My 1971 521

d.p

Oh well.  

Got my jakes make firewall column installed. Have a NOS one but decided to just use one of his instead. Had to drill a small hole for the tach wires but happy with it overall.  And you can see those brake lines I want to redo cause they look like shit IMHO. 

304336C5-E534-401D-857F-7A8B11AB168D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Wayno the torsion bar crossmember is already removable,  but there is a crossmember in front of it that is not....

20161005_164626.jpg

It's been so long I forgot about the way it was done, that cross member is an important part of that frame, you do not want to be messing with it, it needs to be solid, and a removable piece is not solid, that torsion bar holder does not add any strength to the frame, it is there to mount the torsion bars and adjust them.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wayno said:

It's been so long I forgot about the way it was done, that cross member is an important part of that frame, you do not want to be messing with it, it needs to be solid, and a removable piece is not solid, that torsion bar holder does not add any strength to the frame, it is there to mount the torsion bars and adjust them.

Which is it?  You can't or shouldn't do it? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wayno said:

Maybe the trick is to add strength so it could be removable.... 

• Like 1

I am sure that there are members on here that think I have done some questionable stuff, their the ones that have to ride in their truck just like I have to ride in mine, I believe that any modification I have made is stronger than what was used before I changed it except for my front tension rods on my 520 and my rear shackle mounts on my 520, I do not load my 520 up with any kind of weight I use my work truck for that so I am good with the rear shackle mounts, the front tension rods are another story, I have been watching them, I don't like what I have, but I have not driven the truck in a very long time now, I start it every once in a while but that is about it, if it was a daily driver I would have come up with something else by now.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, d.p said:

Oh and before this gets burred, does anyone know the engine mount stud thread and pitch???

Vernier measurements work too...

Measure the diameter ...

Then threads are all based on threads per inch... measure and count how many threads in an inch.....

I dont know if the motor mount would be metric like the motor or sae like the rest of the truck....

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, d.p said:

Lol man I have a day job and other interests, plus its cold as shit here today @35.   Supposed to be in the 60s this weekend so will be nice to work on the truck then.  

Don't 510s have them?  If you make one make me one too my man.  Will pay good money.  

LOL, sounded like an excuse. I've done my share of work under a Datsun in bad weather.

The 521 has a frame so cross member is welded in, the 510 is monocoque or body with suspension and drive train hung on it or bolt on cross members. Yes the torsion bars are anchored on this cross member. It would be better to cut a large section of the tunnel out to poke the rear of the transmission back up into above the cross member, then bolt it back in place.

• Like 1

Man I am sitting at my desk on a zoom meeting bull shitting on Ratsun.  I have no interest in doing that in my cold ass garage. and @mainer311If I wanted to go downstairs and figure out the thread and pitch on my own I would but I would rather ask here where the chances are pretty good that someone already knows the answer. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

Wayno the torsion bar crossmember is already removable,  but there is a crossmember in front of it that is not....

20161005_164626.jpg

This is swapped in the 620 and the 720s.  Trans cross member is reomavable and the torsion bar cross member is welded.

Edited by Charlie69
1 hour ago, d.p said:

That blows Wayno's theory about not messing with the cross member out of the water. 

Plus that's where the transmission mounts.. I'll be having a good look under my truck, that's actually the same crossmember I was thinking about modifying slightly to tuck the exhaust better....

I'm still thinking I could weld something behind it for strength , or even make just a section of the crossmember removable to allow clearance to the transmission.....

• Like 1

Back to my engine mounts, the nuts are 10x1.25 but the studs are not.   It appears that whoever put those on last time struggled with the same thing I am, the thread/pitch of the studs themselves.  I tried to buy a metric tap/die but they didn't have any that size in HD.  

Somebody measure the stud and tell me the size please.  I will be eternally grateful.  

29 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

This is a complete stab in the dark, but looking at a picture of engine mounts, it could be 3/8-24. It's definitely a fine thread.

If it is that is the only die I don't seem to have in my set.  😞