A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Unfortunately this wasnt suppose to be an oil debate, it was supposed to be a drain plug opinion question .... 

And yes we definitely need to get together.....

Hahah yea... ratsun at its best! 

I've been running the copper crush washers from nissan on my KA. Won't run the nissan filters though.... the rubber seal is too small and had one blow out on me... so I run the Bosch filters.

I've run all manner of cheap plastic and fiber washers before with success. Although the plastic ones always seem to deform to much for my liking and not uniformly leaving the potential for leaks. I like the fiber looking ones I use on my Tacoma from Toyota. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I run the Shell Rotella T4 15W-40.  I can do 3 oil changes for the cost one oil change of the Royal Purple.  I tried synthetic and synthetic blend and both seeped from the seals on older engines.  Even on my rebuilt engines I run the Rotella oil.  It is also a good choice for new cam break in oil.

• Like 1
On 6/11/2019 at 6:49 PM, wayno said:

When I have a chronic oil pan leak issue I generally just use another oil pan. 

Well you called this right...... 

Nothing seemed to seal the drain plug and tonight I finally saw it.... 

I crawled under  the oil pan and watched... sure enough I think I found a tiny crack, the paint has been hiding it.....  i have probably been making it worse because I've been messing with it lately....

So the obvious fix is to replace the pan but I'll have to see what someone wants for one and if I can get one and how soon.. but I could be in the same mess with another pan....

I also have a friend who can tig weld it and fix it up..... which is probably what I will end up doing.... 

But Is there a temporary fix ?

Can I use jb weld or will that not hold because of the oil?

Should I even both trying?

or should I just pull the pan and weld it up, and fix it right?

Unless someone can say 100% ya the jb weld will work for 6 month or so till winter time without an issue I'll probably yank the pan tomorrow.... I'm trying to minimize datsun down time but I like the idea of keeping the oil in the engine better....

• Like 1

The last pan I had to change out was a SD25 diesel engine pan that had a oil temp sensor welded into the pan, it was weeping around the edges of the weld.

The one before was a 1980 L20b oil pan that I had bought that the wrecking yard had punched a hole in to empty the oil instead of removing the drain plug, they do it that way now, I pound the punched hole as flat as I can and weld the rest of the hole shut with a mig welder, I am not the greatest welder and was weeping in the middle of the weld, I believe I took that pan off and re-welded it, but don't recall for sure how I fixed it.

Your pan was not likely welded on so that is strange, I will say this, I seriously doubt you can weld on it and fix it in position, it will likely need to be removed, thoroughly cleaned, repaired, and then installed again as you likely do not have an extra oil pan.

I have a few extras for a Datsun 521 with an L block, but they are used and I don't recall specifics about any of them except the one front sump modified one I pulled out of a 521, and it has a shitload of welding done to it, PM me if your interested in one and I will take a look at what I have. 

• Like 2

Thanks wayno I'll let you know....

The crack I found is at the edge of the drain plug.... I assume there is a welded in bung where the drain plug goes.... basically that weld is cracking from over tightening..... 

Other than that the pan is is good shape... 

• Like 1

Friend at work is on board to do the welding for me..... I dont trust my ability with my mig welder to do it because of the need to hold back the oil.....

Hopefully between tonight and tomorrow I can get it off and cleaned up... trying to give it to him on Thursday so I'll have it back for the weekend......

Unfortunately I think I'll be missing a car show Saturday but this needs to be fixed....

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

The crack I found is at the edge of the drain plug.... I assume there is a welded in bung where the drain plug goes.... basically that weld is cracking from over tightening..... 

I think you missed this post....

• Like 1

I was able to get home from work and get the oil pan off.... I've got that process down to about 30 minutes......

As I was cleaning it up with some lacquer thinner the crack became even more apparent.... flowed right through, the crack...

Hard To get a good picture of the problem... 

I'll get this to my friend tomorrow and hopefully have it back in a day.....

Only pic I got... upskirt of the engine..

20190618-162030.jpg

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I'd throw a bead all the way around that bung, and then machine/file it flat afterwards if needed. It looks high enough that you shouldn't need to. 

That's basically how he described what what hes gonna do, just gonna let him do what he does... 

Hes a pretty talented guy.... still in the military and does welding and machining for them so I think I am in good hands..... 

He has his own little work shop at home where he does welding and some machining and 3d printing....

• Like 2