A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Also found the bottom seal on my steering box is leaking too..... 

Can anyone confirm the part number#

Nissan part 48137-36700.....

seems to be discontinued but found a replacement on ebay.... size seems to be right from what I could measure.... 

And can this seal be done without having to remove the whole steering column?

looks like you can remove the arm and be able to swap the seal...

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Confirmed for  L521 and PL521.

Remove the pitman arm with a puller. Now I seem to remember there being a C clip that holds a washer then the seal is above that but.... maybe not.

Get two suitably long drywall or wood screws and carefully hammer then into the metal shell of the seal and screw them in.

Use vice grips to pull the seal down and off the sector shaft.

Grease the new one and lightly hammer up into place till seated using a suitable diameter piece of pipe that will fit over the sector shaft but small enough to fit against the seal/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a summer stroll event downtown today.... 

20190608-164028.jpg

Clean 240z showed up... old guy has a couple... I guess the other one is all original with only 24000 miles ....

20190608-164017.jpg

I actually thought this bmw looked good...  inline 6 with what looked like a custom fuel injection system.....

20190608-163355.jpg

• Like 2

And for some reason I can not seal my damn drain plug.....

Since the royal purple oil isnt cheap and its fairly fresh in the motor, each time I drain the oil I put it back in a gallon jug to reuse and I'm actually filtering it through a paint strainer to avoid contaminates....

The nice thing is after 3000 miles since I built the motor  i haven't been finding anything on the drain plug magnet or in the strainer.... 

I bought a pack of random drain plugs gaskets, basically all I could find local and today....  it had some nylon ones and a fiber one, so tried the fiber one.... 

Better but I still get a drip...... I could try the nylon one, it is different from the other nylon one i tried before but at things point i dont think that type would seal for some reason...... 

I'm thinking about ordering a pack of these....

Screenshot-20190608-090414-e-Bay.jpg

Atleast it looks like my actual oil pan is staying leak free .... so I'm gaining on it...

• Like 1

My alternator belt has been in need of adjustment, so yesterday I adjusted it as I was messing with the oil drain plug...... 

Well I should have remembered I did that because I was hearing a weird banging sound during startup and shut down...... I thought it was my exhaust the whole time until this morning I rememebered that I adjusted the alternator yesterday....

Sure enough there it was resting on the idler arm..... 

Went to O'Reilly s and got one size shorter belt, i was able to get it on and adjusted and I have about 3/4 inch clearance to the idler arm now.....

• Like 2

So far so good ... altenator squeal is gone and still no drip from the oil pan.....

Except for that damn drain plug..... so I was gonna buy the gaskets I showed earlier and then I found this......

Screenshot-20190611-174402-e-Bay.jpg

The type of gasket I wanna try with a new drain plug.... I figure maybe the drain plug has a defect so why not a new one to rule that out too......

And then I came across this....

Screenshot-20190611-174345-e-Bay.jpg

The idea is cool but it's not magnetic... 

I could just slip a small magnet into the bottom of the pan if I really wanted or needed to...

I'm leaning towards the second one....

Any opinions?

9 minutes ago, wayno said:

When I have a chronic oil pan leak issue I generally just use another oil pan. 

I wish I had a stash of oil pans to try... it just figures I finally got the pan to seal against the block....

I swear if I wasn't using synthetic this wouldnt be happening.... 

Now I'm just trying to prove a point or something.... I'll get that bitch sealed...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

my drain plugs don't have a crush washer and its fine both 510 521

Put synthetic oil in and and let me know how that goes.....

I tested my pan before with a standard copper gasket and it sealed fine with conventional oil..... not so good using synthetic....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

What do you run for oil?

I think it's Pennzoil 10w30 conventional. I refuse to run synthetic in either of my Datsuns. Even today's conventional oil performance far exceeds what they used to get back in the 60's and 70's because of the additives that they have in them today. I also add in some Lucas ZDDP, more so on the roadster R16, since it's a flat tappet engine. Less critical on the L16.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I wont run synthetic I got 191k on this 521 motor and don't want to risk leaks. I change it every 6 months about 6k miles.

I got 3000 miles on mine since the rebuild so I should be able to run synthetics without it leaking.....

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, wayno said:

I do not believe the front and rear crank seals are made for synthetic oils, I sure would be upset if my clutch cover/disc got soaked with that stuff.

Thanks for the concern but I know those are not leaking and they are new and I think from felpro so they should be fine with the synthetic...

I did question the rear main as a possible leak, so when i swapped the transmission I made sure it was not leaking..... plus there looks like a small notch opening on the transmission, to me it looked like a weep hole for the oil if the rear main was leaking.... 

I think I'm doing pretty good keeping synthetic oil actually in a datsun.... I actually have royal purple in everything  from the engine to the rear differential and I swear I'm about 97% leak free..... 

I already have the new seal for the steering box and a new drain plug and gasket will be here soon so all will be good and sealed.....

• Like 1

Late to the oil convo.... but if you consider switching think about the valvoline vr-1 racing oil. Has a hi zddp content. Bad for cats... but good for old motors. Can be tough to find locally but I order it from summit. I think they do both conventional and synthetic 

Also we need to get the dattos together soon 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, demo243 said:

Late to the oil convo.... but if you consider switching think about the valvoline vr-1 racing oil. Has a hi zddp content. Bad for cats... but good for old motors. Can be tough to find locally but I order it from summit. I think they do both conventional and synthetic 

Also we need to get the dattos together soon 

Unfortunately this wasnt suppose to be an oil debate, it was supposed to be a drain plug opinion question .... 

And yes we definitely need to get together.....

• Like 1