bitch to separate them again. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, greenthumb said:

Trying to lower that engine and trans together will be a swear fest and ultimately to no avail. You can’t get the tail of the tranny over the crossmember without have the nose of the engine foul on the rad support. All made doubly difficult without a load shifter to tilt the engine. 
I think you’re better off to separate engine and tranny again, and while it’s apart, check the pilot bushing against that input shaft. You should NOT need to pull that trans in with the bolts. If that’s how you did it, it may be a bitch to separate them again. 🤬

Thats what I said.^^^^^^

• Like 1

Yeah not going to go with the trans attached.  And I already got it off with a couple whacks with a rubber mallet.  It’s tight for sure but at this point it’s seating inside the pilot bushing so do I really got anything to worry about?  

I also forgot to install the color and fork so it had to come apart anyway.  I figure now I’ll get it up in the truck and go from there.  And yeah I can get someone to help me but I really just want to do it myself regardless of how hard it is. 

image.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 2

Well I admire the do it yourself. Because you can.

On another note you forgot to put the throw out bearing and fork ???????????????????????????? no no no

And it will be easier, get trans in bolt up trans mount leaf then front side  jacked up and get it up in the trans hump and start dropping engine to mate to it.

Now you will have to lower and raise jack and play with it to get right and also wiggle the engine back and forth and side to side to get the trans output shaft in the tight vagina.

And alot of mother fuckers out of your mouth and a possible wrench getting thrown.

Edited by mrbigtanker
  • Like 2

Lol I thought it’s got to be easier taking the cab off.  If I had the height in my garage I would have installed a lift but I don’t.  

Got the for and collar installee and I pulled the pp and clutch off and it seems the clutch alignment tool slides in a little easier. Other than taking the flywheel off and not sure how to check the pilot bushing. Sick and tired of lifting this stupid trans around. Besides 49er game on in a little bit anyways so I think I and done with this today. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, d.p said:

Lol I thought it’s got to be easier taking the cab off.  If I had the height in my garage I would have installed a lift but I don’t.  

Got the for and collar installee and I pulled the pp and clutch off and it seems the clutch alignment tool slides in a little easier. Other than taking the flywheel off and not sure how to check the pilot bushing. Sick and tired of lifting this stupid trans around. Besides 49er game on in a little bit anyways so I think I and done with this today. 

If all good then get it done. I promise I dont care what any of these mofo's say you will get it done.

By the way double check the pilot bushing that you did not squash it so the shaft slips in easier.

• Like 2
Just now, mrbigtanker said:

If all good then get it done. I promise I dont care what any of these mofo's say you will get it done.

By the way double check the pilot bushing that you did not squash it so the shaft slips in easier.

I checked it and looks good.  Not damaged or squashed and the clutch tool slides a little freer now so maybe mating the trans did the trick.   

• Like 2
5 hours ago, d.p said:

Yikes.  I don’t think I can with the truck on the ground to clear the front the hoist  legs hit the control arms.   And I have like 1/2” of ceiling left. 

image.jpg

you need more angle and someone under the truck to guide the transmission in and position a jack to lift trans up over the cross member.  do not try to lift it over by hand in case the chain slips and the angle changes.