A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

8 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Would aircraft paint stripper work or is that to harsh on the aluminum?

I have some that's why I ask.....

That stuff is crazy. It melts latex gloves right off your hand. It would work, but I wouldn't leave it on for long. I used that on my valve cover when I messed up the original paint job.

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Would aircraft paint stripper work or is that to harsh on the aluminum?

I have some that's why I ask.....

I am sure it would work *much* easier than the citrus stripper I used . Aircraft stripper isn't available in my area otherwise I would have used it. Should be fine for the aluminum just make sure to neutralize the stripper before handling your rims. 

If you're going to do this I would consider waiting for when you need new tires as it's crazy easier to do when they are unmounted. 

Edit: Much like you I intend to paint the centers of my rims. I did a bunch of research and settled on the Dupli-color "high performance" wheel coating paint line being good for daily driving until I have the new "sawblades" professionally powder-coated. After stripping the black paint + clear that came on them with the citrus stripper I scotchbrited the rims. I am going to polish them with some mothers and a mothers buffing cone drill bit attachment > clean them with rubbing alcohol > paint the centers > seal with dupli-color clearcoat to make maintenance easy. 

went from this:

ybR4Z4E.jpg

to this so far:

GBi9YHy.jpg

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2

So many ways to go.... That's why I've been considering that plastidip paint..... peels off if I dont like it.... 

I have had thought about the rivits and lip in gloss black and something different in the center.....

Maybe I should see if I can photoshop a pic of my truck and play with rim colors and ideas that way.... 

Right know I just wanna clean up that clear coat yellow cracking look..... 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Ironically, I saw some of those same wheels last night that were gloss black with the rivets polished. That looked good.

I'm leaning towards the dark graphite,  and possibly semi gloss lip and rivits,  but damn that's gonna suck to tape off.... I really dont want anything polished.... 

• Like 1

Thanks for that's brothersgarage..... 

What did you use to do that?

Assuming photoshop?

It Brings the ideas so much to life....

On the truck it looks different then when you look at just the rim or try and picture it in your head....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

#1 - sinister, but maybe a tad too much

#2 - contemporary, but trends only lasts so long

#3 - classic, also makes the wheels look bigger than it actually is

#4 - opposite effect of above, looks off-road-ish

I would have to agree with you evaluation....

Its pretty much in order of how I like it....

1 and 2 are definitely in the lead.... 

But I think I do like the sinister look the best but with the colors I was thinking....

3 is ok, dont like 4..... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

Thanks for that's brothersgarage..... 

What did you use to do that?

Assuming photoshop?

It Brings the ideas so much to life....

On the truck it looks different then when you look at just the rim or try and picture it in your head....

Yep, just a quick photoshop of both pictures together with a new layer for the 'black' on the rims and then I used a layer mask to 'cut out' the rest and make different variations of the 1st all black rim. Added another layer in between to take the yellow out of the clearcoat on the rims to give you a better idea of what you were looking for. Only spent 5 min tops on all of them that's why it's a little uneven in spots, but it was just to help get the ideas out. 

Want to see anything different?

• Like 1

Honestly the 4 ways you did it is perfect....

I cant actually think of any other ways to go, other than like I said a slight color tweak .... 

If it's not to hard to do i wouldnt mind seeing the black lip and rivits with a dark graphite on the center..... 

As much as I like the look of the polished rivits, I think the sinister look is the way I wanna go.... 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I think you should paint the inside dark bronze, and polish the lips. 

Brothers, try it.

That's would be interesting?

I think stroffgren mentioned a magnesium color too.....

Now I wanna do this sooner than later...

Feel free to make any other  suggestions.

This is extremely helpful.....

• Like 1

I know the brown isnt quite what mainer311 or stroffgren had in mind but I can visualize the color on the truck and I dont think it would work for me....

I always had the murdered out or sinister look in mind so the black is winning.....

I liked the very first pic of the all black rim, but the tone seemed light.... I liked  the last one you did had a darker black on the lip and rivits .. but even the center seemed off still... I wouldn't mind seeing the rim solid  with the darker black....

Thanks again for doing this..... 

I fear a cheap rattle can cover up coming.....

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I know the brown isnt quite what mainer311 or stroffgren had in mind but I can visualize the color on the truck and I dont think it would work for me....

I always had the murdered out or sinister look in mind so the black is winning.....

I liked the very first pic of the all black rim, but the tone seemed light.... I liked  the last one you did had a darker black on the lip and rivits .. but even the center seemed off still... I wouldn't mind seeing the rim solid  with the darker black....

Thanks again for doing this..... 

I fear a cheap rattle can cover up coming.....

i think I know what you mean. I can mock that up once I get home.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

I just noticed you’re running a front plate. I know they’re required in mass, but the only time I put one on is during inspection. Haven’t been bagged for it yet, knock on wood.

I have zero luck with that stuff.... my wife never tells me her inspection sticker expired till all of a sudden I'm driving it and I notice.....

Last time I finally had to make my wife drive my Chevy so I could get her a sticker... every day was a different reason she couldnt get there in time....

So I drove it to work so I could get the sticker on my way home... Wouldn't you know as I'm driving there, only about 1 mile away on the highway.... and what comes up and paces me on my left quater, and then behind me.... yup a state trooper.... 

I was sure I was gonna get pulled over, and he just gets off on the next exit....

• Like 1