A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you talking about rust holes in the bed? And I thought what I’ve read about California inspections was crazy. Here in North Carolina, after a vehicle is 35 years old, you don’t even have to have it inspected. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NC85ST said:

Are you talking about rust holes in the bed? And I thought what I’ve read about California inspections was crazy. Here in North Carolina, after a vehicle is 35 years old, you don’t even have to have it inspected. 

Yup on the bed floor .... 

There are a lot of little holes but structurally its actually really good underneath....

20220710_181046.thumb.jpg.b11eca2b3d76b4bf0b422c4cbb5482ef.jpg

I don't mind the inspection process, another set of eyes to make sure the vehicle is safe isn't to bad... it was mostly his attitude that surprised me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NC85ST said:

CA is really only about emissions. There aren't any chassis inspections 

1 hour ago, d.p said:

20 years old here in MD allows you to register it as ‘Historic’ which means no emissions or inspections.  

I think I drive mine to much to be able to call it historic ... i know at least with the insurance I violate their rules... i dont actually know if we have a historic registration...

At least it's only a safety inspection dont need to worry about emissions...

Similar laws/guidelines? in MD but never enforced. You see all types of 20 year old cars registered as historic (plate says HISTORIC on it so you know). I mean vans, civics, shit boxes anything over 20 is eligible and people abuse the hell out of it. 

I have 1971 plates on my truck so I am sure the fuzz don’t even know it’s registered as historic.   

3 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I don't mind the inspection process, another set of eyes to make sure the vehicle is safe isn't to bad... it was mostly his attitude that surprised me.

How would holes in your bed be a safety issue? 

10 hours ago, d.p said:

How would holes in your bed be a safety issue? 

Exactly....

I was under the impression cab had to have no holes and no one should be able to snag them self on the outside.... the bed floor shouldn't even matter..... 

At this point I'll do what I need to on my end before next year that way it's not a future issue....

17 hours ago, d.p said:

Similar laws/guidelines? in MD but never enforced. You see all types of 20 year old cars registered as historic (plate says HISTORIC on it so you know). I mean vans, civics, shit boxes anything over 20 is eligible and people abuse the hell out of it. 

I have 1971 plates on my truck so I am sure the fuzz don’t even know it’s registered as historic.   

The issue is that mileage gets recorded every year. So unless I drive to CA from MA for car shows, they get suspicious with big mileage changes. It's the state that's a problem, not the local fuzz.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Would they even look if you had a large mat in the bed?

Probably not but at this point who knows.... 

I kind of wish he failed me then I could tell the wife I have no choice I have to spend the money.....

As I stated I have time to figure out what i want to do...  I really want to have a datsun logo carved into a wood floor for the bed... I know it could be done but haven't found anyone local that could do it....

I have seen some wood working done where they cut the design out from the main floor then using a  different woods inlay the design back to one solid piece.....

But my ideas tend to be over what my budget allows...

23 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

The issue is that mileage gets recorded every year. So unless I drive to CA from MA for car shows, they get suspicious with big mileage changes. It's the state that's a problem, not the local fuzz.

Yeah they don't record mileage like that in MD at all and the wording around having a historic vehicle is so open ended that I doubt anyone get's in trouble for it:

A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. A trailer does not qualify for historic registration. They will not be used for employment, transportation to and from employment or school, or for commercial purposes.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

And you guys all complain about CA.

8 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'd rather deal with passing safety over needing to pass emissions.....

I honestly thought CA was bad before I moved to MA… 

The “loophole” is with Cali is basically anything older then ‘75 is fair game, so just mod old cars- technically though if you do a swap you are supposed to swap all the new CARB/Emissions stuff over, but there is no yearly check- ie don’t be stupid and get pulled over by the wrong cop who sends you to the Ref…

I get the safety inspections in MA… but somehow still see a ton of cars that just aren’t safe…. Wish there was some loophole for true classics though. 

• Like 1

There is that guy here n Ratsun who I won't name that has a "built" 521 that comes to mind. The build quality on his truck is so poor, and then there's a pic of the truck with a child seat in it. I wouldn't push that truck down the road let alone have my kids ride in it.

So yeah, double edged sword. Nice that we don't have safety inspection out in the west, but...

3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

There is that guy here n Ratsun who I won't name that has a "built" 521 that comes to mind. The build quality on his truck is so poor, and then there's a pic of the truck with a child seat in it. I wouldn't push that truck down the road let alone have my kids ride in it.

So yeah, double edged sword. Nice that we don't have safety inspection out in the west, but...

Post a link man...

• Like 1

I think you jinxed me DP....

My starter started acting up yesterday....

Went to hit the start button and I got an instant fuse pop.... luckily I was able to replace the fuse and now the solenoid was just clicking not trying to spin ..

After a couple taps with the wrench it came to life and started the truck...

I'll be pulling it out tonight and getting my free replacement on the way...

• Haha 1

Mines been working well since it didn’t.  

On another note I took the truck to get an alignment and the toe on the passenger side was out 2°.  

I mush have not counted the threads when I disconnected the center link to replace the oil pan gasket.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

Mines been working well since it didn’t.  

On another note I took the truck to get an alignment and the toe on the passenger side was out 2°.  

I mush have not counted the threads when I disconnected the center link to replace the oil pan gasket.  

I'm not going to wait for it to screw me.... it worked and started the truck this morning but I don't trust....

I really should have my alignment verified too....

• Like 1