A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately it did not fit the block....

Good news is I took some measurements and I think it will still work... I need to cut the top triangle off first and try again..... 

The middle and bottom hole of the bracket do line up to the upper and lower bolt holes on the block where the smog pump would go.... 

And it would place the v belt of the compressor in the correct location.... 

I'll probably do a better write up after I get things done so it's easier to follow ... 

• Like 2

Made some progress in the ac system....

Had to modify the bracket alot.....

20190714-143653.jpg

I still want to slot the new holes for some adjustment..... 

And I'd like to get the bracket up just a little closer under the distributor.....

20190714-144049.jpg

Problem I'm having now is I can't get the compressor on with the bracket installed..... it hits the steering box... 

If I attach the bracket to the compressor i can get the back 2 bolt in on the block..

Plenty of room to adjust the belt....

20190714-172533.jpg

When I'm just about out of adjustment it will hit the steering box but I have plenty of room before that happens..

20190714-172642.jpg

20190714-172707.jpg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

2 bolts is not enough the bracket will eventually break.  Getting there though.  1980 720 L20B had an AC mounted under the air pump on the drivers side of the enginr.

I wont be leaving just 2 bolts..... I might end up welding a piece to the bottom of the bracket so I can catch the bottom 2 holes on the block also.... then I'll have about 5 bolts holding it on..... I still think the front middle bolt will be impossible with the compressor in the way.... 

• Like 1

Early work day allowed me to get some more work done.....

I ended up adding metal to the bottom of the bracket.....

20190715-122022.jpg

Now I can get 5 bolts in, I still didnt bother with the 6th, because after I mount the compressor I'll still need to adjust it.....

20190715-140325.jpg

Pretty happy with it.... 

I also made templates and noted the proper location of the holes....

20190715-121852.jpg

I still need to cut them out better but for now I just wanted get traced out....

• Like 2

Got the condenser mounted today also...

Had to clearance things a bit....

20190715-141649.jpg

20190715-150713.jpg

From underneath...

20190715-150725.jpg

And installed...

20190715-160719.jpg

I was actual able to tap the holes in the condenser for 1/4- 28 bolts.  I want to add another 2 brackets at the bottom.... and I still need to clean up the edges and paint the exposed metal..

Inside evap system will be mocked up next and then I can start routing the hoses....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2

Wow the item I thought would be the easiest to mount might be the hardest....

While the unit fits under the glove box nicely where I need to mount the brackets has stuff in the way..... not to mention I pulled electrical in from the engine bay trying to make that neater, now that extra wire is kind of in the way....

So I so have 2 questions....

1 - can I run a belt on the compressor without it being charged?

I'm assuming just dont power it and I should be ok....

2 - any good trick to align the pulley on the compressor to the one on the crank?

21 minutes ago, Greaser2 said:

Is the SD508 R12 or R134A?

I actually just looked it up because you made me 2nd guess myself....

Says it compatible with both.... 

I am setting it up for the r134a.... from what I've read the green o-rings I got are compatible so hopefully I'm all good...

And for anyone thinking of doing this... I went with a 16 wide  x 12 tall condenser... the reason I positioned mine where it is is because of the lower outlet.... it will exit just under the passenger side of the radiator, so I couldnt move it up any higher....

I definitely wouldn't go any wider but you could get one a little tall if you wanted....

I just found a similar condenser online that is 16 x 14... same as mine just 2 inches taller.....

Screenshot-20190716-184345-Chrome.jpg

i think this would be the best as it will utilize all the room .... any taller and you will get in the way of the hood latch or lower crossmember.....

• Like 1

Actually was just thinking I need to see where I am running the lines.... they dont give you really long hoses in the kits ... I was gonna run down and over but I might have to run across the top..... 

Maybe I'll check that out tomorrow just to see..... 

• Like 1

So it looks like the hose kit I bought has enough lengths to the hoses....

Where you run the lines and how will really determine what you need...

If you wanna hide the lines more or not...

I did have to buy at least 1 more fitting for the #6 line..... by my count I need 6 not 5 like they give you.... at least with the kit I bought....

And the #8 to the compressor would probably need a 90degree adaptor to run down and under the radiator to get to the compressor and some more clearance for the hose in the corner....

I'm actually planning to go across the top and using a bulk head fitting to go through the core support .... so I'll need to pick that up soon.....

I'm trying to get the evaporator systems installed on the interior to make sure I dont need any other fittings....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Greaser2 said:

What’s the dimensions of the unit

This is right from speedway where I got it..... 

"Looking for a simple under-the-dash A/C cooling unit? This compact air conditioning control box is just 16" long 4.25" tall and 11" deep. This unit features two large 2" X 6" air vents in front with a three-speed blower motor and cooling control adjustment."

This was the simplest with just ac and the most compact I found, depth and height are perfect......... any wider definately wont fit...

You could do a heat/ac combo and replace the stock heater box and get rid of the vent/defrost levers ... then there would be more room and other options.... I didn't wanna mess with my heater, just wanted to add ac.... 

• Like 1